Bleachers

The1821975

Anybody here ever heard of Bleachers? John Hughes-lite, indie synth pop. He's the drummer of fun. and as worked with notable pop artists such as Taylor Swift and Tegan and Sara. His first album was a pop masterpiece Imo, and his new album is also very good. 

Here's the lead single: 

I'm enjoying this album. It has lots of catchy choruses and gang vocals used the right way. I also like the brass instrumentals. Some of the lyrics are meh, but most of them are good. I like the production too. It has a very slick and compressed sound to it--which I don't like on California, but it works well with this synth pop kind of sound. The only track I don't like is the last one, "Foreign Girls," because it feels oddly tacked on at the end when the song before it would have been a good note to end on, and Antonoff's autotuned vocals in the verses are really cringe. It improves in the chorus, though.

Favorite tracks: Hate That You Know Me, Everybody Lost Somebody, I Miss Those Days (the singles are the best songs on the album imo)

Overall, 7/10. :) 

On 6/9/2017 at 11:20 PM, Nasa said:

I'm enjoying this album. It has lots of catchy choruses and gang vocals used the right way. I also like the brass instrumentals. Some of the lyrics are meh, but most of them are good. I like the production too. It has a very slick and compressed sound to it--which I don't like on California, but it works well with this synth pop kind of sound. The only track I don't like is the last one, "Foreign Girls," because it feels oddly tacked on at the end when the song before it would have been a good note to end on, and Antonoff's autotuned vocals in the verses are really cringe. It improves in the chorus, though.

Favorite tracks: Hate That You Know Me, Everybody Lost Somebody, I Miss Those Days (the singles are the best songs on the album imo)

The production was the first thing that stood out to me on my first listen. Been bumping it in my car the whole week. I love Don't Take The Money, All My Heroes, and Let's Get Married. I think his first album was a little better, but this album was still great. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2017 at 6:20 AM, Nasa said:

I don't think it's exactly the same. Here, Antonoff is trying to get that kind of lo-fi sound/vibe, and it's plenty of details coming from the 60s baroque-pop. I can see tons of details and cadences that are coming, directly, from The Beatles and Brian Wilson's production on Smile.

Also, I'm just surprised how he succesfully mixes that kind of influences with synth pop, 80s music and, even R&B. It's amazing.

The only negative thing, for me, is that this songs, and also the first record, is something I can't listen very much. And that's due to the themes. I find a kind of depressive vibe behind it all, and it uses to get me down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

I don't think it's exactly the same. Here, Antonoff is trying to get that kind of lo-fi sound/vibe, and it's plenty of details coming from the 60s baroque-pop. I can see tons of details and cadences that are coming, directly, from The Beatles and Brian Wilson's production on Smile.

Also, I'm just surprised how he succesfully mixes that kind of influences with synth pop, 80s music and, even R&B. It's amazing.

The only negative thing, for me, is that this songs, and also the first record, is something I can't listen very much. And that's due to the themes. I find a kind of depressive vibe behind it all, and it uses to get me down.

Yeah agreed, you put my thoughts about the production better than I did haha.

And yeah, the themes are pretty downcast. I read the lyrics a couple times while listening to the music and got those vibes. The record is pretty upbeat though so I feel like it's one of those records where you can listen to just the music and not get TOO sad. :D

• Like 1