What to expect?

justin88182

I don't know about you guys but 2009 was my first time seeing blink live. They opened with dumpweed and when that curtain fell and there they were was an unexplainable feeling. Best night of my life.

https://youtu.be/FmlJJ79cfzY

I have heard a lot of mixed reviews from people who have seen them recently with Matt, care to share your thoughts/experience?

to me, blink's best live shows comprised three things:

• speed/energy
  • crass banter
  • travis being a damn machine (scott too)

the speed has long been absent, due to their insistence on playing with backing tracks and synchronization with the light show. so the sloppiness that one could regard as endearing is (mostly) gone too... matt sings better than tom has in decades, even though some abhor his shout-y style, and they mostly play their instruments better. you can't fault them in some ways for having lower energy due to age, but it appears mostly robotic now. as for banter, there is none. you can't criticize matt for this... if he did his best tom impression it'd feel insincere. but there's a notable absence. mark isn't hilarious alone and it's as tame as it's ever been (for better or worse).

the only real reason to see blink live in 2017 is to witness the spectacle of travis barker beating the shit out of his drums. he's better than ever. i wish the show wasn't so scripted so we could have a better drum solo. in the end, you're mostly getting to watch the band play the hits like the album and not much more. it's pretty boring, and i can honestly say it's not worth your time.

• Like 3

It's not the same anymore. Still fun, but seeing blink last year was easily the worst blink show I've been to. That doesn't mean it was bad, I still had tons of fun and I'd still see them again pretty much anytime I have the chance, but a lot of what I love about blink disappeared when Tom left. Banter is all gone, stage presence is noticeably worse, energy is suffering. But in the end it's still a blink-182 show which makes for a damn good time no matter what, even if it's not as good as it used to be.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2017 at 8:57 PM, justin88182 said:

I don't know about you guys but 2009 was my first time seeing blink live.

1995 was my first time, and it's been a wild ride since. i've only seen them a couple of times with tom and travis; late 98 / early 99, and lastly summer 2000, with bad religion.

then i did not see them again until musink in 2015. it was strange... but matt did a decent job, i thought.

i saw them for one date on the '16 california tour, right on the barricade, and i thought it was a good show overall. matt's vocal style is different enough to stand out on certain songs as 'not fitting' but his guitar playing more than makes up for it, imo. i've listened to alk3 since the beginning and love all their stuff, so i'm a bit biased for skiba. i can't image what it's like for someone who isn't into the trio, or doesn't know them at all. probably very odd.

having seen blink so many times with scott and only a few with travis, matt in there doesn't mean as much. as a friend of mine likes to joke, blink is just "two guys and mark."

On 8/18/2017 at 10:57 PM, justin88182 said:

I don't know about you guys but 2009 was my first time seeing blink live. They opened with dumpweed and when that curtain fell and there they were was an unexplainable feeling. Best night of my life.

https://youtu.be/FmlJJ79cfzY

I have heard a lot of mixed reviews from people who have seen them recently with Matt, care to share your thoughts/experience?

If you're a raging tombot you will hate it and probably show up to these boards every day for the rest of your life to complain about it.

If you're not, you will have a great time. You'll objectively point out the many positives and negatives of Tom in the band, and be happy your favorite band is out playing shows!

• Like 1

It wasn't horrible, there were so many assholes in my crowd which detracted from things. Obviously when you go to these shows you expect people being stupid, but at my show it was mean spirited, lots of fights and people just being pieces of shit. The chemistry is just not there with Matt, any OBJECTIVE person will tell you that. But it's not like he is terrible. He is about as good as any guitarist for hire who is filling in to play the songs. So he still delivers a Blink set that you can enjoy.

It was still a good time. I wouldn't see them again though.

• Like 1

It really depends. I've seen blink 3 times with Tom and once with Matt. I definitely prefer Tom just due to the sheer energy he used to bring but I think in time Matt will fit in better as they filter out old Tom songs and include more songs Matt originally wrote. I think he's technically better than Tom, only because he's trying to earn his money correctly unlike Tom at the end who just didn't give a shit anymore. But Matt still messes up songs quite a bit but if you're having fun you shouldn't really notice it until someone on here points it out on a  future video shot on a phone by some asshole. Anyways I'm probably not seeing them until the set-list changes more, but I did get to enjoy Travis on the drums and hang with my sister so at the end the show is what you personally make it.

• Like 1

I honestly was let down by it. Ive never hid that i dont like Matt in the band but the show just felt boring. I think matt had a bad night at my show too and my biggest complaint was they only played for an hour and 10 minutes. Thats with the encore and all that shit.