Matt Skiba: The Problems Blink-182 Had While Making Latest Album 'California'

Ghost

On 5/18/2017 at 1:54 AM, Osgod said:

The mixes are horrible! There is way too much going on in almost every song and no room to breath.

the mixes are light years better than Neighborhoods. I'm sure I would enjoy that album if it was actually mixed better than demo quality, hell Cheshire Cat sounds better than Neighborhoods... but it was only recorded for some quick cash not to be anything special, they got what they paid for

On 5/24/2017 at 9:53 AM, Ghent said:

"forward" is a subjective concept

It is, and I agree with you there.

Their new stuff, outside of a few isolated tracks, is not innovative for the band. If you took San Diego, Bored to Death, Last Train Home, and kept going in that same vein, it would be a pretty decent and logical step forward for the band. 

But with every subsequent release, it becomes more and more clear that the band peaked (both in quality and innovation) with Self-Titled. It's not even a Tom Delonge argument anymore, as I think Mark's lyrics went downhill after then too (outside of +44 of course). Cumulation of events i guess, Jerry Finn dying, Tom becoming more delusional with a worse outlook on what made good music, and Mark's writer's block. Skiba wasn't a bad choice, but he's definitely no saviour for the band either. 

• Like 1