The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

But in all seriousness, I think it died after The White Stripes had their run. Not to say there haven’t been great rock bands since then, but sadly it’s not scaling the charts or anything. 

2 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

I think it's kind of strange to say that considering blink 182's peak was around 1997-03 and so many great bands came out then and still do.

I don't consider Blink Rock N Roll in any way?  I mean like the long standing form of Rock N Roll.  The Zeppelins, Aerosmiths, ACDC, Iron Maiden, Rolling Stones.   

You know catchy songs, distorted guitar, with a solo and some 8 minute balads.

Turned into intro verse chorus verse chorus occasional bridge.  I loved Nirvana but they definitely opened that door and closed the traditional rock n roll one imo.

Blink & Green Day were pop punk, their own thing.  The best thing..

1 hour ago, Speedo's Edge said:

I don't consider Blink Rock N Roll in any way?  I mean like the long standing form of Rock N Roll.  The Zeppelins, Aerosmiths, ACDC, Iron Maiden, Rolling Stones.   

You know catchy songs, distorted guitar, with a solo and some 8 minute balads.

Turned into intro verse chorus verse chorus occasional bridge.  I loved Nirvana but they definitely opened that door and closed the traditional rock n roll one imo.

Blink & Green Day were pop punk, their own thing.  The best thing..

I definitely don't consider those bands Rock 'n' Roll

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-7-words-podcast/id1340666372?mt=2&i=1000405705499

skinhead rob interview/podcast around the 20min mark he brings up “people in certain camps pressuring him to play when can he play after the plane crash/would get mad at him for not flying to australia” found it intriguing thought some of you might as well...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Elisa said:

I agree, the last hurrah were The Strokes, The Libertines and The White Stripes in the early-to-mid 2000s. Afterwards, EDM and self-aggrandisement replaced everything that was supposed to be rock. The only guitar music left that isn't indie/garage is unpalatable to most people (punk, emo, hardcore, metal)

Yeah, at least in the mainstream. Lately, bands such The Vaccines on their first album did something interesting which connected with an old rock 'n' roll vibe.

Fortunately, on the non mainstream side of things, there are bands which are still into rock 'n' roll and blues, but they are hard to find, unless you're really into your local scene, digging the shit out of it and following all the threads. Recently, I also found a local band here in Spain which does Doo-Wop. Crazy. On the internet? Forget about it, it all is been predated by majors. The control they are taking over streaming services is absolutely nauseous.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, epitaphellcat said:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-7-words-podcast/id1340666372?mt=2&i=1000405705499

skinhead rob interview/podcast around the 20min mark he brings up “people in certain camps pressuring him to play when can he play after the plane crash/would get mad at him for not flying to australia” found it intriguing thought some of you might as well...

Hmm wonder if that was Tom, Mark, or both... or just the entire Blink camp.

Travis decided not to go after the shows were announced and tickets were sold. I don’t have sympathy for him and can understand why people got mad. He agreed to do it and then didn’t. It’s fine if he’s not ready and wants to bail, but he has to own that people would be losing a lot of money causing them to be mad, not just rich people roadies and average paid workers too, and letting down fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I can't believe I'm actually more excited for new AVA than for new blink. Is it just me?

I have zero interest in either, does that help? I would be excited for a new AVA release but if it's going to be old style WDNTW AVA than count me out. I'd actually rather another 4 track EP of Tom pissing about with Ilan fixing it. 

6 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I can't believe I'm actually more excited for new AVA than for new blink. Is it just me?

I'll be shocked if AVA actually releases anything at all within 3 years. I've never really liked that band but I do admit I'm really curious to see what Tom would come out with as a sort of "response" to California. 

• Like 1