The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

40 minutes ago, Kvothe said:

Maybe they recorded multiple songs on that performance that they didn't use yet? I have no clue. 

That would be pretty sweet, I remember bands always playing more songs than they showed on air when they'd play Kimmel back in the day. His site says it's a new episode tonight:

Wednesday, March 7
Charlize Theron (Gringo), Josh Duhamel (Unsolved), musical guest Lord Huron

Maybe Lord Huron had to cancel last minute and they're filling in an old Blink performance in that spot? Haha

They just posted blink reading mean tweets on kimmel on instagram. I don’t know what’s going on lol. Meat wouldn’t be happy though, the mean tweet they read was “being a fan of blink-182 is like living with herpes.” Im guessing the person that ran their accounts scheduled all of this stuff to be posted on their accounts over a year ago by accident and forgot about it.

19 hours ago, Champ182 said:

I've been meaning to read this! Just out of curiosity, remind me when they toured together? Did Blink hate each other at the time? haha

Ghent is right, it's reunion time. I think it was 2011, not 100% on that. 

she goes on to explain how (and im paraphrasing) she came out near the front to watch blink play and some old school punk comes up to her and is like "Can you believe these sell outs? I'm only here to see you and Rancid" and she's goes "Eh, I like blink. they put on a good show" so this punks response is to dump his drink on her and then try to hit her, he got taken away by security. So... that's a thing haha

19 hours ago, boxelder said:

i think it’s been established tom’s always been weirdly moody/insular on tours, more recently preferring to stay with his family or fly home on breaks. there’s no evidence travis was ever super sociable either. marks the only one you’d ever find riding bikes outside the venue or greeting fans or hanging out in town. he loves touring. i don’t think the band is collectively up their own ass or antisocial. marks always been nice 

yeah I'm not necessarily saying they're all that bad but it would be understandable considering their career, I just thought it was an interesting point. She talks about a lot of Against Me! tours and other bands, including the bad shit between her and alkaline trio (skiba included) but it was an odd comment that blink just didn't interact with anyone. but I think both your point and Ghents is correct - it was an awkward time for the band as a whole and Tom can be a lil moody bitch. 

Seriously I'll stop talking about this book soon. 

• Like 1

That Kimmel stuff was def from a long time ago, I remember them saying they were recording it and looked forward to watching it but days turned into months and I eventually forgot about it...until now.

You can also tell by Trav’s goatee, which he has thankfully ditched lol.

I know that Laura married Heather Hannoura (I guess she's now still Heather Gabel) who is Alkaline Trio's merch designer. She also dated the first drummer Glenn. Maybe there is some beeeeeeeef?

2 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

I know that Laura married Heather Hannoura (I guess she's now still Heather Gabel) who is Alkaline Trio's merch designer. She also dated the first drummer Glenn. Maybe there is some beeeeeeeef?

to make matters easier i'm just gonna copy from the book - 

It turned out Heather was still halfway through a breakup with her ex back in Oakland, a guy named Smith. Smith was close friends with the members of Alkaline Trio and was roommates with their tour manager, Nolan. So out of solidarity to Smith, neither the band nor their crew took kindly to me spending so much time with her. Nolan would pull childish crap with us in retaliation, withholding the food and beer guaranteed in our rider, or shifting our set times around last minute as a power move.

"You have to go on an hour early tonight, right when doors open, because all of the band and crew want to get to our hotel early" he told us once. I wasn't having any of it. "No, you dumb fuck" I said, waving our contract in his face "It says right here that our set time is an hour after doors open". 

Before one show in New York, Nolan got physical with Jordan who was tour managering us at the time, over our set time, shoving him to the ground. Jordan is tall and physically imposing but he doesn't have a mean bone in his body. He's a total teddy bear. After I found out about the incident, I made it a point to call Nolan out on stage that night. 

Nolan used to hide behind Alkaline Trio's amplifiers during their set and play a second guitar part along to their songs to fill in the sound, a move I thought was infinitely lame and unpunk. So I told the audience to "be sure and give an extra round of applause to Nolan, the hidden guitar player behind Alkaline Trio's amps. He's been a little grumpy lately and needs the attention!"

Alkaline Trio's frontman, Matt Skiba, didn't like this and, armed with a crew behind him, he found me backstage after our set and told me his boys were going to beat my ass. None of my bandmates came to my defense, but our manager Tom Sarig got right up in Skiba's face.

"Fuck you, you fucking fuck, I will end you if you so much as breathe wrong on my artist". 

Skiba backed down, but after that show, not one person from Alkaline Trio or their crew said a single word to me or even looked at me for the rest of the tour. Any working relationship I had with them was destroyed, but it only forced me and Heather closer. She told me she loved the way I stood up for myself, and that I was right in thinking Nolan was an asshole.

Not all her parts about other bands are negative, btw, but both the alk3 and blink ones aren't fabulous haha

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

lol. can you post the blink ones?

the only thing she said about blink is basically what I said before, it was super vague. just that they didnt come out of their dressing rooms and that she liked them, literally it. 

8 hours ago, Bucko said:

Anybody know who this is?

That is fake as fuck, but this other one sounds like they were working in some ideas just after Untitled. As far as we are concerned, this one never got any definitive shape:

1 hour ago, Kay said:

to make matters easier i'm just gonna copy from the book - 

Not all her parts about other bands are negative, btw, but both the alk3 and blink ones aren't fabulous haha

Thanks for sharing this. Pretty interesting stuff.

I'm not on anyone's side, but the way Laura, at that point, just showed the dirty laundry in public, onstage, as a kind of revenge for what Nolan did backstage or even before any audience was there... doesn't look fair to me. If you have any problem backstage with  someone, no matter who, just go and solve it backstage, don't go and make a kind of semi-hide passive-agressive stab-joke out there.

On the other side, although I can understand Matt going nuts, I always had the feeling that he had a bad and easy to trigger side (maybe influenced by his heavy drinking back in the day).

Well, I guess we all are humans.