The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

4 hours ago, daveyjones said:

panic stations took me a minute, but once i crawled inside the production and realized it's sort of motion city's in utero, it settled for me.

Last Night / Hold Me Down / The Weakends / The Worst Part are all top notch. and yes, sort of the heavier mid-tempo wall of sound they do. in that same vein, off the deluxe version of go, Floating down the River / Bottom Feeder / Give Up-Give In are fantastic.

have you heard farewell continental? one of justin's side bands. their album Hey, Hey Pioneers! is EPIC. picture MCS with a female vocalist singing call-and-return style with justin.

Yeah - I'm not as fond of Farewell Continental but they're fun. I'll give Panic Stations another shot.

6 hours ago, Mau5 said:

Maybe I should try with Motion again, but the lead singer's voice just annoyed me too much. It was too high-pitched for my liking. 

Felt the same about Yellowcard. Liked Ocean Avenue when I was 14 or 15, didn't hear it for a decade or so, heard a few songs recently and Ryan sounded so damn whiney. It's weird, it's still decent music but didn't age with my tastes.

9 hours ago, Kay said:

Yeah - I'm not as fond of Farewell Continental but they're fun. I'll give Panic Stations another shot.

i need to as well, but last time i heard it it was definitely just a 3/5 for me...uninspired in a lot of areas, worthwhile in others (tko, days will run away, broken arrow). i think the production does set it apart though, and it’s an interesting addendum to their discography 

Mark was on a podcast yesterday, very interesting if you've got 2 hours to blow and want to skip through some ads/songs. 

https://secure-hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/a/d/5/ad51b7a7bf66004c/JR118_Just_A_Kid_From_Ridgecrest_CA.mp3?c_id=20322014&expiration=1523472527&hwt=76566e8b350dd353abdec82e0968d9f4

Here are the highlights:

-Currently has 4 houses, doesn’t live in any. (Idaho, London, San Diego, Beverly Hills)

-First punk rock song he heard and liked "Silly Girl" Descendants, 1988 gf showed him

-"We were very DYI coming up in San Diego through a small club called SOMA. I was literally driving around to record stores dropping off our demos once a week, getting tapes made, going to Kinko’s and photocopying covers. So when we got signed to an Indie label it was like “Wait, so we don’t have to do this stuff all ourselves?”"

-Only reason they got signed is because the owner of a label’s son liked them and kept putting their demo in his dad’s car stereo

-They started getting more shows and he started doing poorly in college because he was missing full weeks, and his mom said “You only get once chance to be in a band. You can always go back to college”

-Dad was pretty supportive but he doesn’t think he quite “got it” until Blink played Leno in 1999

-"We never felt like we were these “artists” on stage and you come to see us perform. Blink has always been this thing we’re all apart of."

-Produced “Paused” band. “If I’m producing a band I want them to sound good, but I want them to sound like themselves."

01:04:00 first mention of new lineup “Supergroup”

-“When Tom left again we had these shows booked, Travis and I didn’t want to cancel. We went to Matt, he was the only person we went to."

-“It’s such a humbling thing for after 10 years of drama to have people chanting SKIBA and to be so accepting of Blink in whatever lineup, and for California to do as well as it did. It’s just really cool.”

“The really cool thing is we go play shows and we’ll play songs that were popular in their day and people are like mehhh, and then we play California tracks and people go NUTS”

-"When Travis joined that’s where Blink really made a turn and that’s where I really feel like Blink found it’s sound."

-Mumford and Sons are giant Blink-182 fans

-"The day that I moved to San Diego I went to Tom’s house, we met each other, and we started writing music that night. The beginnings of Carousel,  the first song we ever wrote together."

1:36:00 Asking about what got in the way with Tom

-"Life just happens, think about when you’re in high school, and think about who you’re friends with now… how many people are you close to from 25 years ago? Different interests, different paths, there’s no hard feelings."

-"I understand all the feelings/posts, from the fans, I would feel the same myself. Even 40  years later I think, “Why did Paul and John not get along? You’re the Beatles how do you not figure it out guys?!”"

-"Tension makes good music, but you can have that tension without drama, or fighting with people."

-"I no longer drink before shows. I want to be just me, if I miss a note, it’s all me. When I play a show I want to do the best I can do."

-Currently listening to “Slotface”, Scandinavian punk rock band

-Justin Timberlake was most flattered on ASTS video, he loved it.

-"I feel like Blink is the last of the “CD/Download/Napster” era that made it through and is still going. We’ve been very lucky. The whole scene we came out of has so many amazing bands/songwriters that just didn’t get to shine."

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Mark was on a podcast yesterday, very interesting if you've got 2 hours to blow and want to skip through some ads/songs. 

https://secure-hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/a/d/5/ad51b7a7bf66004c/JR118_Just_A_Kid_From_Ridgecrest_CA.mp3?c_id=20322014&expiration=1523472527&hwt=76566e8b350dd353abdec82e0968d9f4

Here are the highlights:

-Produced “Paused” band. “If I’m producing a band I want them to sound good, but I want them to sound like themselves."

Please produce the next Blink album Mark. 

36 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

“The really cool thing is we go play shows and we’ll play songs that were popular in their day and people are like mehhh, and then we play California tracks and people go NUTS”

The last blink show I went to was like this. Was awesome to see!

On 8/4/2018 at 4:48 AM, daveyjones said:

panic stations took me a minute, but once i crawled inside the production and realized it's sort of motion city's in utero, it settled for me.

Last Night / Hold Me Down / The Weakends / The Worst Part are all top notch. and yes, sort of the heavier mid-tempo wall of sound they do. in that same vein, off the deluxe version of go, Floating down the River / Bottom Feeder / Give Up-Give In are fantastic.

have you heard farewell continental? one of justin's side bands. their album Hey, Hey Pioneers! is EPIC. picture MCS with a female vocalist singing call-and-return style with justin.

INDEED

2 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

The last blink show I went to were crickets for California songs outside of BTD, which got a modest pop. Whatever Mark has to tell himself to sleep at night. WMAA got the biggest pop of the night.

I have a hard time believing this.  California songs were a hit in the OKC, KC, Dallas, and St. Louis shows I went to during their last touring cycle.  

The second Up All Night came on half the crowd either went to sleep or went to go buy another beer/piss.