NYT: The 25 Best Films of the 21st Century So Far

theedge00

I've only seen two of these, lol. Inside Out does deserve to be on there in some respect, but not as much as say, Finding Nemo does. That is a landmark movie.

Boyhood doesn't deserve to be on there. I liked it, but there is so much more they could've done with it.

... The 40 year old virgin? really? I mean, it's a good film but come on.

Also Inside Out is good but also doesn't deserve to be there, I haven't seen like most of them though so idk. the only one I've seen that I'd say might deserve it is Fury Road but only because of the film making aspects, not necessarily the story itself. 

Boyhood is a terrible movie.  It gets kudos from me in how they filmed it, but the unconventional filming style alone is not enough to make it a good movie, the story was just terrible.  It should not be anywhere close to this list, I'm sorry.

Also, how doesn't City of God make this list?  

• Like 1

Lol, I watched the first one on the list, There Will Be Blood, yesterday (for the third time). In fact, I was just thinking of it as I was walking to the store an hour ago. Great movie, best performance by a single actor, on par with Portman in Black Swan.

Spirited Away is too creepy/nightmarish for me to really enjoy it.

All in all, I've seen 9 out of those 25, which is not too bad.

The ones complaining about the list (it is based on subjective opinions, d'uh!) in the comments section probably would have voted for superhero movies or Star Wars so their opinions are worth jack shit.

I have never been a fan of superhero movies, or action movies in general. They all seem the same in terms of theme and there are way too many to keep up with. I've heard ones like Deadpool and Logan are going for a different angle on the superhero idea though, so that's good.

I've never seen Star Wars either. Not because I think it's bad--can't form an opinion on something I've never seen!--but just because it's never interested me and I never watched it when I was younger.

Good list.

If I were to make one, Mulholland Dr. would be there. Best movie I've ever seen...

This would probably be my top 15:

1. Mulholland Dr.

2. Synecdoche, New York

3. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

4. Before Sunset

5. Her

6. Lost In Translation

7. Spirited Away

8. The Lobster

9. In The Mood For Love

10. Boyhood

11. 12 Years A Slave

12. There Will Be Blood

13. Inglourious Basterds

14. La La Land

15. WALL·E

Honorable mentions: 3-Iron and Inception

• Like 1

Yeah they do the very annoying thing of choosing some films that are special/obscure-ish but aren't necessarily better than the most celebrated/obvious ones because it's more interesting. Im sure the ones I've haven't seen are good, but reading their descriptions doesn't really beguile me to reconsider what would be my not so personal picks of greats of this generation..

I would say about half of the list is mostly spot on.....I would of personally liked seeing Scott Pilgrim or Drive or The Social Network or Under The Skin or Bernie or the fucking WolfofWallStreet/Shutter Island/Hugo come up. 

3 hours ago, MSandt said:

Lol, I watched the first one on the list, There Will Be Blood, yesterday (for the third time). In fact, I was just thinking of it as I was walking to the store an hour ago. Great movie, best performance by a single actor, on par with Portman in Black Swan.

Spirited Away is too creepy/nightmarish for me to really enjoy it.

All in all, I've seen 9 out of those 25, which is not too bad.

The ones complaining about the list (it is based on subjective opinions, d'uh!) in the comments section probably would have voted for superhero movies or Star Wars so their opinions are worth jack shit.

Well if you read the comments, those complaining are asking why movies such as Hidden Figures, Manchester By The Sea, Dangal, The King's Speech, The Lives of Others, etc etc. aren't on the list.  And like I said, City of God should definitely be on this list.  I'm not seeing anyone in that comments section actually saying that superhero movies, Star Wars, or other blockbusters should be on there at all.  Most people do understand what it takes to be considered a best film for such a list, and not just an enjoyable popcorn movie.  

19 hours ago, Nasa said:

I have never been a fan of superhero movies, or action movies in general. They all seem the same in terms of theme and there are way too many to keep up with. I've heard ones like Deadpool and Logan are going for a different angle on the superhero idea though, so that's good.

I've never seen Star Wars either. Not because I think it's bad--can't form an opinion on something I've never seen!--but just because it's never interested me and I never watched it when I was younger.

Can't speak for Logan, but Deadpool only stands out because its funny. from an actual story perspective it's quite similar to most of the superhero stuff but it's humor, R rating, self awareness and fourth wall breaking make it different. I wouldn't say they're dissimilar, just that Deadpool is better.

• Like 1

Seen Hurt Locker & Boyhood. Boyhood, like someone stated above isn't that good. Like yeah, the way it was filmed for like 10 years or so was good. But the story is just so simple. There's better movies that are about "coming of age" or whatever IMO. The acting is good for it though. Just I find it very average.

Hurt Locker I thought was good, but IMO it wasn't even the best movie in the year it was released. I think that was competing with Avatar (which was massively overrated IMO, but I do think it was way better than Avatar). District 9 however was my favourite coming from that year.

Mad Max was fucking good. But best? Not sure. Never captured me the way the following movies did: District 9, Django Unchained, Kill Bill, The Town, Moon, 28 Days Later, LOTR Trilogy, TDK Trilogy, Interstellar, Inglorious Basterds, Wolf of Wall Street & Watchmen.

40 Year Old Virgin? Seriously? Was good. Was pretty funny but one of the best? Hell, I even preferred Click from Adam Sandler. Give me Will Ferrell's Anchorman (first one), Talledega Nights & Stepbrothers over 40 Year Old Virgin.

The rest of the movies on that list, well I've never heard of most of them. Have heard of like 4 but not seen though.

On 6/11/2017 at 3:14 PM, Nasa said:

I'd recommend Watchmen. Very different for a super hero movie. To me, it's more like a thriller/detective story but super heroes are the backstory. It got a lot of criticism, probably because it followed the comic book almost exact. Kinda like Sin City if you've ever seen that. Also the trailers were a little misleading. It looked like it was gonna be another typical action superhero thing, but it's completely different. Pretty slow movie but I do love it. More of an acquired taste type IMO.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Although Deadpool was a tiny bit different to most superhero stuff, like being more violent, more funny and stuff, Kick Ass already did that, and IMO did it better as well. Kick Ass 2 I can't stand though.

I agree that I don't find Deadpool to be anything special despite all the praise it receives, but I definitely enjoyed it way more than Kick Ass.  Something about Kick Ass really rubs me the wrong way.

52 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Seen Hurt Locker & Boyhood. Boyhood, like someone stated above isn't that good. Like yeah, the way it was filmed for like 10 years or so was good. But the story is just so simple. There's better movies that are about "coming of age" or whatever IMO. The acting is good for it though. Just I find it very average.

Whatabout Patricia Arquette's milf boobs that only seemed to grow bigger year by year?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, M!ke said:

I agree that I don't find Deadpool to be anything special despite all the praise it receives, but I definitely enjoyed it way more than Kick Ass.  Something about Kick Ass really rubs me the wrong way.

I think the main reason I enjoyed Kick Ass so much was because going into it, I was just expecting some teen comedy thing, similar to Superbad but like a more super hero equivalent or something. Was surprised it was full of action. It had everything I love about action movies. Guns, bombs, gore, bad language haha. With Deadpool, I didn't expect the fourth wall stuff, but I loved those scenes.