Don't Mean Anything Discussion Thread

Scott.

For me this one is kinda just a couple different mediocre song ideas shoved together.

"Dearest Mom/Dear Old Dad" kinda make me laugh and throw off the verses' dark vibe, and the chorus seems to have no relation to the verses and is very sugary sweet

But like I said I actually do like the "long way back to the middle of the road" part haha and the bridge is pretty cool.

Other than the verses this one kinda reminds me of something that would be on the All American Rejects first album or something (which I like but was always very clearly on a lower tier and a whole different "thing" than Blink was)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

For me this one is kinda just a couple different mediocre song ideas shoved together.

"Dearest Mom/Dear Old Dad" kinda make me laugh and throw off the verses' dark vibe, and the chorus seems to have no relation to the verses and is very sugary sweet

But like I said I actually do like the "long way back to the middle of the road" part haha and the bridge is pretty cool.

Other than the verses this one kinda reminds me of something that would be on the All American Rejects first album or something (which I like but was always very clearly on a lower tier and a whole different "thing" than Blink was)

I think the verses are my only thing I like about this song (after the "dears"). Matt has the best verse of the whole song, although the "dear old dad" was just laughable. "The one and only son you'll never have" was my favorite line out of the song.

2 minutes ago, MyFriendLuke182 said:

sorry I'm not a native english speaker but is the line "it don't mean anything" gramatically correct? Shouldn't it be "doesn't"?

I asked the same on the first page with no answer. It´s really bothering me when I listen to that song...lol

3 minutes ago, MyFriendLuke182 said:

sorry I'm not a native english speaker but is the line "it don't mean anything" gramatically correct? Shouldn't it be "doesn't"?

Yes that's right. I've heard don't be used in place of doesn't to get the right amount of syllables for a rhythm in a song, but sometimes it is used otherwise to sound "reckless" or "cool" or something. I dunno. Annoys me too! Haha

• Like 1

This one is easily the best pop punk song on the deluxe, but then again the other two were the worst proper tracks of this whole era and among the worst blink songs ever ("Parking Lot" and "Wildfire"). They basically encapsulated the worst aspects of California...

Here, the somber melody suits them better, and while the lyrics are still weak, at least they are a bit more specific and don't feel so formulaic. We even get a great moment such as the "it's a long way back to the middle of the road" line, the way Mark enunciates it.

Bridge is awesome, I always think Third Eye Blind is on and it's Stephan Jenkins who's singing "When we all fall to the surface sometimes / And we all fall back where we belong". Of course that comparison is a compliment.

The "dont" instead of "doesn't" has never bothered me as much as say Tom in BCR singing "I'm sorry, please forgive me, believe me if you could/would" because to me that makes no sense. surely it's believe me if you can? or "would you believe me if you could" or something? I don't know why but that lyric has always irked me to crap.