Official Prediction

Ghent

I am hereby officially predicting the following. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Travis will in fact team up with Tom for a sequel to the Box Car Racer album. It will feel awkward at first, but the end result will be a positive for Tom and what he has left as a musician. It will be the best album Tom has been involved with since at least WDNTW, but most likely since Untitled.

Travis will push him to release something worthwhile and genuinely good. Something authentic. The relative success of the effort will wake Tom up to his true potential and connect him with the roots of his past.

Tom will rejoin blink, but as a four piece with Skiba to record the next blink album. Feldmann will remain involved, but to a lesser extent because there will be more creative sources involved to lesson his load as a co-writer.

This is no guarantee, just a prediction. LI could be completely wrong. But now I'm on the record. Fingers crossed for something genuinely awesome to come. It feels like, to me, that the best may be yet to come. And that is coming from someone who loved California.

/drunk Friday night post. Thoughts?

• Like 4

It's a nice thought, and I can see the BCR potential, but I don't think Tom has it in him anymore for it to be particularly good. I think Tom will never tour again. 

I don't think Boxcar Racer will happen, although I'd love for it to happen. Never understood why people think Tom won't be able to write music as good as that anymore though. Like yeah, I agree that the 2002-2005 era was Tom's prime as a songwriter. He made a decent Chasing Shadows EP by rushing it, with probably like 50% effort. His problem is he gets sidetracked way too much. If he can focus on JUST Boxcar Racer, and no movies, books, novels, documentaries or whatever, then I'm like 99% sure it's gonna be a damn good album. No other projects.

Although the last time he put his sole focus on recording an album (WDNTW & I-Empire), it didn't reach the level of BCR and the smiley face album. I believe he can write like that still though. He'll know he'll have something to prove. He won't try anything too pretentious. Boxcar Racer is the last thing he has with some good credibility so he can't afford stupid statements about changing the world or how Jesus entered his soul to help write this album (I'm sure I've read about him claiming Jesus wrote AVA's first album). Just no bullshit whatsoever. Just be quiet and record the damn album, just like the way BCR and the smiley face album were. It's obvious Tom would be the producer but an outside person would do Boxcar Racer the world of good.

No matter what, the album will probably be a financial flop anyway. But if it's done exactly like the way it should be done like the paragraph above, it's gonna be some underrated album that will grow on us, and we'll probably end up loving it. Thing is, there's a 90% chance that this won't happen like that IMO.

I think Robin Williams will come back and do a Mrs Doubtfire 2......it could happen, they could take like his DNA from a hairbrush, and clone him, speed up the aging process with this new drug they have, and then use a hologram and voiceovers for inconsistencies!

That's about how stupid this discussion is.....

• Like 4

Toms recording angels and airwaves but it going to have Travis do some drums I'm guessing probably from one song!

Toms not interested in doing music or blink anymore he's just trying to promote his new strange times shit and saying Travis is involved is big promotion ;)

Holy shit did Ghent just admit Mark & Matt can't write for shit right now and Feldmann writes way too much of the music we currently hear? 

I can't see it happening though and not sure why Travis would help make it good. Yes he's a great drummer but he hardly had much input in Box Car, that was all Tom's movement and just grabbed Travis, and it's not Travis is bringing out the best in Mark or Matt now, under the freaking Blink 182 name.

That said I wouldn't mind it. I've lost pretty much all love in current Blink, this could provide more and possibly better music, as well as possibly motivate Mark and Matt to be better.  We know one thing is for sure, it would be genuine music.

lmao that is crazy. now i wanna try a prediction:

mark, matt and travis continue to tour the shit out of california as sober drops as fourth single and does well/crosses over etc. they get into the studio and write an album slightly better than california, with more matt influence. but its still mostly garbage with feldmann behind the boards. they tour that. matt returns to alkaline trio and realizes he misses it, blink takes time off. depending on how many albums they have on their BMG contract, they do a third one maybe.

tom continues to tout BCR to help promote his shit until he has to downsize again and realize none of this is or has ever worked. then he knocks on blink's door for a reunion tour. depending on what the situation with matt is then, they go on ahead and make bank and the internet is like "tom is back, you can rest easy."

12 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

I predict Tom relaunches Big Oily Men but renames it Big Oily Men From Space and his backed from an intergalactic space fleet who are also really into 80s U2. 

Travis then dons his old Aquabats uniform and all they do is cover Devo and A Flock of Seagulls.

• Like 1

I can see a BCR followup of some sort happening with or without Travis (I certainly haven't counted him out based on his overall attitude toward Tom and BCR is these recent years).  I think Tom will try and recapture the magic of BCR, but overall miss the mark.  I also think this will be his misguided attempt of mending fences between him and Mark, if he can get to Travis and record music with him, he knows it would have some sort of affect on Mark, and hey if he acts level headed, Travis might even say to Mark that they should consider working with him again.  It wouldn't be the dumbest plot to execute in hopes of getting back in blink, in fact it probably is his best chance of getting back into blink, without just being straight up with Mark and Travis together (I think we all know how stubborn Tom can be).  But, ultimately, I don't think it would work, I don't think a follow up BCR release would be very good, and even if it somehow was, I still think Tom has simply proven to be too unreliable, even when he has brief moments of motivation like we saw with Dogs Eating Dogs, he'd quickly follow that up with years of stringing Mark and Travis along, they were supposed to release an album in 2013... then 2014... then 2015, by then they were all just fed up with it.  And that's not the first example of his lazy attitude toward the band.  

So while I can see the BCR portion happening within then next 5 years I'd say, and it all being with the end goal of getting back into blink, I just don't see the blink part actually happening, not anytime soon anyway.

my predictions:

1) there will be no travis and tom cooperation.

2) tom won't release anything under the name of box car racer.

3) blink's lineup won't change, it will be mark, matt, and travis until the end.

4) blink won't work with feldmann in the future.

5) the next blink album will be a fan favorite (as good as the untitled album or wyhsb).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

my predictions:

1) there will be no travis and tom cooperation.

2) tom won't release anything under the name of box car racer.

3) blink's lineup won't change, it will be mark, matt, and travis until the end.

4) blink won't work with feldmann in the future.

5) the next blink album will be a fan favorite (as good as the untitled album or wyhsb).

This is more far fetched than a BCR reunion. 

• Like 6