WILDFIRE - new song thread

Helen Hoppus

Just now, daveyjones said:

writing for children is different than writing as children.

So you're saying that blink is writing as teenagers while also writing for teenagers.  How do you know that Stine wasn't writing from the perspective of being a scared child?  That's how I'd write scary stories to best understand what would scare them.

13 minutes ago, M!ke said:

RL Stine first started writing the Goosebumps books when he was 49.  What a hack, for shame on him, writing scary stories aimed at children.  Doesn't he know he should have only been writing for adults?????

False equivalence. The debate was about being genuine about the material you produce.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, theedge00 said:

False equivalence. The debate was about being genuine about the material you produce.

So blink aren't genuine about writing teenage things?  They've been teenagers before, we all have, so we can all relate.  Just as RL Stine was once a child and hence why he wrote stories for children about children in scary situations.  Its pretty similar really.

• Like 1

Man ya'all are fucking depressing lol.

The song is not a master piece it's sorta generic and feels like a filler track but it's still dam good. It's light years ahead of parking lot. Can't believe how much untitled changed half of blink fans. Take that album off the pedistal for just a moment and enjoy some tunes from the guys my dam... 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Ghent's Brother said:

Not really man.  They moved away from it for 1 album and then broke up.  Then tons of time passed and everything changed.

I just don't blame Mark for wanting to write some songs that are similar to what he built his career on.

Untitled, Neighborhoods, Dogs Eating Dogs

22 minutes ago, BlinkAngels182 said:

The song is not a master piece it's sorta generic and feels like a filler track but it's still dam good. It's light years ahead of parking lot. Can't believe how much untitled changed half of blink fans. Take that album off the pedistal for just a moment and enjoy some tunes from the guys my dam... 

I will agree it's lightyears better than the Target song but...

1 generic filler track? Cool

2 generic filler tracks? Fine

3-5 generic filler tracks? Ehh come on guys

6-10 generic filler tracks? WTF is this shit!

10-15 generic filler tracks? Wildflower reaction

46 minutes ago, BlinkAngels182 said:

Why enjoy crap?

18 minutes ago, MattSkibbasuxatguitar said:

I will agree it's lightyears better than the Target song but...

1 generic filler track? Cool

2 generic filler tracks? Fine

3-5 generic filler tracks? Ehh come on guys

6-10 generic filler tracks? WTF is this shit!

10-15 generic filler tracks? Wildflower reaction

Not to take anything away from ya brother but I enjoy ALL blinks catalog of music man. Including California. I myself would be lying if I said it's their best work but I 100% can throw on California and STILL am currently throwing California on from front to back without skipping a track.. As a die hard fan I just don't get what people want. Half of their shit before untitled was cheesy generic poppy punk shit that we all loved.... untitled happened and ya'all expect them to write a fuckin masterpiece every time they click a pen or pick up an instrument. 

• Like 2

I dig the song, but the lyrics spoil it for me. Still can't believe that the lyricists of +44 and Alkaline Trio made this song. A bunch of songs in California have the same themes over again. Starting a fire, fighting in a war, breaking a car, recalling when you were young, and running away from home. It gets so tiring after a few tracks. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BlinkAngels182 said:

Not to take anything away from ya brother but I enjoy ALL blinks catalog of music man. Including California. I myself would be lying if I said it's their best work but I 100% can throw on California and STILL am currently throwing California on from front to back without skipping a track.. As a die hard fan I just don't get what people want. Half of their shit before untitled was cheesy generic poppy punk shit that we all loved.... untitled happened and ya'all expect them to write a fuckin masterpiece every time they click a pen or pick up an instrument. 

What was the other half?

Lol at how ghent sees nothing wrong with these lyrics catering to like 14 year olds. Toms in the band and they evolve and are singing about dealing with death and love songs about their wives. He leaves and now its taking zanax and cheating on your girlfriend and skateboarding outside the local target. Cringe. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Kevin. said:

this band reaaaally should never had gotten back together in 2009 lol. they've added nothing to my life since the reunion besides disappointment. 

Thought you were done with this band after Parking lot came out....yet I've seen you post about every new song coming out...make up your mind. 

WITH THAT SAID,

This is probably going to sound hypocritical after that last post, but I still love this new song. I've obviously been a pretty harsh California critic, but I genuinely really like this song specifically. I think blink has been trying way too hard to "bring back the glory days!" and "let's sound like Enema of the State again!" and it just has not worked (few a few exceptions) until now. I think they were finally able to pull off a good throwback song without it making me roll my eyes or cringe. Why is this song different than any of the other ones for me? I don't know. But it just clicked with me for some reason, while most of the other songs didn't. I loved it right away and immediately listened to it multiple times in a row. The only other California-era songs that I've instantly loved have been Bored to Death and Cynical (I love some others, but I didn't love them right away). 

I honestly expected the worst when I read blink's caption about this song sounding like Enema of the State and California had a baby. I saw that caption and though "ugh, well, here we go..." But I loved it right away. I think it's a great song. I don't know why exactly I like this one so much compared to all the others, but I don't really need a reason I guess (lack of whoa oh's and nana's definitely helps though). I just like it. It just sounds good to me. I think this is one of the few instances of blink-182 successfully making a good "throwback" song.

It's not perfect my any means. The opening guitar riff is starting to get overused almost to the point of it being as bad as whoa's and na's. I'm actually starting to feel bad about complaining about Tom recycling guitar parts so much. But I enjoy this one and I'm not gonna let you guys make me hate it, dammit! It's been too long since I've loved a new blink song, I'm gonna enjoy this moment while it lasts!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

with the teenage crowd that they gained with Enema of the State

ahem, all of us listening to cheshire cat were teens at the time.
i would argue enema / MTV is when they reached early teen, tween, pre-teen, and even primary school kids. which makes it even more complicated, because you have someone in their mid-twenties singing about being in high school, and the listener is a fifth grader dreaming about being in high school.

just saying