The Worst Blink Song Ever (Round Five, Untitled. Self Titled. whatever)

Kay

The Worst Blink Song Ever (Round Five, Untitled)  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Worst Song From Untitled / Self Titled / The 'Magnum Opus' ?

• Feeling This
    • Obvious
    • I Miss You
    • Violence
    • Stockholm Syndrome
    • Down
    • Go
    • Asthenia
    • Always
    • Easy Target
    • All Of This
    • Here's Your Letter
    • I'm Lost Without You
    • Not Now

After we finish all of the album rounds maybe we can go into lightning round-type rounds where the time to vote (which of two songs with the same votes on the same album is worse) is shortened before we start doing songs between albums.

17 hours ago, daveyjones said:

"bad reasons" is subjective as any other opinion. to one listener, lyrics might be the most important element to appreciating a song. for me, the chord progressions are a key part of how i 'see' the music. it's something akin to being a "texture eater." some foods taste quite lovely, but a person doesn't like them, for something as narrow as the texture alone. to someone for whom texture does not play a big part in enjoying (or distaining) food, this seems unreasonable and silly. but for a "texture eater" it's essential. texture is a dealbreaker.

using "bad reasons" as you say is quite different than using poor reasoning. my reasons for liking or not liking whatever can be found at length on these forums. my reasoning is reasonably consistent. i'm articulate (sometimes to the point of being verbose) about my views. i get hammered a lot for this. whatever. if you disagree, it's basically saying "i don't place the same value on the precepts with which you have judged this music." to which i say, fair. 

thinking my critique unjustified and unnecessary is certainly fair, i'll take that. but it doesn't make me elitist. it simply makes my comments, in your view, well, unjustified and unnecessary.

This would drive me nuts (even more nuts than I already am). Did you feel the same back in the 90s`or did you tolerate it because you liked their style?

Just now, thongrider said:

Did you feel the same back in the 90s`or did you tolerate it because you liked their style?

well it was an eyeroll. the I–V–vi–IV thing i mean. track one, carousel. track two, m+m's: same trick. and then hearing buddha, okay, "time" and "toast & bananas." i guess this is a thing. and then with dammit, it's like, ok, is every lead single gonna be this? (dude ranch also had "i'm sorry"). so once "what's my age again?" dropped, it was a super eyeroll. and then man overboard? AGAIN. and feeling this? AGAIN. sigh sigh sigh. i suppose the songs that vary the verse and only stick to I–V–vi–IV for the chorus are more tolerable. that's one of the reasons i think man overboard is probably the best of the bunch.

but overall, to answer your question, there were so many things about skate punk local band raynor-era blink that i loved, it overwhelmed this hangup. as time went on, there was less and less (for me) to balance things out.

• Like 1

@daveyjones describes his positions well, even if he can at times his raynor-era fandom/"i knew the band" attitude can rub many the wrong way. that said, your interest in neighborhoods and NOT untitled strikes me as the wildest of your opinions haha. but that'll have to wait till the next thread lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, boxelder said:

@daveyjones describes his positions well, even if he can at times his raynor-era fandom/"i knew the band" attitude can rub many the wrong way. that said, your interest in neighborhoods and NOT untitled strikes me as the wildest of your opinions haha. but that'll have to wait till the next thread lol

I'm with Davey on Untitled and Neighborhoods. I prefer Neighborhoods over Untitled. He probably has a better explanation for it than I do but I've just never been that into Untitled. It's okay enough, as a fan of the band I tolerate it and it has some good moments but I didn't think it was good at release and it hasn't exactly improved as I've gotten older. Again, I really don't know why, not the slightest clue.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Speedo said:

I'm with Davey on Untitled and Neighborhoods. I prefer Neighborhoods over Untitled. He probably has a better explanation for it than I do but I've just never been that into Untitled. It's okay enough, as a fan of the band I tolerate it and it has some good moments but I didn't think it was good at release and it hasn't exactly improved as I've gotten older. Again, I really don't know why, not the slightest clue.

On release, I was 10, and all I ever listened to was upbeat pop punk stuff. Hell, even liked Avril Lavigine back then. Bands like Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Offspring were my favourites. Funnily enough, at the time I couldn't get into Green Day who are now one of my favourite bands. I despised American Idiot when that was first released, mainly cause my mum would play it full blast every single fucking day when she was doing cardio on the treadmill at home. Blink were my favourite though, and I remember hearing Feeling This for the first time, which was on TV on some Kerrang channel. Loved the song on first listen.

The album on the other hand, I just didn't know what it was. Never heard anything like it. Took me off guard. Enjoyed Feeling This. Thought Obvious was decent and the only other two I loved from first listen were I Miss You and Always. Songs like Stockholm Syndrome, All of This, Fallen interlude, I'm Lost Without You, Violence I just remember thinking "what the hell?" when listening to them for the first time. Such a strange album. Didn't feel it was good, didn't feel it was bad. I just didn't understand it. But as I got into my teens, I just appreciated it more and eventually fell in love with it. Took me about 4-5 years to actually think "you know what? this album is actually great". +44 and Boxcar Racer had the same effect too. As did Green Day with the American Idiot album, Sum 41 with Chuck, all albums that I just didn't understand on first listen. So in my case it definitely improved haha.

Untitled was the most creative thing they've ever done. As great as +44 and Box Car were.. Untitled was their max creativity.  The album art was fitting because it really was Blink just throwing down brush strokes to their pop punk blend.

Which makes for conflicted listening. It doesn't always make sense (Violence verses) the first time around, but if you are a creative person you can obsess over it.  To me it was really unexpected, but I remember to this day sitting at home or walking around the school yard with my Walkman tapping into my creative juices hard for the first time.

It's good to go down that path.. But you need a balance. You don't want to get too creative for too long or you turn into Tom. But you also don't want to get too formulatic for too long or you turn into Mark.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Blink 18Feldmann said:

So does this mean like Tuesday your time er?..

Yes, but I've been busy.

It doesn't matter that they're tied, I was taking the top 2 of each for a giant one anyway. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boring.........Alright said:

So since both AoT and ILWY are tied how do we decide the "winner"?

the top 2 of each poll is going to a 'worst blink song ever' final together, so there's no tie break needed. call these the semi finals, or something. 

18 hours ago, daveyjones said:

well it was an eyeroll. the I–V–vi–IV thing i mean. track one, carousel. track two, m+m's: same trick. and then hearing buddha, okay, "time" and "toast & bananas." i guess this is a thing. and then with dammit, it's like, ok, is every lead single gonna be this? (dude ranch also had "i'm sorry"). so once "what's my age again?" dropped, it was a super eyeroll. and then man overboard? AGAIN. and feeling this? AGAIN.

....Bored to Death too ?

• Like 1

On 16/6/2017 at 8:27 PM, raw_sounds said:

I love all of this songs, this album is gold. Voted Feeling This because its the one i like the least, probably overplayed for me. But i still can enjoy it on live recordings

I voted Feeling this and explained why, you people dont read.

I listened to Feeling this too much and got overplayed for me, but i still think its a great song, its just  the song i like the least from this record.

Cant believe All of this lost, its a perfect song.

• Like 1

All Of This??? 

I always found All Of This really great. The somber instrumental part is melancholic and awesome.

It also got me into The Cure and my mom introduced me to ''A Forest''.

I'm Lost Without You has great potential in lyrics and melody but i don't like how they made it sound as a finished product.

So i go with that one