The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Discussion isn't about right vs left anymore, it's about the freedom of speech. I know it sounds very cliche, but a lot of liberals nowadays are openly and completely against it. That should worry you, whether you're left of right leaning. Classical liberalism is dying. Discussions and debate is what makes politics go in the right direction.

Obviously European definitions are different, I think I am socially liberal but fiscally conservative.

Mark trying to teach us about politics is just embarrassing and  it just sounds like he's trying trying to be relevant. Ah well, he can say whatever he wants. I like him more when he's saying stuff for what he became famous for. The funny stuff. Famous people fame whoring off of each other (spelled correctly?) as if their opinion is more worth - shut up already, you're not fooling me.

And guy above me is right: if Blink came out today with all their poop humor and offensive lyrcs - damn they'd be crucified. 

About the gun thing now, I know this sounds very entitled and arrogant, but I'm being genuine, in my country it's just unthinkable seeing or hearing about people having guns. It's just the law. Now, lately I've been studying and learning a bit more about American politics and I think it's really interesting. I get the pro-gun arguments, I get the arguments for more gun control. It's a heated debate, especially emotional right now, what are you guys thoughts about it?

Not like something intresting is happening with Blink right now.

I think Dave Rubin has an interesting political show on youtube: check it out! Has both right and left wing (allthough both terms are too general) guests. 

8 minutes ago, bastard said:

About the gun thing now, I know this sounds very entitled and arrogant, but I'm being genuine, in my country it's just unthinkable seeing or hearing about people having guns. It's just the law. Now, lately I've been studying and learning a bit more about American politics and I think it's really interesting. I get the pro-gun arguments, I get the arguments for more gun control. It's a heated debate, especially emotional right now, what are you guys thoughts about it?

see "breaking news" thread.

22 hours ago, Ghent said:

Imagine if blink came out today lol.

They would be straight up buried. The very things that made us older fans fall in love with them (irreverence, immaturity, relatability etc.) would have never flown.

Songs about training girls, homophobia, music video with midgets, bestiality jokes, incest jokes, slight racial jokes (mexican pirate), making fun of handicapped...any ONE of those things may have buried them forever in today's world. Funny how fast things change.

You can tell that the Untitled/Neighborhoods/AVA-only fans are not as amused by older blink. They were part of the transitional period where that kind of stuff stopped being ok to find funny. Just look at Meat and his absolute disapproval of herpes jokes.

Definitely agree with this. I remember a few years ago, playing the song "Fuck a Dog" out loud on my phone and someone took offence to it. He was like "I don't think that's funny. That stuff actually happens in this world." This was in like 2009, before all the PC crap started taking off as well. Man, I thought he was weird as hell. It's like saying Happy Gilmore fighting Bob Barker isn't funny, cause in the real world there's young men that beat up old men.

I don't give a crap what anyone says but in the entertainment world, stuff like that can be hilarious. If it's in the real world then it isn't. The PC crap just needs to stay away from the entertainment world IMO.

That song will always be pretty funny. Family Reunion, Blow Job, When You Fucked Grandpa etc I'll always find hilarious. Hell, not the biggest California fan but I like Built This Pool too. And also find Tom's Golden Showers song damn hilarious. Blink's ridiculous humour will always be something I enjoy, even if I prefer the darker & more mature side of blink

But their ridiculous humour is pretty much who they are and it shows even when Tom is there playing live when they're all over 40. Hell, even in AVA that humour shows in live sets. Even in the current Tom interviews, his ridiculous toilet humour is there.

I think half the reason i fell in love with blink more than Green Day, who at the time were huge with every edgy kid "who's not like everybody else", was that Billie Joe seemed like a preachy asshole and blink just seemed like guys who acted like morons just like me and my friends. Bear in mind though I was 14 and could relate to 30-year old men so I don't know who that says more about, me or Mark and Tom.

Oh, and blink is better than Green Day. Apple Shampoo, Lemmings, Waggy, Man Overboard, Dammit and Wendy Clear are still songs that I listen to on a daily basis and Mark peaked in 1997 and has been going down hill in terms of wongwriting ever since.

5 hours ago, Champ182 said:

Not sure, but at the exact same time Rock Against Bush came out, Tom was literally campaigning for John Kerry. So I don't think it's quite fair to think they were afraid of losing fans who liked Bush.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Soundtrack_for_America i was thinking of this. Maybe it's not explicitly anti Bush

4 hours ago, bastard said:

Discussion isn't about right vs left anymore, it's about the freedom of speech. I know it sounds very cliche, but a lot of liberals nowadays are openly and completely against it. That should worry you, whether you're left of right leaning. Classical liberalism is dying. Discussions and debate is what makes politics go in the right direction.

Obviously European definitions are different, I think I am socially liberal but fiscally conservative.

Mark trying to teach us about politics is just embarrassing and  it just sounds like he's trying trying to be relevant. Ah well, he can say whatever he wants. I like him more when he's saying stuff for what he became famous for. The funny stuff. Famous people fame whoring off of each other (spelled correctly?) as if their opinion is more worth - shut up already, you're not fooling me.

And guy above me is right: if Blink came out today with all their poop humor and offensive lyrcs - damn they'd be crucified. 

Not like something intresting is happening with Blink right now.

I think Dave Rubin has an interesting political show on youtube: check it out! Has both right and left wing (allthough both terms are too general) guests. 

John Locke the thread. Property rights above all because we are the property of the Lord. 

I jusr realized now that I am drunk

• Like 1

On 2018-02-14 at 1:56 PM, Ghent said:

Luckily I still have the same sense of humor now as I did when I was 13. I keep waiting, dreading the inevitable change, but nope. Pee Pee Poo Poo is still the way to go.

Im the same way. Im 26 years old and i still make fun of myself at work and pretend to half ethan shit all the time and find it hillarious. Thatll never change. 

New Alk3 article:

https://www.altpress.com/features/entry/alkaline_trio_biggest_moments_career_history

Couple highlights:

Dan: “There’s new stuff coming up for sure, and I feel like I’ve been saying that for three to four years because I have. I think it’s going to be sooner than later at this point, and I hope it’s going to be very soon. I’ve been writing, tossing around demos. Everyone’s been really patient and nice, but I miss the band; I miss what we do.”

Matt: "I’m sure that we’ll find time to get together and hopefully start writing and recording sooner than later. There’s nothing planned, but we’re certainly far from finished.”

Dan (later in the article): “We were like, ‘Man, we made eight records.’ We thought we were gonna take a break. We didn’t know Matt would go play for Blink and [have] it turn into this long break"

Certainly sounds like Dan is missing Alk3 and ready to get it going again.

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

New Alk3 article:

https://www.altpress.com/features/entry/alkaline_trio_biggest_moments_career_history

Couple highlights:

Dan: “There’s new stuff coming up for sure, and I feel like I’ve been saying that for three to four years because I have. I think it’s going to be sooner than later at this point, and I hope it’s going to be very soon. I’ve been writing, tossing around demos. Everyone’s been really patient and nice, but I miss the band; I miss what we do.”

Matt: "I’m sure that we’ll find time to get together and hopefully start writing and recording sooner than later. There’s nothing planned, but we’re certainly far from finished.”

Dan (later in the article): “We were like, ‘Man, we made eight records.’ We thought we were gonna take a break. We didn’t know Matt would go play for Blink and [have] it turn into this long break"

Certainly sounds like Dan is missing Alk3 and ready to get it going again.

It's something he's been saying a very long time now. 

• Like 1