The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

6 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

That old guy sounds like Will Forte doing an old an impression. 

He also cried while listening to 'the boy who blocked his own shot' by brand new and a few my chemical romance songs. He's awesome because they keep suggesting him alternative music he's never heard of and he genuinely enjoys it. 

On 3/9/2018 at 8:40 AM, Ghent said:

I think California is better than Neighborhoods, Cheshire Cat, and a little better than TOYPAJ as a whole. I love the sound on TOYPAJ and it has some gems, but damn its ruined by some stinkers and cringers.

I agree TOYPAJ has some bad tracks. I still enjoy every track outside of First Date, Happy Holidays, Stay Together for the Kids, and Shut Up. It's a juvenile album for sure, but the production is awesome and it still has plenty of great hooks and it was Travis' coming out party for his creative drumming.  

Putting aside all of my issues with California relating to lyrics and songs, one thing I can never get over is the production. What happened to the punchy, clear sound of Travis' drums? I'm baffled by how bad they sound on it. Also not a fan of the plastic, uninspired guitar riffs (this is equally on Feldman and Skiba for not coming up with better stuff). If they went a different direction with the production, California comes close to TOYPAJ for me. 

Speaking of TOYPAJ - does anyone remember a story that popped up around the time of release where someone was claiming they came up with the album title? I don't recall exactly what happened, but Blink claimed their tour manager or someone (named Larry I believe) came up with it? Not sure if it was ever litigated. I have this hazy story in my head that I recall happening at the time. 

1 hour ago, Kvothe said:

Speaking of TOYPAJ - does anyone remember a story that popped up around the time of release where someone was claiming they came up with the album title? I don't recall exactly what happened, but Blink claimed their tour manager or someone (named Larry I believe) came up with it? Not sure if it was ever litigated. I have this hazy story in my head that I recall happening at the time. 

https://www.webcitation.org/6ERJBgvgo?url=http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2011/sep/14/blurt1/

• Like 1

Really? I've always thought Don't Tell Me That It's Over is one of the laziest, paint by numbers, shite blink song to exist. I'd put it below most of California. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kay said:

Really? I've always thought Don't Tell Me That It's Over is one of the laziest, paint by numbers, shite blink song to exist. I'd put it below most of California. 

Yeah but it's a fucking great song.

• Like 2

I'm not the biggest fan of that song but the riff is great. Instrumentally, TOYPAJ is brilliant. From the intro of Anthem Part Two, the Cure vibe intro of Story of a Lonely Guy, the riff of STFTK, breakdown of Everytime I Look For you, literally every song on it just sounds great. Just I don't like the lyrics of it. Enema of the State is just as immature, but Enema does it well. I can listen to that album and not cringe. Can't do that with TOYPAJ or California. 

As for STFTK, I don't mind the lyrics of that. Didn't they say that Tom wrote it when he was younger? It's a natural song and it's one of the songs where you can tell Tom truly enjoyed playing live after the reunion. It's a song he's definitely proud of and even talks about it still to this day. The best is What Went Wrong though IMO. Love that song to death.

• Like 1

Yeah I think musically it stands out more than some of the others, riffs are simpler than Dude Ranch but catchier, its 'raunchier' than Enema, has more depth in instrumentation and dynamic choices. Apart from some cringe lines and silly meanings, its actually really solid.

• Like 1

Man i dont know how you guys can not like it that much. 

Online songs - so good

story of a lonely guy - great bridge

the rock show - one of their most underrated singles even though its one of their biggest

rollercoaster - one of the best

reckless abandon - kinda jouvenile but still fun

everytime i look for you - i think my fav blink songs

shut up - i love that riff and chord prog

please take me home - another great song

• Like 1

TOYPAJ is probably my second favorite blink album. So good. I feel like every song on the album could have been a single (aside from stuff like Happy Holidays and probably Shut Up just because it'd have to be edited like crazy for radio).

Online Songs and Shut Up are easily two of my favorite blink songs of all time. I think the whole album is great.

Didn't know people hated STFTK. I always liked it. Then a few years back when my parents got divorced it became one of my favorite songs ever. The lyrics are more relatable to me than a lot of other blink songs.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kay said:

At least that song doesn't pretend to be anything but a simple pop-punk song, unlike the forced expletives and "edginess" of songs like Shut Up, STFTK & GMOGR.

i like TOYPAJ...online songs has grown on me over the years, and it’s got some strong deep cuts like every time i look for you, shut up, and roller coaster. the only thing that leads me to declaring my least fav of classic era blink is the plethora of teenage songs. i like first date and all, but give me one good reason, anthem part 2, STFTK are among my least favorites across the whol catalogue, mainly because of how stupid the lyrics are