The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

So I have this huge "Blinkish" playlist which is all the albums not including the tracks I don't like (so basically all of California and a few others) the +44 record, the BCR record, and the bits and bobs of AVA that I like. and like the one Tom solo song I like.

I don't actively listen to blink much at all anymore, and this week I decided to throw that playlist on for my journeying back and forth to work. What was interesting to me was how often I skipped tracks from TOYPAJ, Enema, +44 and Neighborhoods but purposely played tracks from Chesire, dude ranch, BCR and Untitled.

I've always put Untitled and Chesire quite low on my top blink records list and have always assumed TOYPAJ was one of my ultimate faves but I think it's more nostalgia based than active listening now. 

it's interesting. Dude Ranch and BCR have always been big favourites of mine though and clearly always will. "There Is" still wrecks me, every time I hear it I'm instantly some teenage kid with a hardcore crush and it's like "damn son, my heart!" 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Kay said:

So I have this huge "Blinkish" playlist which is all the albums not including the tracks I don't like (so basically all of California and a few others) the +44 record, the BCR record, and the bits and bobs of AVA that I like. and like the one Tom solo song I like.

I don't actively listen to blink much at all anymore, and this week I decided to throw that playlist on for my journeying back and forth to work. What was interesting to me was how often I skipped tracks from TOYPAJ, Enema, +44 and Neighborhoods but purposely played tracks from Chesire, dude ranch, BCR and Untitled.

I've always put Untitled and Chesire quite low on my top blink records list and have always assumed TOYPAJ was one of my ultimate faves but I think it's more nostalgia based than active listening now. 

it's interesting. Dude Ranch and BCR have always been big favourites of mine though and clearly always will. "There Is" still wrecks me, every time I hear it I'm instantly some teenage kid with a hardcore crush and it's like "damn son, my heart!" 

Tom really caught something about young love angst in that song. Great lyrics and there's an honestly there that isn't in any of his later works. I love the line "the days have come and gone/our lives went by so fast"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, horchata said:

Elevator is one of the best songs either of them ever did.

Agree. And it reminds me to STFTK in terms of dynamics. Which, at the same time, reminds me to Nirvana in those same terms.

That's an old feeling I've always had since I listened that song back in the day. I always though blink had a subtle Nirvana influence, which showed in very rare moments. As I say, STFTK has that feeling to me. I know they are different bands and different songs, but the way blink plays with dynamics in that song (quieter-harder-quieter-harder) reminds me a lot to the structure and dynamis of songs like Heart Shaped Box.

And Elevator has the same feeling to me.

It makes sense to me. Tom was trying to incorporate some post-hardcore influence to blink's sound in that period (which he previosly 'practiced' on BCR), and Nirvana had that same influences too, amongs others.

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Agree. And it reminds me to STFTK in terms of dynamics. Which, at the same time, reminds me to Nirvana in those same terms.

That's an old feeling I've always had since I listened that song back in the day. I always though blink had a subtle Nirvana influence, which showed in very rare moments. As I say, STFTK has that feeling to me. I know they are different bands and different songs, but the way blink plays with dynamics in that song (quieter-harder-quieter-harder) reminds me a lot to the structure and dynamis of songs like Heart Shaped Box.

And Elevator has the same feeling to me.

It makes sense to me. Tom was trying to incorporate some post-hardcore influence to blink's sound in that period (which he previosly 'practiced' on BCR), and Nirvana had that same influences too, amongs others.

Yeah, you know, in a weird way I can see the Nirvana to Blink comparison. I think it's mostly in angst. Blink songs (pre california) were always full of angst and rebellion which was translated in the music. Elevator is a good example of that.

29 minutes ago, horchata said:

Hate to be generic, but I think Nevermind is one of the greatest albums of all time.

I think it is too. Probably a 9/10 for me. A lot of the songs are just classics. I'm more attached to Nevermind than I am to In utero, so maybe that's why I like it more.

I think anyone who goes out of their way to hate Nevermind is just trying to be edgy, lol.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nasa said:

I think it is too. Probably a 9/10 for me. A lot of the songs are just classics. I'm more attached to Nevermind than I am to In utero, so maybe that's why I like it more.

I think anyone who goes out of their way to hate Nevermind is just trying to be edgy, lol.

Yep. It's the most popular Nirvana album I think, but for good reason. I can't get into all of their stuff, but Nevermind and Bleach are so great.

11 minutes ago, Nasa said:

For some reason I knew this would be your answer!

Well, to be fair, I love the three records (five if we count Incesticide and Unplugged), and sometimes it depends on the mood. Nevermind is enormous, but somehow I have a special place for In Utero. :D

• Like 1

it’s uncool to be like nevermind rocks but man it really rocks. just a blast from start to finish. territorial pissings is forever my fav. in utero is rad as well and i’ve yet to get into bleach. i also think mtv unplugged is wildly good, illustrating just how strong/creative that band was, as well as just how soulful cobain could be 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boxelder said:

it’s uncool to be like nevermind rocks but man it really rocks. just a blast from start to finish. territorial pissings is forever my fav. in utero is rad as well and i’ve yet to get into bleach. i also think mtv unplugged is wildly good, illustrating just how strong/creative that band was, as well as just how soulful cobain could be 

Never understood why is uncool to say Nevermind rocks, because it does. But well, I get the the purist side of the story. Coming from a record as Bleach, it might sounded as a total selling out album to the people in the Seattle scene. Anyway, I love In Utero for the same reason I love Insomniac by Green Day. In fact, to me, Insomniac is Green Day's particular In Utero, while Dookie is their Nevermind.

Unplugged is just beautiful and unexpected. The way the songs translate to the acoustic side is unbeliveable. Also, the Leadbelly cover is brutal. I bet there were (and are) tons of people who didn't had a clue about who was the original artist for that song, and that's too because Cobain owned that song. He made it his song. Unplugged blew my mind when I heard and watched for the first time in so many ways... It looked like if it was Nirvana's funeral, but on a beautifull way. How ironic, huh?.

• Like 1