The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

The problem with Neighorhoods is that it was unfairly compared to Untitled. For whatever reason California escapes that comparsion, I guess its the new lineup or the donut eater that makes the comparison null and void.

Furthermore the label just didn't care about the album, they didn't promote it, maybe they were fed up Tom's delays. I imagine they were. California is a whole new level of promotion.

Finally I think Mark and Travis have bad memories wrapped in Neighborhoods. I think they did back then too. It would be like if I went to say, Baltimore and got mugged and shot, I wouldn't want to go there again. Their refusal to play the songs live has nothing to do with it being a bad album, they just want to forget those times.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jane said:

I'm pretty sure I've posted this before, but anyway. Here's what Travis says in his book about working with Jerry Finn:

Jerry wasn’t some asshole rolling up to the studio in a Bentley—he was one of us. He could be honest with us, and we would listen to him, which is really important. These days, “producer” means “I’m going to write some songs for you.” He didn’t do that—he was more about giving us ideas and lending an extra set of ears. He’d say, “Hey, that sounds cool—why doesn’t that part at the end go a little longer?” Or “What if this song had an intro?“

Taken From: Travis Barker. „Can I Say.“ iBooks, page 167.

Book reference! Its getting all academic and shizz.  

50 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Thanks! so its settled. Lets state for the record now.

JERRY FINN DID NOT WRITE BLINK SONGS!! FELDMAN DOES.

So can we stop the stupid defense now that Finn and Feldman are the same? They aren't. It was a really stupid defense to begin with. ANd as far as Finn helping with suggestions here or there, I never denied that, that is different fro being a fucking co writer.

I advise many of you Feldman bots to open up the little booklets that came with your CDs and locate what people did, nowhere will you find Finn as a co writer of Blink material.

You're splitting hairs at this point. What's the difference between writing material and producing a song? The former you're helping with lyrics, song structure, etc., the latter you're helping with the "sound of the song." Literally, yes, they are different, but they both have to do with creating a song. The only difference is whether someone gets a credit on a fucking booklet as a "co-writer." Feldman looks douchey enough (bleached teeth, orange tan) to want to be listed as a co-writer. It may have also been a legal thing so that he would get paid royalties for each song. Finn may have been paid purely on album sales, not singles, who knows? It doesn't matter. You're a miserable human being.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, two said:

You're splitting hairs at this point. What's the difference between writing material and producing a song? The former you're helping with lyrics, song structure, etc., the latter you're helping with the "sound of the song." Literally, yes, they are different, but they both have to do with creating a song. The only difference is whether someone gets a credit on a fucking booklet as a "co-writer." Feldman looks douchey enough (bleached teeth, orange tan) to want to be listed as a co-writer. It may have also been a legal thing so that he would get paid royalties for each song. Finn may have been paid purely on album sales, not singles, who knows? It doesn't matter. You're a miserable human being.

The distinction is clear. That's cool though that you and others like fake shit. I bet you like love letters from your GF written by professionals too. What a shallow taste in music you must have. God forbid I want a fucking Blink 182 song written by fucking Blink 182!!! Imagine that. What a crazy idea!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Olidamus said:

The problem with Neighorhoods is that it was unfairly compared to Untitled. For whatever reason California escapes that comparsion, I guess its the new lineup or the donut eater that makes the comparison null and void.

Furthermore the label just didn't care about the album, they didn't promote it, maybe they were fed up Tom's delays. I imagine they were. California is a whole new level of promotion.

This. 

I love Neighborhoods, it's my go to blink album for the car. Its a great record

• Like 2

I don't mean to sound condescending but I probably will - I think most people who aren't understanding the distinction between songwriting and producing probably just don't have experience writing and recording music. So it only matters to people who have done that and care about that difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olidamus said:

Finally I think Mark and Travis have bad memories wrapped in Neighborhoods. I think they did back then too. It would be like if I went to say, Baltimore and got mugged and shot, I wouldn't want to go there again. Their refusal to play the songs live has nothing to do with it being a bad album, they just want to forget those times.

A shame but i think you're right.   I wish however we could trade out some of the singles for after midnight,  hearts all gone,  kaleidoscope,  even if she falls 

• Like 1