California Deluxe -- Reviews/First Impressions

boxelder

1 minute ago, _Kyle_ said:

If you can't take criticism, maybe don't come in a forum thread for that?

I can handle it fine i really give no fucks about your opinion at all. Just annoying seeing half the people on here claim to be sound experts and shit. I don't know the first thing about production or anything so that's why i rarely bitch about it. 

1 minute ago, ...Dan... said:

I'm fucking tired of hearing you say that to be honest, it's like your defensive safe space comment when people are mean about precious little blink and Feldy, it's the internet equivalent of you sticking your fingers in your ears and going "LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU"

We're all here because blink had a massive influence in our life and I'm fairly certain we're all going to listen irregardless of the little things that bug us and then we're going to talk about it. Go to Reddit and talk to the mongoloids there if you want a load of boring surface chat about how awesome every little thing about blink is.

You could always ignore my posts? Pretty simple. Just scroll right past. Not that fucking hard buddy. 

7 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

That's fair enough, I can see why some people might like that style but there are clear reasons why others might not.

If it's subjective then make accept that others have a different opinion than you? not that hard really. Most of us like the fucking songs, just iffy on the production.

I accept differing opinions, but it has literally been presented as fact in this very thread that Feldmann doesn't know how to produce music. I draw the line there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

I accept differing opinions, but it has literally been presented as fact in this very thread that Feldmann doesn't know how to produce music. I draw the line there.

he really doesn't though, he's even noted in reviews for being bad at it. I know you attack people for their looks when they point these things out, but it's fucking true. he's not good.

Not a fan of the production at all really, sounds too computerized.  But have to give credit on some of the effects on the Deluxe.

The synth thing at 2 minutes mark in LTH hits me as hard as about anything Blink has done..the drum effects in the deluxe so much better too than Cali.  They actually add to the song this time around.

So I will give him credit for improving.  Although a song like Misery and Parking lot are so poorly produced.  I don't want to be a snob though and beat a dead horse, but it's really cheesy. 

• Like 1

Actually feel the production on DLX is better to California. Enjoying it. I've said it before but I'll say it again, I much prefer this sort of production to the mess that was Neighbourhoods. That album could have been golden with a decent producer. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

You're telling me to ignore your posts if I don't like them...surely it would make sense for you to take your own advice on board and ignore the posts that you don't like about the production on California?

How bout we just agree to disagree and go back to being bros? 

Just now, Chewy030 said:

How bout we just agree to disagree and go back to being bros? 

Haha all good with me, we've all got an opinion.

At least we both like the actual songs this time.

Back on topic...has anyone been starting on Misery and stopping before Can't get you more Pregnant? I think those two songs are really strange songs to start and end on as they're the two weakest. I can see myself getting rid of them off my playlist at some point and just listening from tracks 2-9.

Just now, ...Dan... said:

Haha all good with me, we've all got an opinion.

At least we both like the actual songs this time.

Back on topic...has anyone been starting on Misery and stopping before Can't get you more Pregnant? I think those two songs are really strange songs to start and end on as they're the two weakest. I can see myself getting rid of them off my playlist at some point and just listening from tracks 2-9.

Man i fucking LOVE Misery. I have a weird thing about having full albums though and not deleting songs from the album even if i don't listen to them very much. I really think Parking Lot should of been in the middle of the pack somewhere as far as order goes. 

3 minutes ago, 2point5 said:

Actually feel the production on DLX is better to California. Enjoying it. I've said it before but I'll say it again, I much prefer this sort of production to the mess that was Neighbourhoods. That album could have been golden with a decent producer. 

Now that we can agree on. Imagine Neighborhoods with a producer, independent engineers, and BRIDGES.

• Like 3

I actually slightly reordered Cali original. I thought Cali (the track) was FAR too poignant and good to then go into BroRhap. I haven't seen much love - or indeed opinion at all - for Cali (the track) but for me it's one of my personal favourites. Probably because i can kind of relate to the first half of the first verse quite heavily, which, as much i still enjoy the album, there's not much for me to relate to.

Will probably have a slight tweak and tinker with DLX too

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ryan1125 said:

I completely respect your opinion, I just think it's lame when people act like Blink/Feldmann are intentionally releasing dog shit and that neither are competent enough to release music. The songs sound great to plenty of people, sure there will be things that bug people like yourself, but to act like anyone else would magically do it better is just a silly fantasy exercise IMO. 

I majored in Film & Television, if I don't like a movie, I just don't like the movie. I don't blame the editor, videographer, certain production techniques, or pretend that I know so much more than them and say how dumb/incompetent they are. And I certainly don't let a minor annoyance ruin the whole film for me.

It's all subjective, as Ghent said. I guess I should feel lucky to not be super bothered by this stuff, but I think you guys are in the extreme minority that listen to these songs and say "Well fuck I just wish the bass would breathe." lol.

Well he majored in Audio engineering... Not music, so you're points a little off.   Music is all sound, film is a multitude of things.

15 minutes ago, ryan1125 said:

I completely respect your opinion, I just think it's lame when people act like Blink/Feldmann are intentionally releasing dog shit and that neither are competent enough to release music. The songs sound great to plenty of people, sure there will be things that bug people like yourself, but to act like anyone else would magically do it better is just a silly fantasy exercise IMO. 

I majored in Film & Television, if I don't like a movie, I just don't like the movie. I don't blame the editor, videographer, certain production techniques, or pretend that I know so much more than them and say how dumb/incompetent they are. And I certainly don't let a minor annoyance ruin the whole film for me.

It's all subjective, as Ghent said. I guess I should feel lucky to not be super bothered by this stuff, but I think you guys are in the extreme minority that listen to these songs and say "Well fuck I just wish the bass would breathe." lol.

I don't think and never said they are intentionally releasing dog shit. This is a thread where people are saying their opinion on the album and i said mine. for fun I did the pro tools thing just so see if what i was hearing was correct and it was. 

and you really don't have to be a sound expert to hear that the sound is distorted and way to compressed. it's just sad why it is like that because i could have enjoyed the songs. It's fine if people like it, but generally, today, that kind of work is not good quality or professional amongst audio engineering, audiophiles etc. (watch Pensados Place if you're interested)

Daft Punk wrote and recorded an entire album for this cause and the first track is even titled Bring Life Back To Music. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

blink-182- California......Nominated for Grammy Award, doesn't meet blink-182online audio quality standards.

Haha if you're going that route, you should know they have categories for Engineering and Producing and obviously Cali wasn't nominated in either.

• Like 4