The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

14 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Because that thread was linked to a twitter post right below the one that ended up getting 36,000 views on twitter. i found it embarrassing and deleted my thread and the tweet linking to it.

I understand the potential backlash or lost potential for the board with that link, but in the same breath you also deleted a lot of posts by a lot of members - which is something you came down hard on Herpes Boy for.

I don't necessarily think that's hypocritical as the circumstances are very different, but I imagine others may feel differently.

Would it be a good idea to 'restart' the thread about the studio, without the whole board-new-members discussion involved? 

alternatively you could have just deleted the tweet and split the topic into two, leaving the studio related discussion as is. 

• Like 3

That, or just have a clear set of policies about the boards and its use. If not, there's an important chance to take random decissions about deleting posts or threads, just because someone feels it embarrasing, being that a personal opinion.

As pointed above, deleting the Tweet would be enough in case there's any reason to feel embarassed...

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree, deleting the tweet was the only thing that should've been done. There was an important discussion going on in there about how to bring new members to the boards. I think it's important to show that we're conscious of the culture that we've created here and want to fix it. Deleting the thread removes that.

edit: words

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ghost said:

That, or just have a clear set of policies about the boards and its use. If not, there's an important chance to take random decissions about deleting posts or threads, just because someone feels it embarrasing, being that a personal opinion.

As pointed above, deleting the Tweet would be enough in case there's any reason to feel embarassed...

That would be difficult.

I think it comes down to @Ghent and @Olidamus coming to a consensus on what they want blink-182online to become. If they want to pull in newer members and encourage more respectful discussion then maybe implementing something like actual rules would be a good unifying way of doing so.

However, they both are fans of the legacy of this board - and that legacy is frankly a free for all of insults, practical jokes and in some cases bullying. if they want to not 'censor' people, and keep this place true to it's roots, then they'll have to sacrifice potential new members to do so.

as the owners that's up to them. As the current culture stands, Ghent locking the safe space thread and then deleting the studio thread makes him look like the person we all know he both isn't and also doesn't want to be (i.e. "power mad" as people here like to say). but without that decision and discussion between them in place we're stuck in a sort of limbo. 

If they're wanting our feedback and input, then maybe we need a thread in the development section that's locked to users with >1000 posts or something, so we can discuss together a best course of action without potentially alienating any n00bs. 

Personally I think if this place is to survive it needs new life, and that encouraging some gentle respect amongst members isn't a bad thing. but severity of said rules is going to be the issue as too harsh will be just as bad for the board - and I also think I'm mostly alone in this opinion and the majority of major posters will be against it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Olidamus said:

As a guitarist myself, they aren't the same, but it's the same concept each time. Have a lower note that moves around while picking the same two upper notes (if that makes sense)

Agreed, and one thing to keep in mind is that a lot of these DLX songs that have this same guitar "part" were never meant to see the light of day. If you listen to original California, it's not very repetitive at all IMO. In fact they do a great job of covering all the bases from ballads/experimental/pop punk/etc. SOOHM/BTD are the only ones with this similar riff, but when you hear Misery/DMA/Wildfire/LLF all of a sudden it's a lot more annoying.

Skiba admitted he felt basically like a ghost writer coming in, and we already know Feldy said their original stuff was "too Alk3 sounding", so he probably just went along with whatever Feldy said was "Blink". I really hope he feels at home in Blink now after 3 years and can do his own thing on the next Blink album. We shall see.

Trying to attract new members now is pretty pointless, your best bet is to have a push when the next album cycle gets in full swing.

All you've done is just delete a load of peoples opinions (who have posted here for years) in the hope you can attract a couple new members who probably won't even post, shit move. 

• Like 3

Wel, I understand what you mean. It would be hard to make, maybe, a detailed kind of terms and conditions thing (and well, I guess no one wants that, to be fair), but it can be easy if it's done in general terms (respect, order, not derailing threads as hell...). I mean, I don't see any problem on writing any post if that message comes with respect. Any opinion should be respected if it doesn't offend anyone ot gets personal. Of course, ad hominem attacks should be instantly corrected, and maybe some radical derailed ones too. But I didn't see any lack of respect on that thread, and not a strong derail of it.

The problem with this thread being deleted is that it only responds to what a person, in this case, felt about it. So, if you don't have a code behind that -so to say-, and you only rely your decission on a feeling, then you're making that decission because you're in a position in which you can make it happen.

5 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Wel, I understand what you mean. It would be hard to make, maybe, a detailed kind of terms and conditions thing (and well, I guess no one wants that, to be fair), but it can be easy if it's done in general terms (respect, order, not derailing threads as hell...). I mean, I don't see any problem on writing any post if that message comes with respect. Any opinion should be respected if it doesn't offend anyone ot gets personal. Of course, ad hominem attacks should be instantly corrected, and maybe some radical derailed ones too. But I didn't see any lack of respect on that thread, and not a strong derail of it.

