Sign in to follow this  
daveyjones

tom delonge's custom 'blink' nameplate for his ampeg VL 1002

so, i've finally purchased an ampeg VL 1002 (after wanting one for 22 years)!

and i'm recreating tom's custom nameplate that he replaced the ampeg logo with. the front of the head has a piece of 2mil clear acrylic (precisely 12.9375" x 2.7188") set in a bevel frame. there are two lights inside the amp electronics, so that when the amp is on, the logo is illuminated:

ampeg-light-00.jpg

tom's custom mod, when lit, looked like this:

ampeg-light-05.jpg

ampeg-light-04.jpg

ampeg-light-01.jpg

ampeg-light-03.jpg

both his VL 502 and VL 1002 were modified in the same way. here is the VL 502, band practicing at DML studios in escondido in 1996:

ampeg-light-02.jpg

later in 1996, tom removed both blink nameplates and put the ampeg ones back on. you can tell the difference between the VL 502 and 1002, as the 502 has a more gunmetal gray face, and the 1002 is black with the purple graphic highlights:

ampeg-both_VLs.jpg

note that the guitar cable (spectraflex) in the above two pictures is still manufactured:

https://www.amazon.com/Spectraflex-Original-Instrument-Cable-Green/dp/B001RNHBOC

the lettering was likely prepared with help from a friend in the cargo art department, as the typeface (times new roman bold, all lowercase) and dark cyan blue color are consistent with cheshire cat era blink branding. the color is in fact identical to what was used on the post-182 CC promo poster:

182-_CC-promo.jpg

here is my amp head, ready for modification. you can see the translucent vinyl i will be using on the chair below:

ampeg-light-06.jpg

i am laser cutting some 2mil acrylic, having made a precise contour template of my VL 1002 plate:

ampeg-light-contour.jpg

and here is the art:

ampeg-light-plate.jpg

i will be sure to post my results in this thread when the modification is complete! hopefully next week sometime.

• Like 6

This thread is so fascinating, awesome stuff! I never really thought about what font "blink" was in, but that's hilarious that it's just basic Times New Roman in bold!

1 hour ago, ryan1125 said:

hilarious that it's just basic Times New Roman in bold!

yup. i credit that to the low-budget cargo art dept. default fonts!

Default fonts are one thing but freakin' Times New Roman of all that is holy haha, it's great though. looking forward to see the results!

acrylic plates have been laser cut! i had enough substrate for eight of them. so if there is interest, i will offer the rest for sale after the vinyl graphic is complete.

acryls.jpg

• Like 1

here you can see the art as it will be registered with the plate:

plate-art.jpg

and with the bevel frame on, this demonstrates the relatively tight margin (as on tom's original):

plate-art-frame.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, knapton said:

Cool. I didnt even know Tom played these or did this. 

Yep. He's the reason I own one (also I needed an amp upgrade on a budget and it was my best option). Aside from the fact that Tom used them, they are seriously underrated amps because they never caught on because Marshall and Mesa/Boogie were competing (The Ampeg's were made from 1991-1995). I describe it as a JCM 800 on steroids because it surpasses the amount of gain an 800 has. 

@daveyjones Did Tom ever show any praise towards these amps when you asked him? I'm kind of intrigued to know what his opinion was.

9 minutes ago, Q182 said:

Did Tom ever show any praise towards these amps when you asked him? I'm kind of intrigued to have an idea of what his opinion was.

i remember him being super proud that he could afford mesa boogie. he mentioned that more than once.

@Q182  project complete!

panels.jpg

i had eight panels made in all, to use all the acrylic substrate purchased. four each in two slightly different shades of blue.

here is the panel installed on my ampeg VL 1002:

panel-installed.jpg

and with the lights out...

panel-light-01.jpg

panel-light-02.jpg

• Like 6

On 8/10/2017 at 3:20 PM, daveyjones said:

ampeg-light-05.jpg

Why does it look like that there is blue and green, not just blue in this.

8 minutes ago, Q182 said:

Why does it look like that there is blue and green, not just blue in this.

because that's from a terrible camcorder cap. the light does distort around the edges, as the light is a bit brighter behind the three bulbs. the factory bulbs are yellow. yellow + blue = green. i can see it slightly on my amp; the camcorder cap just exaggerates it.

the graphic is plain blue, as evidenced in some of the better photos. i've also seen it in person at shows many, many times.

ampeg-light-01.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah this is damn cool, fair play.

• Like 1

@Q182 here's a pic of the record release party at SOMA in february 1995, showing that tom had not yet modified the logo plate. i tweaked the levels in the the bottom copy of the image and you can clearly make out the ampeg logo.

blink-_CC-release-party-_SOMA-tom-playin

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Kjblink182 said:

@daveyjones I wasn't aware that he changed the nameplate that late. I never noticed that in the soma photos either. Maybe I should look for more easter eggs huh?

the mod lasted from the first quarter of 1995 through spring 1996.

• Like 2