The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

7 minutes ago, Speedo said:

I mean, not really ... Blink's music has never really held any political ideology in itself. So, it isn't a huge stretch to imagine the fan base might have a little diversity to it. Granted it leans more to one side than the other but that's more of a commentary of the genre population than it is of the band and their music and it isn't a steadfast rule, hence there being plenty of fans that are more right leaning. Blink wasn't very polarizing musically.

i'd love to know from @daveyjones if he could get a read on the fanbase pre-dude ranch, in terms of their views socially/politically. all i know is i went to two blink concerts in the past two years and it's evident their fanbase is pretty widespread. you'll see all types of people. doesn't surprise me we've got a few people screaming "snowflake" on here, though it's disappointing still

6 minutes ago, boxelder said:

i'd love to know from @daveyjones if he could get a read on the fanbase pre-dude ranch, in terms of their views socially/politically. all i know is i went to two blink concerts in the past two years and it's evident their fanbase is pretty widespread. you'll see all types of people. doesn't surprise me we've got a few people screaming "snowflake" on here, though it's disappointing still

They were punk kids, I'm willing to bet that it was liberal ... 90's liberal though isn't the same thing ... It's like middle of the spectrum by today's standards here ... When you could still wanna save the whales but make fun of them for being retarded beached ethans at the same time.

It's fun to call someone a Snowflake ... Regardless of their political leanings because anytime you do they react exactly like a snowflake would. It's one of the few terms that makes people become it's definition. It's great. 

Imagine if blink came out today lol.

They would be straight up buried. The very things that made us older fans fall in love with them (irreverence, immaturity, relatability etc.) would have never flown.

Songs about training girls, homophobia, music video with midgets, bestiality jokes, incest jokes, slight racial jokes (mexican pirate), making fun of handicapped...any ONE of those things may have buried them forever in today's world. Funny how fast things change.

You can tell that the Untitled/Neighborhoods/AVA-only fans are not as amused by older blink. They were part of the transitional period where that kind of stuff stopped being ok to find funny. Just look at Meat and his absolute disapproval of herpes jokes.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

They would be straight up buried. The very things that made us older fans fall in love with them (irreverence, immaturity, relatability etc.) would have never flown.

Songs about training girls, homophobia, music video with midgets, bestiality jokes, incest jokes, slight racial jokes (mexican pirate), making fun of handicapped...any ONE of those things may have buried them forever in today's world. Funny how fast things change.

You can tell that the Untitled/Neighborhoods/AVA-only fans are not as amused by older blink. They were part of the transitional period where that kind of stuff stopped being ok to find funny. Just look at Meat and his absolute disapproval of herpes jokes.

The 90's were great, I had a great childhood and I bet you did too! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I think it was that but also an insecurity of Tom not wanting to be a 'joke' band.

7 minutes ago, Ghent said:

You’re 100% right. Imagine the shit storm they’d cause now ? the last two of three years are been fucking shit tbh. The worlds gone mad. Snowflake cunts. Despise them

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Yeah agreed, even when I watch old concert videos now I catch myself cringing at times when back in 1999 I thought it was hilarious. That's a big part of why people roll their eyes when you say you are a Blink fan, they instantly associate it with immaturity and middle school dick jokes.

And in regards to my comment about Mark, I don't care if anyone is left/right/up/down,  I just hate when people constantly post their "angle" with outcry. I could care less about any of it and it's so abundant that as soon as someone begins to spew a political view I just tune it out. But it's Mark Hoppus man I don't wanna unfollow him lol.

2 hours ago, boxelder said:

i'd love to know from @daveyjones if he could get a read on the fanbase pre-dude ranch, in terms of their views socially/politically.

when i was in high school (early to mid-1990s) and going to shows in the southern california punk scene, there were two distinct flavors of bands:

1.) the more 'serious' punk bands, i.e. the political ones. this would be earlier 80s stuff like black flag, bands that were predominately 90s (pennywise, good riddance, propagandhi; lots of various epi-fat bands), and bands that crossed both the 80s and 90s scenes (bad religion being the best example). the politics of these groups were often left, but also libertarian and even right-wing. the uniting factor was the punk ethos—sort of a catch-all for fuck authority, think for yourself, DIY, etc. etc. whether you swung lefty or righty, it was about damn the man.

