Does anyone still have the rough mix leak version of WDNTW?

CyanFire

• 4 months later...

It's the same album, basically. I haven't listened to it since yesteryear, but I remember it has subtle differences on the songs' intros, and the songs are not as 'connected' as they were on the final master (I mean, the little transitions). Also, the tracklist order differs and the overall sound differs, as it looks like it wasn't the mastered version. Or not the final EQd and mastered one. This was rumored to be Tom's own leak prior to the first AvA show, back in April 2006. I'm 100% sure it was.

I also have the first version of The Adventure. That one has a longer intro that the album version, and is full of Tom's gasps in between verses while taking air to sing. Also, the sound is really flat compared to the final iteration. I guess it was one of the first final-attempting mixes. Regarding to the gasping, it was cleaned later on for the final version. Still have the first snippets they released on the teasers and all. Nothing special, just nostalgia, haha.

I guess I can do something if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

It's the same album, basically. I haven't listened to it since yesteryear, but I remember it has subtle differences on the songs' intros, and the songs are not as 'connected' as they were on the final master (I mean, the little transitions). Also, the tracklist order differs and the overall sound differs, as it looks like it wasn't the mastered version. Or not the final EQd and mastered one. This was rumored to be Tom's own leak prior to the first AvA show, back in April 2006. I'm 100% sure it was.

I also have the first version of The Adventure. That one has a longer intro that the album version, and is full of Tom's gasps in between verses while taking air to sing. Also, the sound is really flat compared to the final iteration. I guess it was one of the first final-attempting mixes. Regarding to the gasping, it was cleaned later on for the final version. Still have the first snippets they released on the teasers and all. Nothing special, just nostalgia, haha.

I guess I can do something if anyone is interested.

Haha yeah I remember those, didn’t even realise that it was edited out,”I wanna have the same last dream again *huuh* the one where I wake up” almost like a note haha!

Also, are you talking about the album version where It Hurts was the third track? If so I had that one as well. That tracklist had a better flow imo

Sure! I'll contact you, as long as we can't post links.

Edit: By the way, on 'my pack' I added The Machine (which I think it leaked later on than the rest of the album) and also a 'live-not-really-live' version of Do It For Me Now. But the original leak didn't include those.

I'm interested in hearing these too, had no idea that this album was leaked. That album was mixed great though. Other AVA albums weren't done nearly as well. You'd think Jerry Finn was still involved with the way the album sounds too. Just as good as the smiley face album when it comes to mixing IMO.

Would be cool to listen to rough/rawer versions or whatever. Wish blink had the same with the smiley face album.

4 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

I'm interested in hearing these too, had no idea that this album was leaked. That album was mixed great though. Other AVA albums weren't done nearly as well. You'd think Jerry Finn was still involved with the way the album sounds too. Just as good as the smiley face album when it comes to mixing IMO.

Would be cool to listen to rough/rawer versions or whatever. Wish blink had the same with the smiley face album.

Finn wasn't involved in any way. Tom himself, along with Critter, produced the album. Tom Lord-Alge mixed it.

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

Finn wasn't involved in any way. Tom himself, along with Critter, produced the album. Tom Lord-Alge mixed it.

Yeah that's why I'm surprised the AVA albums sound worse and worse after each album. Has pretty much the same guys working on it, but only WDNTW and arguably I-Empire seems to be just as good as the smiley face album from a mixing stand point. That's just my IMO though.

1 hour ago, Nosferatu said:

Yeah that's why I'm surprised the AVA albums sound worse and worse after each album. Has pretty much the same guys working on it, but only WDNTW and arguably I-Empire seems to be just as good as the smiley face album from a mixing stand point. That's just my IMO though.

Isn't it different studios? The drums for WDNTW is in a different studio than I-Empire at least..

2 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Just what @Since88 pointed out. The drums were recorded in a separate studio, in fact it was the Studio 606, owned by Dave Grohl, and the guy has impressive recording stuff on those rooms, and better conditions for drums recording... although I think that taking in count the date of recording, Grohl still hadn't the legendary Neve board that he purchased from the Sound City Studios. So, I'm not sure Tom got access to that board yet. Anyway, that room in which they recorded drums had actual 'room'. Sure they processed the drum tracks, but the recording itself on that space had a natural vibe that got captured on the record. A proper setup on a 'big' room makes the difference for tracking drums.

I-Empire was a different story in terms of places of recording, but yeah, the people involved was pretty much the same. I guess they were reaching a different approach.

In my opinion, WDNTW and I-Empire are the best albums in general terms and under a vast perspective. I haven't listened to them since... woah, few years ago, but they're definitely their best works. It was that period in which Tom still lokked like a focused guy who had a purpose and a goal in terms of trying something concrete with music. Sure, he was saying stupid things and stuff that, later on, we all know it was too much for what it became reai in the end, but the music had still something. I still thing that there's a really decent record if you make a solid selection of songs out of those two.

Edit: with this last paragraph I was trying to say that, somehow, Tom entered a shitty kind of comfort zone, in which he produced the Love records. Then he, more or less, realized that, and specially with Critter death, and all the downhill he's been through, the music changed. The Dream Walker was a good attempt to rebirth the band and its sound (if you don't take in cout the Stomping The Phantom Brake Pedal), but in the end, it vanished into nothing. He did 0 shows for that record. I think it was the first time he didn't tour an album.

By the way, you can see Atom recording drums for The War here:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Since88 said:

Isn't it different studios? The drums for WDNTW is in a different studio than I-Empire at least..

Yeah, definitely all in different studios. That video does sound pretty damn good as well. I do think a lot of it is artistic choices too. The Dream Walker sounds way more raw than previous AVA stuff.

Ugh I miss when this was happening.  It sucked not having real Blink, but I was super hopeful about AvA.  I loved Whisper when it came out and ate everything up about it leading up the release. I taped the Fuse album launch thing on my VHS player, and watched that over and over. Pretty sure It's still layin around somewhere.

• 1 month later...
On 10/01/2018 at 7:34 AM, Ghost said:

Sure! I'll contact you, as long as we can't post links.

Edit: By the way, on 'my pack' I added The Machine (which I think it leaked later on than the rest of the album) and also a 'live-not-really-live' version of Do It For Me Now. But the original leak didn't include those.

Any chance you could hook me up too please Ghost? Still searching for it since i made this thread