The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

I like the direction they were going in on DED but none of the songs have stuck with me very much. Definitely seemed like it was going to be a great stepping stone though, they were focusing in on a more natural sound than the sorta all-over-the-place vibe of Neighborhoods. Then they obviously left behind that sadder twinge to their music on California.

i never really liked DED. it felt underwhelming when it was released and over the years it just hasnt aged well for me. boxing day's out-of-tune, disaster sounds like mark and trav conforming to an AVA b-side, and DED itself sounds like mark's first thing he could come up with. i liked when i was young back then, and PLG. but i haven't listened to that EP in years. i always kinda wished it didn't exist. it felt slopped together and boring

neighborhoods, on the other hand, still seems fresh.

I loved When I Was Young when I first heard it and didn't care too much for Disaster, but now that has changed. When I Was Young doesn't do much for me anymore, and Disaster is by far my favorite track. I love every song on the EP, with WIWY being the weakest of the five. I was so excited for the direction I thought blink was going.

And I'm also bummed that they never released physical copies of the EP. Even Tom's AVA EP's got physical releases.

The thing with disaster is that i like the intro and verses, but the chorus is lame.

PLG same thing, Like the verses but the chorus sucks, and the bridge sucks

Boxing Day is a fun song but the production and mixing sounds terrible in my opinion.

Dogs Eating Dogs and When I Was Young are probably the 2 best with the title track being the strongest.

I haven't been real happy with blink's production since after Self-Titled/GH. From 2011-2017 everything has been either underproduced with weird mixing and muddy and weak instrument tones, Or an overproduced compressed Mcdonalds Happy Meal sound ugh ugh Cali ugh. Nothing beats how their studio work sounded during 1999-2004. 

• Like 2

If you mixed your favorite Neighborhoods and DED songs into a 12 track album it'd probably be up there though.  Still not above Self titled or Dude ranch for me, but I'd definitely listen to it as much as Enema & Toypaj.  I'd just consider it a sort of indie project to explain the muffled production and it's pretty great and interesting.

I hate muffled though. I can't ignore it.  It works on Natives but on like Up All Night it's unbearable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jordidanen95 said:

The thing with disaster is that i like the intro and verses, but the chorus is lame.

PLG same thing, Like the verses but the chorus sucks, and the bridge sucks

Boxing Day is a fun song but the production and mixing sounds terrible in my opinion.

Dogs Eating Dogs and When I Was Young are probably the 2 best with the title track being the strongest.

I haven't been real happy with blink's production since after Self-Titled/GH. From 2011-2017 everything has been either underproduced with weird mixing and muddy and weak instrument tones, Or an overproduced compressed Mcdonalds Happy Meal sound ugh ugh Cali ugh. 

Yeah, definitely agree with you there. The bridge in Disaster is lazy as well IMO. Feels more like a break instead of a bridge. I actually like the chorus of PLG but the rap is so forced. Always gonna be open for blink having a guest feature on their songs but it's gotta at least be more natural, like the way it was with Robert Smith. They literally wrote that song with him in mind, that's why it works so well. Can't say the same for PLG and Yelawolf. His lyrics also don't fit with Tom's lyrics either IMO.

But PLG lyrically is fucking great outside of the rap. I think it's arguably one of Tom's best. Also wish they didn't have that folk/country thing going on in the intro and outro of Boxing Day, but the rest of the song is great. Mark really does sound great with Tom. Can't go wrong with WIWY and I love the DED song too but I feel like Mark wasn't even trying with that song haha.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nshesaid said:

If you mixed your favorite Neighborhoods and DED songs into a 12 track album it'd probably be up there though.  Still not above Self titled or Dude ranch for me, but I'd definitely listen to it as much as Enema & Toypaj.  I'd just consider it a sort of indie project to explain the muffled production and it's pretty great and interesting.

I hate muffled though. I can't ignore it.  It works on Natives but on like Up All Night it's unbearable.

I kinda like it on Kaleidoscope too. Suits the vibe of the song a lot. Also like it on FTG too but that's the problem with Neighborhoods. They're trying to sound ambitious and big on songs like Ghost on the Dance Floor/Snake Charmer but then you get that muddy/dull-ish sound when it comes to songs like Natives, Kaleidoscope etc

I get what Mark was trying to do, +44 is mixed similar but it's also done way better. But the Tom songs also contrast with it. They really needed to work together properly and with a producer to pull it off really. It's not so bad on DED despite no producer, because they were working together and Tom is actually playing guitar on Mark's song, so the songs blend together better on that but Neighborhoods is apples and oranges throughout.

• Like 1