Blink-182 Future.

alkaline_skiba

I think they were playing it safe with their first record together. The deluxe record although is way more experimental and the way to go. I really hope they will take their time writing and recording the next record, just the three of them. Unfortunately, I see no way that they will drop Feldmann as their producer...but please just keep him away from the writing and creativity process. That's the only way to bring out the best of Mark and Matt's writing skills. I am definitley exciting what the band brings on the table next, but for now I'm going to listen the shit out of the deluxe record.

Ideally, I'd like Tom to come back to blink and be willing to record an album the way the smiley face album was recorded. All of this with a producer too but that's not gonna happen any time soon. I do think blink can still be as great as they were back then with or without Tom.

1. New producer but if they're gonna keep Feldy, then Feldy needs to let blink take time with their writing. He needs to stop forcing them to write hit/radio songs. Blink have always been capable of hits, even when they're not trying to write hit songs. Feeling This & I Miss You are good examples. Just let Mark & Skiba write whatever they wanna write. If that's gonna sound like +44 meets Trio, then so be it. At least it'll be natural.

2. Stop forcing gang vocals & woahs. They don't suit blink. Blink aren't Offspring and they aren't a trash generic modern pop punk band with gang vocals either. Nananas, dadadas, ladadas and ahhs suit blink, but blink used them so carefully. They weren't on almost every damn song. Enema had 2 songs with nananas. TOYPAJ had 2 songs with those kind of things. They're good when they're on like 1-2 songs an album.

3. Blink's success came from pop punk. But that doesn't mean they should be sticking with pop punk. I love it when a band experiments. If blink are gonna come up with a pop punk sound for their next album, at least make it stand out. None of the pop punk sound on California stood out at all. They sounded like every other modern pop punk band or how they used to sound. They should take that step forward. Feeling This is probably one of the best pop punk songs ever. But it was so fresh. Only blink themselves can come up with it. And even to this day, I've never heard a pop punk band sound like that. Feeling This even today has aged so well. California already sounds dated to me in a lot of the songs. If they're gonna do pop punk, then at least make it fresh. None of this crap that FOB, ATL have already done. I'd rather blink push their sound though. Songs like Kaleidoscope, Long Lost Feeling, Heart's All Gone, Hey I'm Sorry suit blink, as that's what is natural to them. But one thing I do know... if the song is about Tom DeLonge, it'll be a fucking good song no matter how pop punk sounding it is. Even with this "first thought, best thought" method Mark can write killer songs about space boy!

4. Another thing with California and the Deluxe (even the good songs) is the I–V–vi–IV progression. They overused that so fucking much on California that it was almost laughable. I shook my head (even on the great songs) when I first heard them. Stop using that progression or at least save it for just 1-2 songs an album. All I think of when I hear that is that damn Key of Awesome youtube video called "Four Chords". Blink never overused that on previous albums. A lot of albums produced by Feldy are full of this chord progression (as well as the woahs, gang vocals, nananas).

5. I want some Mark only songs and some Skiba only songs. I'd also like at least one call and response song with them. None of this "I'll sing the first verse, you do the second verse. You do the first chorus, I'll do the second chorus". 1-2 songs is fair enough, but not every damn song.

6. One thing I hate about California is almost all the songs have no breathing space. Sometimes, instrumental only parts work. Not every bridge has to have vocals. California songs were way too busy at times. There should be a balance. Neighborhoods was full of instrumental bridges but California was full of singing bridges. A balance is needed here.

7. I'd love for a guest vocalist to feature on this album. But without forcing it. Don't just bring a rapper for the sake of it and putting him in a song where he doesn't fit at all (PLG). Make it suit the style of the song. Make it stand out. The way Mark comes in on Elevator. The way Robert Smith comes in on All of This. The way Carol comes in on Make You Smile. Knowing Feldy, he'll most likely bring in someone that's way too obvious. Like the dude from Sleeping with Sirens or something.

With or without Feldy. With or without Tom, they can still be as good as they used to be IMO.

• Like 2

'sounds like FOB mixed with Linkin Park'

'sounds like Simple plan meets the Killers'

'Goldfinger with a touch of Toypaj Blink'

I don't want to see anymore if this.

Do you know who Blink, +44, and Boxcar racer sounded like? No one, themselves.

Start making your own sound. Last Train Home was a hint at this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thongrider said:

Would love if they got Tom involved somehow. And Skiba also had more influence. I really hope they won't go anywhere near the Los Angeles/ Fighting the Gravity direction again. 

I just don't see Tom coming back.  

Unless his kids start wanting to go to an expensive college ;)

Kidding, but I can only maybe see him coming back for something if they start making really good music again and his selfishness starts kicking in

17 minutes ago, LastTrainHomefangirl said:

I just don't see Tom coming back.  

