Goldfinger new album, "The Knife"

Ghost

Please post this is Blink section, thank you.

In seriousness though, I'm actually interested to hear, idc if Goldfinger plays generic crap music because it's Goldfinger..it kind of fits them (whatever's left) better anyways and they've always done similar.  I liked their single better than most California.

Genuinely excited for Mark guest vocals. I think it's a better fit for him to be guest vocals on generic punk than leading the way. Miss the days when Mark would pop up on various band's singles

@FightingTheGravity Maybe it's better if I link this post to some comment on blink section? If not, I just can copy and paste it.

Well, a few listens since yesterday.

I don't want to make a comparison between this record and California, but sure, I'll make some refferences, as long as they are pretty evident and the guy who produced and co-wrote blink's album, wrote and recorded this one (Note: the press release says it was produced only by Zack Cervini, not Feldmann, but I guess those credits are not 100% complete, as long as Hoppus is not credited for guest vocals on "See You Around", maybe because it was a late, late collaboration? Also, I think Skiba appears on "Say It Out Loud"). This album is different compared to what Goldfinger did in the past. It has some ska parts, though, but is not a ska record -well, in not like Goldfinger was ever a ska band, but you get the point-. Well, is more punkpoppy than ever, in a modern sense. You know.

For example "A Million Miles", except for the ska part, could have been part of California. It sounds like new blink, and it shows 90% the same production style -in the whole record, to be fair-, the other 10%, all the fireworks and electronic elements that has California, are not present, or not that much evident. Second track, "Get What I Need" is weird, it starts wth an ska approach, but then the chorus goes into a total different direction, again, pretty modern punkpop -it sounds great, to be honest-. In songs as "Am I Deaf" I'm getting some late Bayside vibes. The single, "Put The Knife Away" is the most California-ish song. That, and "See You Around", the one in which Mark appears singing (not because that only) and both are, probably, the best songs on the record, along with "A Million Miles", which reminds me to "Parking Lot". Oh, and I hate "Milla", so cringeworhty.

Woahs and oohs? Oh yes, all over. And the obsession of singing on the top of his lungs, as Skiba and Hoppus did all over in Cali. But there are some funny parts on the LP. Listening to the album, makes you realize how important was Feldmann writing input in new blink. You're getting details here and there that are present in both bands. Also, Travis drumming is recogniseable, but is pretty normal drumming -he doesn't play drums on "Orthodontist Girl", though-.

Also, I'm getting the same feel that I got with California. Is like Feldmann had some cool choruses, and had the need to write some quick to fill in between and create some verses. It happens in songs like "Beacon" or in those as "Get What I Need", where the ska verses sound a little bit out of place compared to the chorus.

The best: it has some catchy parts, and overall is an uplifting record.

The worse: it tends to fall into the same generic ground as other punkpop bands, even if Goldfinger has this ska touch in some songs -they are just lame-.

And curious thing: "All songs written by John Feldmann except 2,8,11,12"

Well, the interview has to be around Goldfinger, but I will slide soe production related questions, and some "The Knife"-"California" parallelism question too.

If any of you want to ask something, just tell me and we'll see.

5 minutes ago, FightingTheGravity said:

Being completely honest, you should ask him about the idea of Tom rejoining or something.

Don't think he's ever commented on anything Tom related

Totally. And if them being a four piece is something he could imagine and how he think the dynamic would be. 

• Like 1