Heaven

M!ke

I wanted to make a topic for this song specifically, I think this is the best song Tom made with Angels and Airwaves and I think it ranks among Tom's all time best songs at that (I think Anomaly ranks up there too, but its kind of a more traditional song, one that really could have been a blink song).  Its the kind of song along with the likes of The Adventure that really stood on its own for a reason for Angels and Airwaves to exist outside of blink or Box Car Racer.  Its also the song that really kinda gets me on board with his overall goal with Angels and Airwaves, to take us on a journey, to show us Tom's vision.  I was never against the idea of Angels and Airwaves, I just think that overall he did a poor job in executing what he set out to do.  But he had his moments, there's a solid album and a half of AaA songs that I genuinely really enjoy.  But Heaven takes the cake.  I mean the song is pretty simple overall, but the message is timeless: we don't quite understand everything, but lets enjoy it for what it is, because at the end of the day, life is beautiful.  If more of this band's music stayed on that topic and executed it at this level, I think I'd be a full-on fan, instead of the hesitant critic that I am.  I also really just love how it kind of just wraps up the first two albums wonderfully and puts a bow on it if you will.  I dunno, perhaps this doesn't deserve its own topic, but I just think there is something more to this song that I'd really love to hear more of from Tom.  What are your thoughts on Heaven?  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Smalls said:

It's too fucking long. Catchy riff though. I never got into "the movement" of Ava I always thought that motherfucker was cray cray.

Oh he's definitely cray cray, no doubt about that.  I just mean that this was one of the few songs that I could almost buy into the idea of the "movement" that the band was supposed to be all about.  Though it still wasn't enough.

I fucking love this song. I love AVA and this has always been one of my favourite songs. This whole album is amazing and this is a great cap off. The style of this song is what I wish they really did more off. 

I found that video posted above a long time ago and have always loved it as well

well worth the topic @M!ke

There are songs that grow on you, songs that lose their appeal over time, songs that you'll always like; then there are songs like Heaven that you'll always have a low opinion of. Heaven is such a cheap, soulless rehash of The Adventure/Valkyrie Missile. While epic AvA songs can be quite enjoyable, Heaven's every melody somehow manages to be right outside the range that appeals to me. There isn't a single bit about Heaven that I like. It may even be the worst AvA song.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, platypus409 said:

Half the songs on California are the bored to death intro re-done.

I actually love the beginning and end that include samples of Valkyrie Missile.

Are you using California to legitimate Heaven as a Valkyrie Missile remake? That's a solid argument, bro.

Yeah, Heaven is a remake of that song, and California sucks, for that same reason, amongst others.

Just now, Ghost said:

I never said Heaven sucks. It's aaaall in your minds, guys.

I didn't say you did either.  I'm just saying that I note its lack of major originality in respect to the AaA songs released up until that point, and it doesn't bother me at all, specifically because I think it did it better than the song it sounds like prior to it.  Plus it makes sense for it to sound like Valkyrie anyway, Tom said the first two AaA go together, and you can definitely tell that's the case, they could have been a double disc album, and when the first song is Valkyrie and the last is Heaven, then you're left with 2 solid bookends in my opinion.

Well, saying that "Being a remake doesn't instantly make anything bad [...]", implies that you understood that me saying it is a remake is a bad thing, because you were answering to me.

And, as I said, is aaaaaaaall in our head. I enjoyed that song when it was released, and is a good way to close that record.

Are you using California to legitimate Heaven as a Valkyrie Missile remake? That's a solid argument, bro.
Yeah, Heaven is a remake of that song, and California sucks, for that same reason, amongst others.

That came out wrong. I find new Blink extremely blah and I wasn't trying to legitimize anything. I thought you were a California fan so I was trying to be a smart ass. Maybe the first 2 letters of your profile name threw me off and I thought I was replying to ghent.

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Well, saying that "Being a remake doesn't instantly make anything bad [...]", implies that you understood that me saying it is a remake is a bad thing, because you were answering to me.

And, as I said, is aaaaaaaall in our head. I enjoyed that song when it was released, and is a good way to close that record.

Nope I was just trying to make it clear that I'm aware that its a remake in a sense, though also not really, but I don't find that to necessarily be a bad thing.  You're just assuming i was thinking you were saying the song was shit, and nope, that's not what I was thinking at all honestly, and frankly I don't really care if you do think the song is shit or not.  Just wanted to clarify that there isn't anything inherently wrong with a remake.

Well, I guess you were answering someone in a thread a bout a song in which some have posted opinions, instead of talking alone, but whatever. To me, a remake does have that kind 'bad' thing related to it: lack of imagination or creativity. I mean, it will depend on whatever you want, and its better to hear or see that remake to have a proper opinion about it, but I'd say it's a good thing only in cases as the ones that pretend to be a kind of homage. Anyway, I see this song more ike the second option. An homage to Valkyrie Missile and The Adventure. And it makes sense, as long as Tom said in that time that WDNTW and I-Empire was a kind of double album or something like that. You now, Tom's inventions.

@platypus409 that was funny, hahaha.

5 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Well, I guess you were answering someone in a thread a bout a song in which some have posted opinions, instead of talking alone, but whatever. To me, a remake does have that kind 'bad' thing related to it: lack of imagination or creativity. I mean, it will depend on whatever you want, and its better to hear or see that remake to have a proper opinion about it, but I'd say it's a good thing only in cases as the ones that pretend to be a kind of homage. Anyway, I see this song more ike the second option. An homage to Valkyrie Missile and The Adventure. And it makes sense, as long as Tom said in that time that WDNTW and I-Empire was a kind of double album or something like that. You now, Tom's inventions.

@platypus409 that was funny, hahaha.

I wasn't answering anyone.  i don't understand why you think I thought you hate the song, but whatever.  i just wanted to clarify for others that might have took what you were saying the wrong way, that there isn't anything inherently wrong with remakes, because you didn't clarify that.  You see what I'm saying?