The problem with this thread being deleted is that it only responds to what a person, in this case, felt about it. So, if you don't have a code behind that -so to say-, and you only rely your decission on a feeling, then you're making that decission because you're in a position in which you can make it happen.

I agree, there was no real mud slinging - just strong opinions sprinkled with a bit of banter and friendly piss taking here and there. It was also a very active thread with a lot of people getting involved with differing opinions. Not sure what's embarrassing about that? in fact I think it's a pretty fair representation of what this forum is about. 

Unless we're trying to trick new members into thinking we're something we're not, which would be pretty lame. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

The thread was a shit show, and having it tweeted 35K times does kind of make us look bad. Not even talking about new members, but it general. Think the Sasha fake interview.

But this was not the right move.

I am sorry that it was removed.

Yeah but it also drove conversation and activity and, frankly, still is.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kay said:

Personally I think if this place is to survive it needs new life, and that encouraging some gentle respect amongst members isn't a bad thing. but severity of said rules is going to be the issue as too harsh will be just as bad for the board - and I also think I'm mostly alone in this opinion and the majority of major posters will be against it. 

I agree. If someone new comes in and shares good opinions (positive or negative) and isn't just trolling or something, they shouldn't be met with name calling and trolling and just general shittiness. I don't think that happens very often anymore (maybe because new people barely ever show up) but if the goal is to have more new people then we shouldn't act like a pack of lunatics toward anyone who dares to enter haha.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Champ182 said:

I agree. If someone new comes in and shares good opinions (positive or negative) and isn't just trolling or something, they shouldn't be met with name calling and trolling and just general shittiness. I don't think that happens very often anymore (maybe because new people barely ever show up) but if the goal is to have more new people then we shouldn't act like a pack of lunatics toward anyone who dares to enter haha.

With the exception of people who sign up to hock shit, fuck those guys.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

I agree, there was no real mud slinging - just opinions sprinkled with a bit of banter and friendly piss taking here and there. It was also a very active thread with a lot of people getting involved with differing opinions. Not sure what's embarrassing about that? in fact I think it's a pretty fair representation of what this forum is about. 

Unless we're trying to trick new members into thinking we're something we're not, which would be pretty lame. 

Yeah I really don't know what was embarrassing about that thread at all. If anything it showed this board has life even in the middle of some serious down time. I wonder if personal feelings get confused with "business decisions" when the people who run the board are also some of the most active posters. Hard to separate things like that. As someone who used to be a member of a few other thriving band message boards, I neverrrr saw things get deleted or locked just for being spirited debates. Mods on other boards didn't use editorial power other than enforcing rules and people understood that the main thing that creates a good message board is activity, not one-sided opinions. I also never saw such strict corralling of conversation like not allowing new threads to be posted and trying to keep all discussion within predetermined areas, but that's another topic and just how this place works I guess haha. 

This isn't a diss on Ghent or any mods because those guys obviously generate a ton of good discussions here, but it might be a good idea to separate their personal opinions from board oversight type stuff a little more.

• Like 2

Just now, Champ182 said:

Yeah I really don't know what was embarrassing about that thread at all. If anything it showed this board has life even in the middle of some serious down time. I wonder if personal feelings get confused with "business decisions" when the people who run the board are also some of the most active posters. Hard to separate things like that. As someone who used to be a member of a few other thriving band message boards, I neverrrr saw things get deleted just for being spirited debates. Mods on other boards didn't use editorial power other than enforcing rules and people understood that the main thing that creates a good message board is activity, not one-sided opinions.

This isn't a diss on Ghent or any mods because those guys obviously generate a ton of good discussions here, but it might be a good idea to separate their personal opinions from board oversight type stuff a little more.

Yeah, I'm on this boat too. Not against anyone, just observing the decission.

Administrating a forum and moderating it it's a HARD thing to do, so I guess we understand that. I get this as an opportunity to rebuild the spirit of a grerat place. I'm sure it will turn out all good.

• Like 2

There is nothing wrong with going back and forth on Cali/Feldy/Tom all day as long as it is somewhat respectful and in the correct thread IMO. Yes, it may get tiring to those who are here every day but when the band isn't doing much there isn't much else to talk about. New people will want to jump in that and have a voice either way.

The only thing that could use improvement is keeping dedicated threads somewhat on topic (so for example the Blink Hittin The Studio thread should've been split off into a new thread or a moderator could step in and tell people to move it to a new thread once it was derailed). The other as I have mentioned, is just basic common courtesy towards other people and particularly new people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olidamus said:

The thread was a shit show, and having it tweeted 35K times does kind of make us look bad. Not even talking about new members, but it general. Think the Sasha fake interview.

But this was not the right move.

I am sorry that it was removed.

Wait what thread was tweeted 35k Times? What the hell did I miss?