Goldfinger new album, "The Knife"

Ghost

22 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

Ask him if ever plans on developing his style as a producer or whether he is happy to carry on with his copy and paste production until the end of time. 

19 hours ago, Kay said:

Ask him if he ever struggles with artistic integrity considering his work and attitude towards the factory style approach to punk music? 

16 hours ago, FightingTheGravity said:

Being completely honest, you should ask him about the idea of Tom rejoining or something.

Don't think he's ever commented on anything Tom related

Thank you guys and ladie. I'm taking notes on those. As I told you, this should be a Goldfinger centered interview, but, yeah, I'm sliding there some production and blink question. I'm gonna include this suggestions, somehow.

I would really like to go deep into the questions, but that would be a better idea if the interview was face to face. It sounds like it would be a phoner or an e-mail one, so I want to avoid misunderstandings.

Thanks!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ghent said:

You guys are showing genuine excitement over the thought of an insulting question being thrown to Feldmann in an interview with a blink online member.

Rock bottom?

Nah, mate, I took that question as a joke or ironic comment, more than an 'insulting' one, TBH, specially after all the months we've been ranting about Feldmann's style on production. Of course, I understand that, outside our little world of frantic fanatics, we're all more polite than that.

I'm asking him about it, though, and the possibility of evolving it in any shape or direction, taking in count he, pretty much, has stablished a solid type of sound which is working as an standard in this 'scene' and the industry (personal tastes aside, that's a fact). But, of course, not wanting to be harsh against him or anything like that. That would be totally stupid. Anyway, as I said, the bulk of the questions are about Goldfinger and production, then about his connection with Blink and how they could have influenced him and viceversa and some others.

I would really love to have that interview face to face. It's where I can do my best, I think. Is the only way you can try to dig deeper, after gaining a litle bit of the other one's confidence.

No worries, Ghent, I'm gonna take care of Feldy, hahaha.

P.S: I'm pretty sure you will really like this record, specially tracks like the first single, "A Million Miles", "Get What I Need" (maybe because the chorus, mainly), "Am I Deaf", "Orthodontist Girl" (if you forget the absolutely cringeworthy lyrics, I really mean it), and "See You Around" (I really like this one, maybe is because Mark, I don't know, but I like it a lot).

In all seriousness I would ask him what it means to be a "Producer/Co-writer" and how you balance giving your ideas, while being respective of the band and their ideas. I'd also ask about his "first thought, best thought" approach and if he's always dead set on that, or just in general. Those are both questions that you can mention Blink with lol. If you want to get ballsy, ask if he knows if he will be producing the next Blink record or not...

I just had to send the questions, so the thing is pretty much closed. I think he will be going on the producer explanation to some extent, but I didn't include the "what's the difference between produce and co-writer" because I didn't felt it necessary, IMO*. I will talk to his management again to see if I can modify some shit. The "first thought/best thought" thing, I guess, has been answered in other interviews/podcasts (if memory serves me well), but sure I could have asked something related, but I totally forgot about it, to be honest.

Anyway, thanks, @ryan1125 I appreciate it :)

*But I included this question:

The first time I listened to “Pull The Knife Away” I thought: ‘holy cow! this sounds as it could have been in blink-182’s California’. I don’t know if it’s because Travis is druming on this album, or because you were a co-writer on “California”, the thing is that it sounds like there’s some kind of musical communication or connection between “The Knife” and “California”. If so, can you explain us what things do you think you brought to the table while working with blink? And, what things do you think you’ve learned while working with blink?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FightingTheGravity said:

Is that a little AvA ripoff guitar I hear briefly? Lol.

Pretty shit song though, back to that just saying random generic words with no meaning awful melodies.

Meh, its like when you need some brainless B comedy movie just for laughs and cheer up a bit maybe. I have to be in the mood for this music, when i need something fun and not meaningful. If that makes any sense. 

• Like 1

So there are some songs i like. A million miles, am i deaf, tijuana, dont let me go, beacon and maybe Milla. I'd have to give this album another spin though. But the songs are some very childish almost. Whats up with the lyrics in Orthodontist Girl wtf. 

I dont like the Ska stuff at all. Like 'Get what i need'. Yuck. 

Edit- i've been listening a lot to it and im starting to really like it. Somehow i dont care about the nananas and whoas and the sound, i didnt like it in blink because it wasnt them. But i've never listened to goldfinger so i dont care. Just fun, catchy pop punk. Am I Deaf is probably my fav. 

Eh it's better than California, dig the ska elements.  Am I Deaf is a good one.  The whoas and Travis triple bass drumming can fuck right off though.  Actually did get good vintage Goldfinger vibes at times 

Feel like the intro and take out the knife are straight off California though.. Parking lot? Cynical?

In the end, I feel like Feldmann is better at making Feldmann music.

• Like 2

Sorry for the delay, guys. I just sent a reminder to the management people for Goldfinger. Still waiting for the answers. Can't wait.

I hope this doesn't end as the interview I was going to have with DeLonge a few years ago when AvA released The Dream Walker...

On 7/24/2017 at 8:50 PM, FightingTheGravity said:

I actually am digging this album on occasion start to finish, ignoring Orthodonist Girl...It's actually not that bad for Goldfinger.  I like Am I Deaf a lot and the surrounding tracks are listenable. 

Was that written about the California production process?

• Like 4