California Deluxe -- Reviews/First Impressions

boxelder

3 hours ago, daveyjones said:

definitely. from my own perspective, blink is the only 'lightweight pop punk band' that i listen to. everything else is much harder, or more "punk" or whatever. at least, bands that are way smaller but still influential (bad religion, the descendents, NOFX, all the 90s fat / epitaph stuff etc).

it definately colors how you receive blink, what side of the listening dial they are on for you personally.

Absolutely dude, love all those bands, and I also consider Blink to be on the "lighter" side of what I listen to haha.

2 hours ago, daveyjones said:

here's mine, beginning in order of exposure, from 1993 to 1995:

green day, the offspring, bad religion, pennywise, NOFX, rancid, then all the rest of epitaph / fat, the descendents, screeching weasel, then blink.

All great bands love Rancid especially 

• Like 1

Yeah not here either. Im meeting a few of my friends who were all die hard blink fans. I suggested listening to California and there was an awkward moment. 2 of them had heard it and dont like it except maybe Cynical and bored to death and they hate the deluxe edition. So i guess we're not listening tonight haha. 

Its funny because they got me into blink around '98 and we loved blink to pieces. 

45 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

It def isn't, in the UK at least anyway. 

Definitely agree! I mean I've showed people Ghost on the Dance Floor, yet they thought it was heavy. Then they thought songs like Stockholm Syndrome & Obvious were too angry or something.

The only time really I've seen people in UK hate on blink-182 are the dad rock people. People who are around 40-50 that play in pub cover bands, playing songs from Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon, people who just judge blink-182 on the All the Small Things/What's My Age Again videos, not understanding the joke behind those videos. There are "dad rock" people who literally think blink-182 are homosexuals or something.

These are the same people that think Green Day is a good band, and love the American Idiot album, yet haven't heard blink's smiley face album. If that album was the first ever blink-182 album, older people would respect blink a lot more IMO. But blink unfortunately enough will always have that reputation, they were on the way of being looked at differently until Tom left in 2005.

Ironically enough, a lot of younger people, or people around my age 20-25 consider blink on the same level as Green Day, Foo Fighters etc.

Over the years, after the reunion, it became cool to listen to blink for a little bit, now we're back to the awkward glances when I say I'm going to see blink this summer and I still like them. But it's always been like that since the day I got into them, so who cares.

To me they're no different from bands like NOFX, Face to Face, Lagwagon, Bad Religion, Millencolin, Descendents & co. I know, they're the lighter band but I grew up listening to all these bands together. 

• Like 1

I think Descendents at their poppiest are way poppier and lighter than Blink ever were. 

I went Blink-Green Day-Goldfinger-Descendents-NOFX-Rancid-Screeching Weasel- Queers-Mr. T Experience-Muffs

I really liked Pennywise's From the Ashes album, other than that I can't think of a more mediocre punk bands. I feel like it's a band people either love or hate, but I just think they are so middle of the road that I really can't have much of an opinion about them. But they have some songs that are really great too like "Come Out Fighting", but they are rarities. 

Listened to the FACT song. Not my thing really, but much better than "Parking Lot". Some cool stuff in here, but the gang vocals are annoying as fuck. 

56 minutes ago, thongrider said:

What?

They're acting like they're still 21 years old. It wasn't that hard to understand.

My turn now:

I think Descendents at their poppiest are way poppier and lighter than Blink ever were.

What?

I'm seeing the Descendents in a couple of weeks. The last (and only) time that I saw them they played 35 songs in 58 minutes. It was awesome. Milo had a great hypercaffeinated energy, but I don't think they have ever been lighter than blink. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bastard said:

They're acting like they're still 21 years old. It wasn't that hard to understand.

My turn now:

What?

This is the guy who wrote "What's My Age Again?" at 27! I mean the music pretty much sucks, but to me the immaturity feels more forced than anything. 

I don't think Blink has ever made something as light and poppy as