Live Stream of Lollapalooza show

Boring.........Alright

51 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I totally get not liking Skiba as much as Tom, what I don't get is why someone would choose to spend hours out of their day complaining about it. Nit picking stupid shit. Every fucking day. 

Honestly I get ya. The few friends who know I go on this site can't believe any of us like blink enough to keep a forum going this long.

4 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

You have clearly never been in a serious band.  When you practice 2x, 3x, more a week (or everyday for a soundcheck for Blink, for decades) you don't run around stage doing jumps.

It's PRACTICE to keep muscle memory and get a feel for the sound of the venue.....

Oliver if you're going to replace Skiba, you NEED to learn these things. Sheesh. 

Are you really still doing the "replace Skiba" joke after I owned everyone. Did you miss that vid?

I can play dude. Better than Skiba. Maybe just can't sing better than him.

I have been in a real band, and when you play songs a zillion times like them, you actually don't need to practice it, have YOU been in a band?

I guess if it was just a soundcheck to an empty stadium MAYBE I could see lack of energy, but they are playing to PEOPLE. It was so obvious watching them sound check, then suddenly during the real show all this energy, that Mark's real energy is faked. It would have to be, he can't possibly be hyped up about playing Feeling this for the 8000th fucking time.

4 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Are you really still doing the "replace Skiba" joke after I owned everyone. Did you miss that vid?

I can play dude. Better than Skiba. Maybe just can't sing better than him.

I have been in a real band, and when you play songs a zillion times like them, you actually don't need to practice it, have YOU been in a band?

I guess if it was just a soundcheck to an empty stadium MAYBE I could see lack of energy, but they are playing to PEOPLE. It was so obvious watching them sound check, then suddenly during the real show all this energy, that Mark's real energy is faked. It would have to be, he can't possibly be hyped up about playing Feeling this for the 8000th fucking time.

I know dude, you owned us so badly I just want to make sure you're ready to step into the spotlight!!! ****I'd invest in a tuner first though****

Also...playing a soundcheck in front of 200 people TOPS vs 15,000.....yeah....the energy would be a bit different.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ryan1125 said:

That's not too horrible IMO but it's funny how much shit people give Skiba for fucking up Carousel and in that clip Tom damn near misses every single note.

The problem is Skiba not only sucks at the guitar parts, but also at being an entertainer.  

A second grader could produce a better guitar tone than that. I get not liking Skiba with the current iteration of blink, but to romanticize the final days of Tom's time  when everyone was crying afoul at the time is foolish. The man was a drunk, slurred his words like a fool, and had a tone that had zero resemblance to the designated sound. It was an embarrassment. It's not even a contest. Argue all you want about energy (which doesn't matter much to me when placed alongside these traits), but Skiba comes out on top here, missing a few notes and all.

• Like 5

Sure, i would love to pay 60 bucks for show I can yawn along to ... just as long as the guitar doesn't suck ... I mean, it's barely audible at all but, I guess, if I can't hear it then I can't very well prove it sucks, right?!

• Like 1

You know what modern Blink reminds me of actually? The worst set I've ever sat through was Lucero. Now, Lucero is a great fucking band and they musically on point that night. Great band, great songs, great musicians but no fucking energy. I saw them in 2004 when they toured with Grabass Charlestons as the opener and Against Me! was the headliner. Grabass came on and they fucking rocked ... the singer was the drummer at the time and he was screaming and wailing away on drums and their bass player looked like a skinny fucking Jesus hopping around all over the stage just fucking rocking. The guitarist wasn't super bouncy like the bass player and, while he did sing back up vocals, he didn't speak a lot but he did strike his version of a Johnny Ramone pose and locked into the fucking beat like a crazier, faster decendents. I had never heard them before and it was me and about 20 other people in the venue that night but they fucking ripped hard. You'd have sworn the place was packed.

Then Lucero came on and they all just sort of stood there ... Ben sang and played great, the band sounded great but the songs all sounded lifeless and it was boring. The music was on point and fucking crystal clear but it just wasnt interesting. 

Grabass killed it ... I had no idea what the drummer was screaming but I didn't care ... the energy was palpable. It was a living, breathing entity.

