The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

25 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Cool to see that "I never found that special girl, who'd be there waiting at the airport terminal" was supposed to be the original line of the second verse.

nice catch — i couldn’t make out his handwriting for shit lol. a rolling stone story from 2000 specifically mentions an airport:

"Adam's Song," Blink's current single, is a suicide note set to music, but Hoppus says he wrote it about being lonely on tour. The couplet "I couldn't wait till I got home/To pass the time in my room alone" originally ended "to get off the plane alone."

"Tom and Travis always had girlfriends waiting back home, so they had something to look forward to at the end of the tour," Hoppus explains. "But I didn't, so I was lonely on tour. But then I got home and it didn't matter, because there was nothing there for me anyway."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, boxelder said:

nice catch — i couldn’t make out his handwriting for shit lol. a rolling stone story from 2000 specifically mentions an airport:

"Adam's Song," Blink's current single, is a suicide note set to music, but Hoppus says he wrote it about being lonely on tour. The couplet "I couldn't wait till I got home/To pass the time in my room alone" originally ended "to get off the plane alone."

"Tom and Travis always had girlfriends waiting back home, so they had something to look forward to at the end of the tour," Hoppus explains. "But I didn't, so I was lonely on tour. But then I got home and it didn't matter, because there was nothing there for me anyway."

Pretty cool. I don't know why, but I always thought they knew someone named Adam who committed suicide.

I think it's a bit of both. It started out as a song about loneliness but I guess I prefer the fact that they changed those lyrics about the girl to focus on the suicidal aspect of depression.

What I like the most of Adam's Song - and that I didn't understand when I was younger - is how it deals with recovering from mental illness. The last chorus is all about survival but the fact that Mark says he still wants to pass the time in his room alone is very relatable and real because when you're recovering from suicidal thoughts it isn't a flip from wanting to kill yourself to an explosion of happiness. It's more like wanting to kill yourself less and less until one day you just think "I haven't thought about killing myself in a while", and I think Mark captured an essential part of the problem that is usually ignored in music.. like all the songs that say two minutes ago I wanted to kill myself but now I'm happy!! It doesn't work like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scott. said:

Anyone’s else consider Elevator a Blink song. Mark and toms vocals are so good. Song is a fucking jam

Man. You're gonna make me listen to the damn song. Been a while since I've listened to that great song. Also has a kick ass woah unlike the woahs of California.

• Like 3

Man that sucks about Trav, that's serious stuff. This was the weekend I looked at going to in Vegas a few weeks back, glad I didn't book it!

5 hours ago, Scott. said:

Anyone’s else consider Elevator a Blink song. Mark and toms vocals are so good. Song is a fucking jam

Every time I listen to that I think, "So this is like 100% totally Blink, but not Blink?" such an odd thing when you think about it, but yes I love that song!

• Like 2