The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Totally drunk right now, totally just flicked on the TV and saw the Not Now video.

Rather emotional,  Matt is such a solid replacement and a good guy for Blink,  but it's hard not to miss Tom in moments of mass nostalgia. Kind of like an ex who was a massive cunt 90% of the time  but amazing in bed the other 10%

everyone here is aware there's a huge song out right now namedropping blink right? it's currently a top 10 hit here in the states, and i heard it on the radio a couple times today. it's certainly an earworm

the reason i bring this up is because i think this is a REALLY good sign. blink is becoming a part of the cultural moment again it feels like, with everything we've seen this year. it may sound crazy, but this song's popularity could help bolster crossover potential of sober. i say that based on no evidence whatsoever, but a lot of young kids will wonder who blink are and when sober hits, it could provide some extra gasoline.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, boxelder said:

everyone here is aware there's a huge song out right now namedropping blink right? it's currently a top 10 hit here in the states, and i heard it on the radio a couple times today. it's certainly an earworm

the reason i bring this up is because i think this is a REALLY good sign. blink is becoming a part of the cultural moment again it feels like, with everything we've seen this year. it may sound crazy, but this song's popularity could help bolster crossover potential of sober. i say that based on no evidence whatsoever, but a lot of young kids will wonder who blink are and when sober hits, it could provide some extra gasoline.

Yeah but why Sober? It just sounds like a FoB song. It would have the same effect or better with a different song thats more their traditional sound

4 hours ago, boxelder said:

i just don't get it, how this shitty song can get tens of millions of listeners? it's not a good song at all. i wouldn't even call this type of thing a song. the instrumentation sucks. the lyrics are terrible and the same thing is repeated 8 times. the vocal melody is just nothing, it sounds like someone's trying to sing but can't. it's an overproduced poem written by a highschooler. anything from blink's california is clearly better than this.

5 hours ago, boxelder said:

when does Blink get mentioned in the song

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

i just don't get it, how this shitty song can get tens of millions of listeners? it's not a good song at all. i wouldn't even call this type of thing a song. the instrumentation sucks. the lyrics are terrible and the same thing is repeated 8 times. the vocal melody is just nothing, it sounds like someone's trying to sing but can't. it's an overproduced poem written by a highschooler. anything from blink's california is clearly better than this.

I think it's a great pop tune, got hooked when i heard the first verse......it's catchy, it has this deephouse fibe that is really hot in pop music at the moment(which i love, a lot better than pop music in 2010 or whatever...with all the dubstep stuff..)

i think the song catches that ''forever young'' ''youth'' sound that blink182 is also all about.........the mention of blink works great in the song...

i don't know...i really like pop music, although i'm punkrock at heart.

i also think....the song could be a blink182 song....if u stripped it down to the core..and would start rebuilding in a blink182 way....

those melodies are perfect for mark hoppus and tom/skiba......just imagine the song with guitars and stuff....

imagine the deephouse instrumental as a band instrumental with guitar slides....

also, i've hated pop music for years.....but the whole laid back deephouse stuff that justin bieber, ellie goulding and lots of artists are doing is just great to my ears

50 minutes ago, jordidanen95 said:

I think it's a great pop tune, got hooked when i heard the first verse......it's catchy, it has this deephouse fibe that is really hot in pop music at the moment(which i love, a lot better than pop music in 2010 or whatever...with all the dubstep stuff..)

i think the song catches that ''forever young'' ''youth'' sound that blink182 is also all about.........the mention of blink works great in the song...

i don't know...i really like pop music, although i'm punkrock at heart.

i was into pop music in 1996-'97. so it's not really pop for me. my definition for pop includes keywords like: fast, without a break, active, lively, vocal-driven... just think about wannabe by spice girls :D that was pop. this chainsmokers song is something totally different. even rap-pop was more melodic back then than today's pop (eg.: coolio - i'll c u when u get there).

39 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

i was into pop music in 1996-'97. so it's not really pop for me. my definition for pop includes keywords like: fast, without a break, active, lively, vocal-driven... just think about wannabe by spice girls :D that was pop. this chainsmokers song is something totally different. even rap-pop was more melodic back then than today's pop (eg.: coolio - i'll c u when u get there).

the 90s....you could've picked ''Torn'' by natalie imbruglia, but u chose wannabe by the spice girls......

and u think chainsmokers are bad.....

oh damn hahaha, but i guess everyone has their own opinion

Is Sober even going to be a single though? It's weird why they haven't played it live yet. I wander if the band has seen all the mixed reactions to it and aren't sure to release it as a single or not.

Depends on how many singles this album gets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Yeah but why Sober? It just sounds like a FoB song. It would have the same effect or better with a different song thats more their traditional sound

because sober doesn't sound like blink-182. and that's good for it crossing over. for all of its underground revivals, pop punk will likely never be as big as it was. FOB returned and has had hits by creating music that sounds nothing like who they were. aerosmith got big again in the late 80s and they too were more pop-oriented than their first run. dishonest? you be the judge. it's pretty obvious that sober will be the third single since SOOHM is all but confirmed. sober's right behind it on streaming platforms, it's got a crazy catchy hook... more than anything on the record, it seems tailor-made for making blink stars again. hell, the idea behind it was "what would blink look like on modern rock radio in 2016?" they've already conquered that with bored to death. the last thing to do is sandwich them between sia and justin timberlake again.

as for "hype is dead", twenty one pilots didn't throw out stressed out as their first single, and it only crossed over a year after the album came out... now the rest of its singles are making their way. there's no timetable for it. the way i see it, which is no expert opinion, it's all about timing, good promotion, and luck

1 hour ago, boxelder said:

because sober doesn't sound like blink-182. and that's good for it crossing over. for all of its underground revivals, pop punk will likely never be as big as it was. FOB returned and has had hits by creating music that sounds nothing like who they were. aerosmith got big again in the late 80s and they too were more pop-oriented than their first run. dishonest? you be the judge. it's pretty obvious that sober will be the third single since SOOHM is all but confirmed. sober's right behind it on streaming platforms, it's got a crazy catchy hook... more than anything on the record, it seems tailor-made for making blink stars again. hell, the idea behind it was "what would blink look like on modern rock radio in 2016?" they've already conquered that with bored to death. the last thing to do is sandwich them between sia and justin timberlake again.

as for "hype is dead", twenty one pilots didn't throw out stressed out as their first single, and it only crossed over a year after the album came out... now the rest of its singles are making their way. there's no timetable for it. the way i see it, which is no expert opinion, it's all about timing, good promotion, and luck

Stressed out was popular like last summer. It was not a year after the album came out, which would have been this spring. Also twenty one pilots is very much an anomaly for breaking mainstream. There live performance and their two best friend personas had a lot to do with it, very much like blink in their prime.

26 minutes ago, NotNow said:

Stressed out was popular like last summer. It was not a year after the album came out, which would have been this spring. Also twenty one pilots is very much an anomaly for breaking mainstream. There live performance and their two best friend personas had a lot to do with it, very much like blink in their prime.

stressed out didn't begin to chart on the hot 100 until late october, which was months after the album came out (not a year, but still a fair amount of time). i'd believe not many people had heard it until that point, just as many people haven't heard BTD since it's only an alternative radio hit.