Blink used to have that. Sure, it wasn't as prevalent in the post reunion but it was there. It wasn't until you watched the youtube videos that you realized Tom sucked dick but then you were completely out of the moment so it wasn't the same. I saw Blink at the Pop Disaster tour and, while Green Day was the better band ... I had waaaay more fun with Blink. I saw them with the tour they did with Cypress Hill and same thing .... Fucking nailed it ... even with Tom drunk and fucking up. 

The energy is everything live. 

So saying it doesn't matter is just fucking ridiculous. You can be the best band in the world musically but if you've got not energy then people don't give a shit.

That's not to say Matt is a shitty performer it's just that energy wise, he doesn't fit ... at least not yet, not until he grows more comfortable, it takes years to build that kind if chemistry, he still has a chance.

Right now though ... it's not a contest. Tom wins, hands down.

Lucero was technically the best band on the bill but Grabass killed and made them look like intermission ... Against Me! though ... Fuck! Early Against Me! shows were a reason to fucking live. They are some of the best shows I have ever been to, hands down.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Speedo said:

You know what modern Blink reminds me of actually? The worst set I've ever sat through was Lucero. Now, Lucero is a great fucking band and they musically on point that night. Great band, great songs, great musicians but no fucking energy. I saw them in 2004 when they toured with Grabass Charlestons as the opener and Against Me! was the headliner. Grabass came on and they fucking rocked ... the singer was the drummer at the time and he was screaming and wailing away on drums and their bass player looked like a skinny fucking Jesus hopping around all over the stage just fucking rocking. The guitarist wasn't super bouncy like the bass player and, while he did sing back up vocals, he didn't speak a lot but he did strike his version of a Johnny Ramone pose and locked into the fucking beat like a crazier, faster decendents. I had never heard them before and it was me and about 20 other people in the venue that night but they fucking ripped hard. You'd have sworn the place was packed.

Then Lucero came on and they all just sort of stood there ... Ben sang and played great, the band sounded great but the songs all sounded lifeless and it was boring. The music was on point and fucking crystal clear but it just wasnt interesting. 

Grabass killed it ... I had no idea what the drummer was screaming but I didn't care ... the energy was palpable. It was a living, breathing entity.

Blink used to have that. Sure, it wasn't as prevalent in the post reunion but it was there. It wasn't until you watched the youtube videos that you realized Tom sucked dick but then you were completely out of the moment so it wasn't the same. I saw Blink at the Pop Disaster tour and, while Green Day was the better band ... I had waaaay more fun with Blink. I saw them with the tour they did with Cypress Hill and same thing .... Fucking nailed it ... even with Tom drunk and fucking up. 

The energy is everything live. 

So saying it doesn't matter is just fucking ridiculous. You can be the best band in the world musically but if you've got not energy then people don't give a shit.

That's not to say Matt is a shitty performer it's just that energy wise, he doesn't fit ... at least not yet, not until he grows more comfortable, it takes years to build that kind if chemistry, he still has a chance.

Right now though ... it's not a contest. Tom wins, hands down.

Lucero was technically the best band on the bill but Grabass killed and made them look like intermission ... Against Me! though ... Fuck! Early Against Me! Shows were a reason to fucking live. They are some of the best shows I have ever been to, hands down.

I swooned over your way with words.

3 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I know dude, you owned us so badly I just want to make sure you're ready to step into the spotlight!!! ****I'd invest in a tuner first though****

Also...playing a soundcheck in front of 200 people TOPS vs 15,000.....yeah....the energy would be a bit different.  

Inspired by your post I put on the bass and drums of "always" got the guitar out got the microphone out and played along and sang. Yep I was better than Skiba... I even knew the words to the song ..

7 hours ago, Speedo said:

Against Me! though ... Fuck! Early Against Me! shows were a reason to fucking live. They are some of the best shows I have ever been to, hands down.

The recent Against Me! shows are super energetic too. Not as 2004 but still really energetic. And Atom is killing it

Tom definitely had more energy and gave the live shows something unique and just more fun and yeah, 2003 prior Tom craps all over Skeebs, but I'm sorry, I can never look passed his actual shit show as a performer since the reunion. it was embarrassing, borderline insulting. Skiba messes up some parts sure, forgets some lyrics yes - I get those issues, but the difference is he cares and he tries, two things we haven't had from Tom since the reunion. I don't know how much energy and excitement he could drum up either considering how stale and rigid their set is. Everything is to backing tracks so they can't improvise or do things a little differently or change the speed at all, everything is specifically set up to pyro stuff and cannons and other crap because they want that spectacle to be seen instead of showmanship, and half the stuff he's singing and playing isn't his so he can't take ownership and have fun with it, he has to play it 'by the book'.

