WILDFIRE - new song thread

Helen Hoppus

2 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

I have zero problem with them writing songs for teenagers. I just wish they did that better.

So you'd rather have lyrics you don't connect with as opposed to lyrics you do? Or maybe you still connect with teenagers.

What if they wrote a song for 4 year olds? Maybe did a show on sesame street? That is the kind of band you want to listen to? Also odd.

• Like 1

I feel the reason they pander their current music to the younger generation is to grow their fan base  Us old timers have proven we'll buy the music regardless, so why not produce music a younger generation of potential new fans can relate to? 

I honestly don't understand why people are so bothered by it.

Just now, theedge00 said:

Why tho...

To give a younger generation of fans something to relate to. 

The long time fans aren't the only fans in the world. A new generation of fans will now be discovering blink now that they're active again. If they can relate then they'll become fans, they'll buy tickets to shows, they'll buy the back catalogue and so forth. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

So you'd rather have lyrics you don't connect with as opposed to lyrics you do? Or maybe you still connect with teenagers.

What if they wrote a song for 4 year olds? Maybe did a show on sesame street? That is the kind of band you want to listen to? Also odd.

I can still put myself in that mindset, yes. Hell I can listen to a song about being "the other woman" and still enjoy it on a personal level. When done well, it doesn't matter is my point.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MyFriendLuke182 said:

You want a more mature, genuine alternative sound from Blink... and the  hate on The Wonder Years in the next sentence. wtf

Especially their last album deals with themes like death so much better than neighborhoods.

Not hating on Wonder Years, just not a fan of them. That said, they're one of the few bearable pop punk bands for me and they are very genuine. I can actually listen to their music and not cringe at least. I can't say the same about blink during the California era or most modern pop punk bands.

20 minutes ago, 2point5 said:

To give a younger generation of fans something to relate to. 

The long time fans aren't the only fans in the world. A new generation of fans will now be discovering blink now that they're active again. If they can relate then they'll become fans, they'll buy tickets to shows, they'll buy the back catalogue and so forth. 

They have Enema and TOYPAJ :))

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Failedman and his factory won't be able to produce anything other than recycled California tracks. Eventually the gig will be up.

I dunno- Feldwinn has produced some "mature" albums as well. The Used for instance.

• Like 1

Just now, Ghent said:

I dunno- Feldwinn has produced some "mature" albums as well. The Used for instance.

But he has in his mind what Blink should sound like right now, and I don't see him really changing that.

Maybe next Failedman will have them break out the eye liner and makeup and try to write an anti Trump political album in the hopes of pulling an American Idiot.. Would not shock me at all to be honest.

30 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I can still put myself in that mindset, yes. Hell I can listen to a song about being "the other woman" and still enjoy it on a personal level. When done well, it doesn't matter is my point.

It depends on how bad it is. The forgotten youth of suburbia  just makes me cringe. Like first Date bad, only 20 years later. If it is general themes like losing a GF or whatever that is more acceptable.

10 minutes ago, Ghent said:

it's actually amazing how many shitty records Feldmann has produced...

The Used, Attack Attack, All Time Low, 5SOS, SWS, ruining ONE OK ROCK...a man on a mission to destroy modern rock music, really.

Also on the subject of lyrical content, there is nothing wrong with crafting any narrative whatsoever for any one particular artist. It's the fact that the execution is disingenuous and lacks merit in many people's opinion.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

But he has in his mind what Blink should sound like right now, and I don't see him really changing that.

I know it's easy to blame Feldmann for this, but Mark/Trav deserve more of it IMO . As I tried to dissect on the previous page, they didn't like Neighborhoods/DED direction and wanted to return to 3 minute pop punk songs. 

Mark even said in his live Instagram video the other day that he won't rule out +44 in the future because it may be good for "songs that don't fit as Blink songs"... So before they would write whatever, and turn it into a Blink song (Which is where we get highly "experimental/dark" stuff like This is Home, FTG, Love is Dangerous, etc.... now Mark/Trav have this idea of what a Blink song should sound like and are trying to stick to that script.

I think Feldmann helps reinforce that, and makes it sound like 2017 pop-punk with his cheesy production techniques, but he's not solely responsible IMHO. This is Mark/Trav's idea of 2017 blink-182 with some input from a producer who knows this genre. They aren't just intentionally releasing stuff they think is dog-shit. They know damn well what they are releasing, and I'm sure in their opinion this is what they want Blink to sound like now and are super happy with it. Agree or disagree, but to Mark/Travis this is Blink, and I'd say they are in a pretty good position to decide that!

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

It depends on how bad it is. The forgotten youth of suburbia  just makes me cringe. Like first Date bad, only 20 years later. If it is general themes like losing a GF or whatever that is more acceptable.

First Date isn't even that bad. I still can see people in their early 20s having the same thoughts and feelings. It's universal in it's appeal. Again, it's all in how it's done.

2 hours ago, Olidamus said:

Enema and TOYPAJ were certainly written down to kids. There is no question. But Blink was riding the wave of what worked and it was an extension of their early days.

the key here is "written down." earlier blink didn't say "kids" and "parents" and "mom and dad."

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

First Date isn't even that bad. I still can see people in their early 20s having the same thoughts and feelings. It's universal in it's appeal.

be careful how you state "universal." early 20s? sure, maybe. early 30s? even less. early 40s? forget about it.