The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

I don't think Tom had a cut of the royalties off of the California songs. Maybe he got paid for the use of the brand 'blink-182' (qhich, I guess, he still co-owns), but not for the songs. Also, he surely got his cut off of the live performances of the old songs too.

Unless they had an agreement of non-agression or something similar.

9 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I don't think Tom had a cut of the royalties off of the California songs. Maybe he got paid for the use of the brand 'blink-182' (qhich, I guess, he still co-owns), but not for the songs. Also, he surely got his cut off of the live performances of the old songs too.

Unless they had an agreement of non-agression or something similar.

How would they use the name blink on the Cali album but Tom not get royalties? Not being condescending, just wondering. 

tom definitely got royalties for the songs written by him when those were played at show, and obviously for past album sales, but by default he deserves nothing else as royalty.

if he's still part of the blink company, he may get a percentage (dividend) of all incomes.

i don't think he can get money for the blink name. but it's company policy. they probably have an agreement/contract about who can legally perform as "blink-182". tom may asked for money to let the mark+matt+travis trio use the name, but i guess it was just a one-off thing, not a continuous revenue.

It might be a continuous thing, with the way Tom goes on about being able to 'come back whenever' I imagine he still owns some of the rights to the name and therefore gets some form of financial compensation whenever they use it, new records and all.

Tom would get royalties for past albums as usual and most probaly get a set percentage of sales from new blink lineup set up by a certain contract he would of probaly signed to make this all happen alot smoother.

I dont believe for one second that he can just come back whenever he wants..

But i also think all 3 of them arnt too distant with each and mark would probably work with tom again eventually...its a no brainer tbh to let tom back financially wise ..

Its interesting tho if matt says hey guys its ok ill take a back seat and play with trio while tom plays with u for a while or if marks too nice and all 3 work with each other...depends of toms ego can take playing with his replacement 

I'm not 100% positive on how this works, but I believe you get paid royalties when a song you "own," AKA have songwriting credit on, gets sold or performed. Tom obviously doesn't have any songwriting credits on California, so I don't believe he would have any reason to get paid any royalties from the album (other than some sort of payment to use the name Blink 182 like some people have suggested)

4 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

How would they use the name blink on the Cali album but Tom not get royalties? Not being condescending, just wondering. 

Maybe I explained myself wrong. I was meaning just that: getting paid for the use of the name of the band, but not for the songs royalties due to songwriting recognision on Cali, radioplay of those songs. He didn't wrote those songs, he doesn't get paid for Cali other than, as I said, the band using the name. Is my guessing. But being 'blink-182' a company in which he has a share, he's obviously getting money out of the old records, name use and all, aside of punctual agreements on the Tom's breakup and Matt hiring process.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kay said:

It might be a continuous thing, with the way Tom goes on about being able to 'come back whenever' I imagine he still owns some of the rights to the name and therefore gets some form of financial compensation whenever they use it, new records and all.

the band's name is a trademark or copyrighted brand held by the company behind the band (viking wizard eyes llc). so in a legal way tom is not personally connected to the name usage. he can be an authorised person who could use the name, but at the moment he is clearly not one (he could not release his alleged blink demos as blink or he can't print blink t-shirts, etc).

that's why i guess there's no such thing as a percentage for the name usage... it happens on another level: they use the name on a t-shirt design or somewhere, and when it's sold, the company gets the profit, then the company members got their yearly or monthly dividend. so the name usage is just a small part of the whole thing.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

the band's name is a trademark or copyrighted brand held by the company behind the band (viking wizard eyes llc). so in a legal way tom is not personally connected to the name usage. he can be an authorised person who could use the name, but at the moment he is clearly not one (he could not release his alleged blink demos as blink or he can't print blink t-shirts, etc).

that's why i guess there's no such thing as a percentage for the name usage... it happens on another level: they use the name on a t-shirt design or somewhere, and when it's sold, the company gets the profit, then the company members got their yearly or monthly dividend. so the name usage is just a small part of the whole thing.

Ah okay that does make more sense

4 hours ago, Zoltan said:

So does Tom get $ from the Cali sales?

All we know is Tom is forsure getting paid in some way or another from Blink.  How much is up for debate.  I think it's more than anyone wants to admit though because Mark always looks bitter as fuck when asked on it, while simultaneously selling out like a mf'er, and Tom looks way too content when talking about Blink.

• Like 1

Take it with a pinch of salt because it could be different in the US but a civil law professor told us that when a song is played on the radio, on tour, on tv or it's covered, half of the royalties goes to the actual writers and the other half goes to the publisher (the label) - then the publisher gives a percentage of the money to the band members who are not credited as writers. 

If Mark and the lawyers didn't do anything in order to prevent Tom from getting a percentage when the California songs are played live, he's getting paid as he keeps saying that he's "still in the band".

Then there are recording artist royalties and they rule the album sales. When you sell an album, it's just the credited writer who gets a percentage of sales income, regardless of the songs being performed - so Tom only gets his percentage from the albums he was in as he has nothing to do with California. That's also why Travis wanted to be credited as writer after Enema, he wanted more $$$$.