Of course he's not going to have the same energy and the live shows aren't going to be as much fun. Skiba could be totally killing it but with their current rigid set up, it would still be boring as all hell. It really isn't Skiba's fault, I blame whoever the hell is responsible for the way their live shows are run. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Since88 said:

The recent Against Me! shows are super energetic too. Not as 2004 but still really energetic. And Atom is killing it

I want to see against me! I saw them at a festival a couple years ago but it was a day set, small crowd, more chill and less raging, couldn't believe it. Still they performed well. But to see them in an actual venue would be great. Hopefully in September!!!

5 hours ago, Kay said:

Tom definitely had more energy and gave the live shows something unique and just more fun and yeah, 2003 prior Tom craps all over Skeebs, but I'm sorry, I can never look passed his actual shit show as a performer since the reunion. it was embarrassing, borderline insulting. Skiba messes up some parts sure, forgets some lyrics yes - I get those issues, but the difference is he cares and he tries, two things we haven't had from Tom since the reunion. I don't know how much energy and excitement he could drum up either considering how stale and rigid their set is. Everything is to backing tracks so they can't improvise or do things a little differently or change the speed at all, everything is specifically set up to pyro stuff and cannons and other crap because they want that spectacle to be seen instead of showmanship, and half the stuff he's singing and playing isn't his so he can't take ownership and have fun with it, he has to play it 'by the book'.

Of course he's not going to have the same energy and the live shows aren't going to be as much fun. Skiba could be totally killing it but with their current rigid set up, it would still be boring as all hell. It really isn't Skiba's fault, I blame whoever the hell is responsible for the way their live shows are run. 

Didn't you never get to see blink live with Tom? I'm not trying to invalidate your opinion, but my point was mainly ignore the live videos with Tom because it's all about the experience at the show with the energy and his stage presence where you don't notice the voice problem too much. In my experience, all of the shows I went to with Tom were way more fun with a more engaged crowd than the one with matt. I definitely enjoyed the show I went to with matt though, it was good. He sounds better overall, but I still prefer Tom's live guitar playing with the slides, the little improvisations since he knows the songs he wrote and doesn't have to play the album note by note, it just makes the experience way more exciting and the crowd goes nuts when he does that stuff. If his tone wasn't so bad at the end, I would say it's no contest Tom because I can get over the voice. I also think mark has lost some of his stage presence too moving around a lot less so it's not just matt, they're getting older cant really fault them for that.

3 minutes ago, NotNow said:

Didn't you never get to see blink live with Tom? I'm not trying to invalidate your opinion, but my point was mainly ignore the live videos with Tom because it's all about the experience at the show with the energy and his stage presence where you don't notice the voice problem too much. In my experience, all of the shows I went to with Tom were way more fun with a more engaged crowd than the one with matt. I definitely enjoyed the show I went to with matt though, it was good. He sounds better overall, but I still prefer Tom's live guitar playing with the slides, the little improvisations since he knows the songs he wrote and doesn't have to play the album note by note, it just makes the experience way more exciting and the crowd goes nuts when he does that stuff. If his tone wasn't so bad at the end, I would say it's no contest Tom because I can get over the voice. I also think mark has lost some of his stage presence too moving around a lot less so it's not just matt, they're getting older cant really fault them for that.

I've never seen blink live ever, Tom or no Tom, I'm going purely from videos and I know obviously the experience is different when you're in the audience. My point is from an actual 'performer' perspective Matt is just actually more competent, and the issues people are blaming him for aren't necessarily his fault, more the way current blink operates. 

8 minutes ago, Kay said:

I've never seen blink live ever, Tom or no Tom, I'm going purely from videos and I know obviously the experience is different when you're in the audience. My point is from an actual 'performer' perspective Matt is just actually more competent, and the issues people are blaming him for aren't necessarily his fault, more the way current blink operates. 

I agree I don't think the issues are his fault. I think they're problems anyone would face trying to join blink as a new lead guitarist and vocalist.