The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

13 hours ago, Ghent said:

Last I heard California has outsold Neighborhoods already. Pretty amazing accomplishment considering how much raw hype was behind new blink music after the reunion. And then factor in that they lost their lead singer/main songwriter... 

A total homerun scenario. Mark and Travis deserved it after all the shit they went through

Cali has done well tbf considering mainstream rock music is pretty much dead. If it was released early 00s it probably would of sold millions

Ghost on the Dancefloor couldve been great BUT, while its one of my favs, it does have problems for radio. As someone said its too long. The riff is amazing, the verses are great but the chorus kinda is a let down and the first half of the bridge is lams and then back into that boring chorus for an outro. What couldve been. 

After Midnight couldve been great. Lots of crossover to more poppier radio stations I think. The whole neighbourhoods thing was so poorly marketed. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Cali has done well tbf considering mainstream rock music is pretty much dead. If it was released early 00s it probably would of sold millions

Idk, pop punk, mainstream rock was better back then and more successful bands.

Would of faded into the background like most of them did.

Neighborhoods turned out to be a pretty good record... but I can't help but feel like it (and the whole era, really) had a bit of wasted potential. You can kinda tell throughout the songs just how disjointed the whole thing was - recording in separate studios, band chemistry not really flowing, etc. I suppose we should be thankful that we got a Mark Tom & Travis reunion at all, but it's frustrating to think what could've been if they were all on the same page. I honestly still think that the three of them could make an album on the level of the classics (if Tom ever comes back). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nshesaid said:

Yeah even if she falls is arguably the worst track.

I don't think it really matters though, none of Blinks singles outside Rock Show, First Date, were conventional or pandering.. They always MADE the hits.

Feeling this, I miss you, Josie, Adams Song, etc all pretty unique or different.  Up all night just kind of lacked energy, could have picked any other.  That said, I'll never forget listening to Neighborhoods every single day.  It was a bit depressing for whatever reason but it was very them at the time. Then DED came out.. It wasn't prime blink but it was still very very interesting and engaging to listen to.

I think UAN lacked a catchy chorus. "And all these demons, they keep me up all night" is not a memorable or fun chorus for people to sing to.

4 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Never understood the hype of Even If She Falls on these boards. Apart from the riff, the song offers nothing IMO. Just the standard generic AVA track outside the riff. I find the lyrics a bit crap as well.

Ghost on the Dance Floor could've made a decent single choice if it wasn't 4 minutes long. That riff is catchy as hell. Love the song to death even if it is a bit repetitive. But I'd never choose it as the lead single. Also wish the guitars weren't cluttered in so much synth. Can barely hear fuck all in the chorus and the bridge. But I still like the song.

After Midnight I felt had so much potential. Lyrically it's fine, it's poppy but in a good way and not in a forced way. The only thing I don't like about that song is that it's kinda boring. The live performances from 2011 before the release of it made me think this was gonna be some stadium rock song. The bridge sounded huge but obviously Tom improvises. The other problem with the song was it had no marketing. Neighborhoods had no marketing at all. The only reason that sold as much as it did was just simply based on blink's past reputation. People heard the song Up All Night and probably thought "wtf?". Good song, but a bit weird for a single choice.

I think Wishing Well would've made a nice single. It's catchy. Whenever I've played the Neighborhoods album or some of the songs to more casual listeners/non-blink fans, it seems that they remember Wishing Well more than anything. My damn mother even sings along to the song and she hates it when blink is on probably cause of me (she also sings along to Bottom of the Ocean and Last Train Home from California too haha).

Kaleidoscope is probably too depressing/moody sounding to be a single. I know I Miss You was a massive hit but that still had the poppy melodies in the chorus. But then again, blink themselves were surprised that I Miss You was a hit.

Every other song is too aggressive, fast or whatever to be big hits IMO. Or maybe too experimental. That said, I think Fighting the Gravity could've been huge the way I Miss You was. Like as the second or third single or something.

I don't like the riff much at all, it just sounds like a SOALG ripoff. I really love the rest of it and just the general feel of the song though and even Travis's drums (which i rarely do after self-titled)

16 hours ago, Ghent said:

BTD majorly outperformed UAN on the radio

This is not true. UAN got to number 3 and even had success on the top 100. 

It's a miracle considering the label situation. Just shows how good of a song it is. 

23 hours ago, Olidamus said:

As much hate as California gets; I honestly think it has the potential to get a hell of a lot worse.

I do too, which sucks. But I also think it has the potential to get a lot better. So I'm gonna hang on to hope for this next record. I've always said I think the second album with this new lineup has the potential to be much better than the first. I hope I'm right, but I also know that it could just keep getting worse.

3 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

This is not true. UAN got to number 3 and even had success on the top 100. 

It's a miracle considering the label situation. Just shows how good of a song it is. 

I love UAN, but BTD performed much better overall on the radio

I just assumed we were talking Alt charts from the start, as both of the songs flopped on Top100/hits radio. 

I’ve barely heard any blink song besides ATST on a pop/hits radio station in the last 10 years or so

5 hours ago, Speedo said:

Man, you just zig and zag, dip and dodge that California love right up there,  huh?! 

Square pegs in round holes with fit if you hammer them! 

This. 

I understand you're in the minority with your Love for California Ghent so you feel the need to defend it profusely but your arguments lack credibility when you have nothing to back them up. 

6 hours ago, epitaphellcat said:

a properly produced hearts all gone w tom playing guitar and singing in the verses i think would have been the best comeback from hiatus.  

Yeh had hearts all gone on today and loved it ...had up all night on and it kind of goes flat when the chorus kicks in 

• Like 1