Unless his kids start wanting to go to an expensive college ;)

Kidding, but I can only maybe see him coming back for something if they start making really good music again and his selfishness starts kicking in

so basically we're just waiting for his selfishness to kick in at this point :)

i've been pretty open about not enjoying the direction they went in with both cali and cali dlx. it feels like a whole 'nother band to me, and it shouldn't have to be that way if mark and matt were writing honestly (mainly matt at this point, i think). if feldmann can be banished for all eternity and they go make a record with, say, bill stevenson (not so much a stretch considering they were thinking about it when tom was in the band, and ADTR worked with him last year), it'd be a step in the right direction for me. add to the mix some more fine-tuned writing, and maybe even some songs with JUST matt or JUST mark, we'd be good. the lack of that is something we don't discuss enough as a problem of these last two albums -- each one has the same formulaic trade-off between the two.

if they stick with feldmann and keep putting out cali rehashes, i'm gonna have to stop paying attention honestly. it's a little embarrassing

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LastTrainHomefangirl said:

@boxelder there's been total of I wanna say 5 Mark/Tom trade off songs since 2003.  There were 24 in Cali/deluxe.

Let that sink in.

There was also a new person singing for the first time in the band's history. Pretty big deal. The split vocals helped ground them during this period.

Would have been weird having a bunch of Matt only songs, especially on Cali disc 1. They needed the familiarity of Mark's voice to get through the transition of dumping Tom.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ghent said:

There was also a new person singing for the first time in the band's history. Pretty big deal. The split vocals helped ground them during this period.

Would have been weird having a bunch of Matt only songs, especially on Cali disc 1. They needed the familiarity of Mark's voice to get through the transition of dumping Tom.

Try to be subjective for once here. Would you, personally, enjoy some Matt Only or Mark only songs, or even just less both get verses  group chorus?  I bet most people would say yes. 

Blink has been separated for years, 14 if you count Tom's heart being not in it.

I don't think it'd be that big of a shock to anyone.

Just now, LastTrainHomefangirl said:

Try to be subjective for once here. Would you, personally, enjoy some Matt Only or Mark only songs, or even just less both get verses  group chorus?  I bet most people would say yes. 

Blink has been separated for years, 14 if you count Tom's heart being not in it.

I don't think it'd be that big of a shock to anyone.

On disc 1 I would not have wanted any Matt only songs. Wouldn't have minded a couple on the deluxe but still prefer split vocals up to this point.

And wasn't your username just MattSkibaSux? Why would you want Matt only songs there hoss?

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

On disc 1 I would not have wanted any Matt only songs. Wouldn't have minded a couple on the deluxe but still prefer split vocals up to this point.

And wasn't your username just MattSkibaSux? Why would you want Matt only songs there hoss?

*MattSkibaSuxatGuitar

Because he does.

But he doesn't suck when he writes normally and for himself. When he tries to write generic poppy stuff he sucks. But I'd prefer some duds as sole songs versus messing up a good Mark song with a ugly chorus or vise versa with a bad Mark verse.  Bored to Death it worked and introduced Matt.  After that it got beyond repetitive.

Song tradeoffs vocally is what made Blink albums so dynamic and good.

I think they had too many split vocals on DED and Neighborhoods, even self-titled. California is just ridiculous. If we didn't have pure Matt songs, we could at least have some pure Mark songs. 

The vocal trade-offs are more of a reflection of the current writing process being a collaborative effort for once IMO. Tom has said that before Mark would sing songs he wrote, Tom would sing songs he wrote. For this album they were in the same room writing every song together. 

I didn't think they would have a "Matt" only song on California, just too risky for their debut release. I fully expected a "Mark" song, but at the same time I think Mark/Trav wanted to make Matt feel like a "real" member of Blink-182, so maybe they didn't want to hurt his feelings by saying "Hey, this is just going to be a Mark song". (I'm sure he would've understood, but it's just one of those things.)

I definitely hope to hear some Mark or Matt only songs going forward.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, ryan1125 said:

The vocal trade-offs are more of a reflection of the current writing process being a collaborative effort for once IMO. Tom has said that before Mark would sing songs he wrote, Tom would sing songs he wrote. For this album they were in the same room writing every song together. 

I didn't think they would have a "Matt" only song on California, just too risky for their debut release. I fully expected a "Mark" song, but at the same time I think Mark/Trav wanted to make Matt feel like a "real" member of Blink-182, so maybe they didn't want to hurt his feelings by saying "Hey, this is just going to be a Mark song". (I'm sure he would've understood, but it's just one of those things.)

I definitely hope to hear some Mark or Matt only songs going forward.

You consistently have the most reasonable and well thought out takes.  Probably the best poster here actually.

• Like 2