Foo Fighters new album "Concrete and Gold"

Ghost

28 minutes ago, Emil said:

Was not expecting much since I didn't like their last record but this was good, a little to long though. Still I wonder what it is that makes Dave always point out they are a rock band no matter what they do, it's like NFG:s obsession with being pop-punk for some reason.

Yeah, their las record was their own 21st Century Breakdown, hahaha. All the spirit of capturing the essence of the place and the analog way of recording, taked to an extreme. There are cool songs, though, and I enjoyed it (overall speaking).

But Wasting Light is their best album!

That album got me back into Foo Fighters. Hadn't really followed them for a while after There Is Nothing Left To Lose. The screening of the documentary in theaters with the live performance of the album was awesome.
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just struggle to get into these guys anymore. I didnt mind run but im not really interested in listening to the album. They just need a solid 5 year break. 

Im kinda sick of Dave Grohls whole thing now too. Like your one of the most famous musicians in the world and you have been for a while, stop acting so shocked you get to work with other famous musicians. I heard an interview with him on their youtube chanel talking about making the album and it just annoys me how he talks about music. 

Yeah... I have a similar feel about Grohl enthusiasm. I'm not doubting about it being genuine, but you know...

For me, the big disappointment came with Sonic Highways. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent album, but with all the we're-recording-every-song-in-a-different-city-to-capture-the-essence-of-it, didn't came out as I expected. I was very dissappointed on how they, I guess, captured New Orleans spirit: I expected some black influence on that song, at least, but nothing shows on it. What is New Orleans musical background all about then? I soon realized that Sonic Highways was more about a fancy project. "We have tons of money... so much that we can travel the world in order to record our new songs in different studios". Okay.

Never been a fan of Foo Fighters really. I love Everlong & Learn to Fly, but they're the only two I'll go out of my way to listen to. They've always been the "dad rock" type. The type of people that love Foo Fighters, but can appreciate a bit of Green Day, but still seem to think blink-182 are some kind of "gay" boy band, not realising that blink's music videos aren't serious and are actually a joke or something. Also not realising blink stepped out of that shadow in 2003.

That said, Foo Fighters do have some great music videos. Just think they're a massively overrated band. Heard that Run song, love the video, song is just average IMO.

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Yeah... I have a similar feel about Grohl enthusiasm. I'm not doubting about it being genuine, but you know...

For me, the big disappointment came with Sonic Highways. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent album, but with all the we're-recording-every-song-in-a-different-city-to-capture-the-essence-of-it, didn't came out as I expected. I was very dissappointed on how they, I guess, captured New Orleans spirit: I expected some black influence on that song, at least, but nothing shows on it. What is New Orleans musical background all about then? I soon realized that Sonic Highways was more about a fancy project. "We have tons of money... so much that we can travel the world in order to record our new songs in different studios". Okay.

I have the same feeling about them recording that album in a garage. I remember my uncle trying to talk about how awesome it was that Foo Fighters recorded an album in the garage. Anyone is silly if they think Foo Fighters didn't spend shit loads of money setting up the garage and making it like an actual studio room or something. The recording quality would be terrible if they just simply set up an iMac in a garage, and then the instruments, with some recording equipment and just simply record like that.

Just record the damn album, couldn't care less where or how it was recorded. If a song is good, then it's good. Funny how I say that though, because I do music production at uni and I do realise how annoying it can be if the quality of the recording isn't too good. Outside my own songs though, I don't care at all how or where shit is recorded. I just like knowing and learning how to record like all these bands.

• Like 1

Hahaha, yeah, I get what you mean. I liked that era, though. Of course they spent shit loads of money on transform those rooms in proper studio rooms, more or less, but it had that kind of "DIY" feel (although it was a very EXPENSIVE, pro and fancy DIY thing). I got what he was trying to say and capture, and I think that, somehow, that just reflects on the album itself. Not only on the songs, but on the sound. I think it was not all about doing it on a garabe, but doing it on an familiar environment and using materials (the t ape thing and all) that obligued them to step outside the aseptic digital feel of a modern studio.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

I think his whole "Nice/humble guy" thing is an act.

Didn't Dave send his drummer on a vacation so he could get the band together and secretly re record an entire album with himself on drums? Then when the drummer got back it was kind of like "yeh so, your not really in the band anymore"

• Like 1