2.) bands that were more 'poppy,' i.e. the not-so-political ones. this was a wider group... but just because they didn't 'look' political didn't mean they didn't sing about interesting things. bands like green day and the descendents and NOFX and MXPX might have had a poppy gloss, but they also expressed points of view about society in their songs. it's important here to note that "politics" doesn't mean "party politics"... it's in a broader sense of politics meaning people and being political as having (any) kind of opinion(s) about society.

blink was at the shallow end of the pop pool. they may have played loud, faster socal skate punk pre-enema, but they didn't care about anything or sing about anything of substance (except teenage life). even the 90s version of the vandals had more to say. so did guttermouth (with mark adkins making a spectacle of himself on stage by at least half-pretending to be homophobic, and daring the crowd to beat him up).

now of course there's a gradient. you could pick, say, bad religion and rancid and green day and the offspring and guttermouth and millencolin and even sublime and chart them on a little axis i suppose. that's the bands.

as for the fans... http://www.dobi.nu/yourscenesucks/ is still the best guide ever created for 90s–00s scenester stereotypes. and you saw all of them at all the shows. i would say the only difference in crowds would be the aggression in the pit. in general the more explicitly political bands played harder and faster and had a wilder pit.

oh. and no matter what kind of band was playing, there were always assholes who just wanted to punch strangers in the face.

are the young people of today more open minded? in some ways, yes. you don't hear "fa**ot" tossed around very often, which is an improvement. people oppose bullies and stick up for the underdog. but i saw that back in the 90s too... anytime someone fell down in the pit, people would stop and pick them up. same with crowd-surfers. and young women were—for the most part, from what i observed—looked out for.

that's my two cents.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, daveyjones said:

when i was in high school (early to mid-1990s) and going to shows in the southern california punk scene, there were two distinct flavors of bands:

1.) the more 'serious' punk bands, i.e. the political ones. this would be earlier 80s stuff like black flag, bands that were predominately 90s (pennywise, good riddance, propagandhi; lots of various epi-fat bands), and bands that crossed both the 80s and 90s scenes (bad religion being the best example). the politics of these groups were often left, but also libertarian and even right-wing. the uniting factor was the punk ethos—sort of a catch-all for fuck authority, think for yourself, DIY, etc. etc. whether you swung lefty or righty, it was about damn the man.

2.) bands that were more 'poppy,' i.e. the not-so-political ones. this was a wider group... but just because they didn't 'look' political didn't mean they didn't sing about interesting things. bands like green day and the descendents and NOFX and MXPX might have had a poppy gloss, but they also expressed points of view about society in their songs. it's important here to note that "politics" doesn't mean "party politics"... it's in a broader sense of politics meaning people and being political as having (any) kind of opinion(s) about society.

blink was at the shallow end of the pop pool. they may have played loud, faster socal skate punk pre-enema, but they didn't care about anything or sing about anything of substance (except teenage life). even the 90s version of the vandals had more to say. so did guttermouth (with mark adkins making a spectacle of himself on stage by at least half-pretending to be homophobic, and daring the crowd to beat him up).

now of course there's a gradient. you could pick, say, bad religion and rancid and green day and the offspring and guttermouth and millencolin and even sublime and chart them on a little axis i suppose. that's the bands.

as for the fans... http://www.dobi.nu/yourscenesucks/ is still the best guide ever created for 90s–00s scenester stereotypes. and you saw all of them at all the shows. i would say the only difference in crowds would be the aggression in the pit. in general the more explicitly political bands played harder and faster and had a wilder pit.

oh. and no matter what kind of band was playing, there were always assholes who just wanted to punch strangers in the face.

are the young people of today more open minded? in some ways, yes. you don't hear "fa**ot" tossed around very often, which is an improvement. people oppose bullies and stick up for the underdog. but i saw that back in the 90s too... anytime someone fell down in the pit, people would stop and pick them up. same with crowd-surfers. and young women were—for the most part, from what i observed—looked out for.

that's my two cents.

Did they (Blink)  ever talk about politics privately? 

Don't forget that blink was the band that didn't want to be linked with the rock against bush compilation because they were afraid of losing fans.. but almost all the most popular MTV-approved pop-punk bands were apolitical at the time:  blink, Sum 41, Yellowcard, New Found Glory.