The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

5 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Maybe you should have been a rock star when you grew up Oliver.

Obviously out of every 5 million people that want to be a rock star, 1 person becomes one.

That doesn't refute what I said.

1) They do not work harder than most people

2) I do not feel bad for them and anyone who does is stupid.

3) They make way more money.

4) They don't take time off because they are tired or deserve it, they take time off, because they can. Unlike most of us. They are lucky.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

I always find it weird that people justify rock stars "time off". I work, as do most people 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for the next 30+ years if I am lucky.

They get two years off and its like "Oh wow, well earned".

No its not. More like, they are rich and cashing in so they can do what they want. That's the plain truth of the matter. We've argued before, but touring in a luxury bus is not at all harder than the work most people do. Its just not.

That aside: If Blink did actually comes out and say they were taking a break, that is fine. I will retract. But last I heard a new album was gearing up as of this very instant. In fact I made a topic about it. So something has seriously changed and it begs that question, what? Does anyone know or have any quotes? It seems we don't;.

I'm not saying it's justified or not, but I do think it's well earned (extensive travelling, even on the luxury status, and tons of playing... I mean, that will be exhausting too).  Sure they are privileged ones, but hey, lucky them, man. Not because 90% of the people in the first world are work slaves means that if you're able to come out of that slavery, you don't have to come out because the rest can't. If could, I'll do the same. And that doesn't make you better or worse than anyone. I mean... isn't that what we would love to do? Work less and earn more money?

Anyway, so... for you is not enough to have that announcement done back a few weeks ago, right?. You just need your... so to say, december 15th tweet confirming it to feel like it's right? Like "hey, guys, we're on a vacation"? Is that what I'm understainding you're complaining about?

Oh, of course I'd love to do that.

I am just saying I don't get out my violin for them and play and sad song over how hard they work. That is just ridiculous IMO.

Yes, they could just take 30 seconds to confirm what is going on. Otherwise, it is certainly suspicious. Especially given that Matt basically said goodbye, and is doing ALK trio now (which seemed to be against his contract) and all others won't mention Blink.

It is strange for sure IMO.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Oh, of course I'd love to do that.

I am just saying I don't get out my violin for them and play and sad song over how hard they work. That is just ridiculous IMO.

Yes, they could just take 30 seconds to confirm what is going on. Otherwise, it is certainly suspicious. Especially given that Matt basically said goodbye, and is doing ALK trio now (which seemed to be against his contract) and all others won't mention Blink.

It is strange for sure IMO.

matt always says he has two bands, he has to find time for both bands, he doesn't want to abandon alkaline trio, so when his bigger and more succesful band (blink) is between tours and studio sessions, he will work with alkaline trio and work on anything else (solo stuff, art, etc). it's not a surprise that he's playing shows with alkaline trio or writes songs for that band. so you can stop repeating this "he basically said goodbye to blink" thing. everyone else understands the situation, i'm sure even you know your speculation is stupid. you just can't say you were wrong, or you just like to control the discussion by making up stupid problems.

1 hour ago, Olidamus said:

Obviously out of every 5 million people that want to be a rock star, 1 person becomes one.

That doesn't refute what I said.

1) They do not work harder than most people

No shit

2) I do not feel bad for them and anyone who does is stupid.

No shit

3) They make way more money.

No shit

4) They don't take time off because they are tired or deserve it, they take time off, because they can. Unlike most of us. They are lucky.

No shit.

No one is doing that, they are just explaining that downtime between albums/tours is absolutely the norm for huge bands and is not always accompanied by an announcement that they are taking downtime

Yes, they could just take 30 seconds to confirm what is going on.

Someone just linked an interview with Mark awhile ago saying “Then we’ll take a little bit of time off"

Do you guys remember a time, when Blink actually cared, and there were constant video updates, and they put a webcam in the recording studio?

I 100% miss that time, I'll give you that. But even at that time what they were doing was kind of the opposite extreme of how they operate now, it wasn't how most other bands operated. That insight ended up being the ultimate way for all of us to get that personal connection to the band though. I fuckin loved those Cheetah videos man, what a time to be a blink fan haha.

I wonder if anyone has a complete collection of the cheetah videos. Those were so rad. I didn't watch any of them until after the album was out as I was more of a casual blink fan at that point. Didn't blink have them on the band's website for the longest time? I can't even remember how or when I ended up watching them but some of them were fucking hysterical.

• Like 1

Its a pretty interesting lineup when you think about it. 

John Feldmann writes the music, Mark pretends to write the music and Matt pretends to pretend to write the music. 

We also need to not take anything blink says in the media serious. They are the aboslute worst at saying things they never live up to. Like terrible. And we go over this everytime it happens. Dont believe a thing Mark says in an interview. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

I wonder if anyone has a complete collection of the cheetah videos. Those were so rad. I didn't watch any of them until after the album was out as I was more of a casual blink fan at that point. Didn't blink have them on the band's website for the longest time? I can't even remember how or when I ended up watching them but some of them were fucking hysterical.

I do, man, I do. All of them. Even those before the Untitled sessions.

• Like 2

Me and my friends watched those over and over and over as 13-14 year olds or whatever, right when we were deciding to try to learn instruments and start a band. The whole mix of recording sessions/fucking around/living in a house with your friends making music was super influential on us now that I look back on it, along with the UC DVDs showing their tour life and stuff. I probably wouldn't have stuck with my own music this long if I didn't watch those obsessively back when I was growing up haha

• Like 1

On 12/20/2017 at 4:14 PM, vic vinegar said:

i posted a compilation of the pre-untitled clips together in this vid. it was blocked apparently without my knowledge some time ago, but it may work again (i had to remove some audio). i wanted to get to the 2003 clips, but there were so many. perhaps another time! but i too have all the vids.

• Like 1