The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

3 minutes ago, Mau5 said:

Dunno if it's been posted, but Mark has a "best songs" playlist on spotify dating back from awhile ago, but hasn't put anything on it since March. There's like 600+ songs. He added Circle Jerk Pit by Tom Delonge this week to it. 

Definitely my favorite track of DOAE. Marks throwing tom a bone there... hmmm

I wonder if any of the songs on Tom’s demos album were actually blink songs that Mark was aware of beforehand. Sure Tom claimed they were written for blink but I always assumed Mark and Travis had never heard any of them. Like, is it possible that Circle Jerk-Pit was written for blink and that Mark was actually looking forward to using it on a blink album? I’ve never thought about this before. Interesting stuff.

5 minutes ago, boxelder said:

im pretty positive nothing on that shitty demo album dated to before blink kicked him out. he wanted to save face and made that record in two months. and IMO it shows...most of that record is awful.

There’s no way some of those demos didn’t exist in some capacity before the announcement. New world came out like two to three weeks after the announcement.

20 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I wonder if any of the songs on Tom’s demos album were actually blink songs that Mark was aware of beforehand. Sure Tom claimed they were written for blink but I always assumed Mark and Travis had never heard any of them. Like, is it possible that Circle Jerk-Pit was written for blink and that Mark was actually looking forward to using it on a blink album? I’ve never thought about this before. Interesting stuff.

I've thought of this. Suburban Kings sounds very blink despite it relying on loads of synths. It doesn't sound close to AVA at all in my opinion. It would've been a nice poppy single with Mark & Travis having their input. Circle Jirk Pit, I get the feeling when the song slows down a bit and Tom starts singing, that part was written with Mark in mind. I think New World was rushed in the last minute though and lyrically it does seem to be about him getting kicked out of blink. An Endless Summer was definitely intended for blink but whether that was written before or after he got kicked out, I don't know.

Golden Showers, well there was proof of lyrics dating back to 2013 with that song on Tom's Instagram. Not sure about the rest of the tracks. Invisible Parade probably would've been a blink song cause that doesn't suit AVA either IMO.

28 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I've thought of this. Suburban Kings sounds very blink despite it relying on loads of synths. It doesn't sound close to AVA at all in my opinion. It would've been a nice poppy single with Mark & Travis having their input. Circle Jirk Pit, I get the feeling when the song slows down a bit and Tom starts singing, that part was written with Mark in mind. I think New World was rushed in the last minute though and lyrically it does seem to be about him getting kicked out of blink. An Endless Summer was definitely intended for blink but whether that was written before or after he got kicked out, I don't know.

Golden Showers, well there was proof of lyrics dating back to 2013 with that song on Tom's Instagram. Not sure about the rest of the tracks. Invisible Parade probably would've been a blink song cause that doesn't suit AVA either IMO.

Right, I'm sure that some of this stuff was written for blink. I just don't know that Tom ever showed any of the ideas to Mark and Travis before getting kicked out.

• Like 1

Yeah, it shows in Neighborhoods as well where the lyrics are about their youth. This Is Home was a bad example of it though although instrumentally that song is great I think. Whereas WIWY from the EP actually has good lyrics IMO. I've never had a problem with blink singing about their youth. My problem is the way they've done it. +44 has Cliff Diving and that's an amazing song.

Even the smiley face album has a couple of songs about their youth, although more depressing/darker subjects. Easy Target/All of This was meant to be about Jerry Finn and some girl from his high school days wasn't it? And Go, well the lyrics are pretty straight forward.

• Like 1

There's a song where he constantly says "This is Californiaaaa" , and his "album" was released even before California had a name, wasn't it? Not to mention it's a random joke song, AND there's a picture somewhere where he has those lyrics written down in his hand before he was kicked out. I also think the whole Suburban Kings and Kings of the Weekend relationship isn't coincidental - talking about their roots etc. These were definitely demos and "odds and ends" of the album. Very blinkish riffs.

That being said, you can tell they were just ideas and nothing more. Him turning them into garbage songs was a money grab no question about it .

It'd be fascinating to know exactly which parts of which tracks on We Don't Need To Whisper / Tom's solo album / possibly even When Your Heart Stops Beating (if anything) were initially ideas for blink-182. 

edit: Hell, not even just WDNTW. Songs throughout all of AVA. Wasn't the guitar riff of Young London initially teased as a blink-182 song? Even after the reunion I think Tom was still using reject blink ideas for Angels & Airwaves.

I think the reverse is also true. Wasn't the opening guitar part in Boxing Day first teased as a riff for an acoustic AVA song? I could be wrong here.

Anyway, this kind of thing is really interesting to me. I'd love to know more specific details.

• Like 2

So Mark just tweeted that the first time he got in trouble was in 1st grade when he sang “jingle bells, Batman smells”

That literally happened to me. First time I got in trouble was in 1st grade for singing “jingle bells Batman smells”

Had to tell someone. 

1 hour ago, LeeannTweedenUSMC said:

So Mark just tweeted that the first time he got in trouble was in 1st grade when he sang “jingle bells, Batman smells”

That literally happened to me. First time I got in trouble was in 1st grade for singing “jingle bells Batman smells”

Had to tell someone. 

you're mark, right? you're an alcoholic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

It'd be fascinating to know exactly which parts of which tracks on We Don't Need To Whisper / Tom's solo album / possibly even When Your Heart Stops Beating (if anything) were initially ideas for blink-182. 

edit: Hell, not even just WDNTW. Songs throughout all of AVA. Wasn't the guitar riff of Young London initially teased as a blink-182 song? Even after the reunion I think Tom was still using reject blink ideas for Angels & Airwaves.

I think the reverse is also true. Wasn't the opening guitar part in Boxing Day first teased as a riff for an acoustic AVA song? I could be wrong here.

Anyway, this kind of thing is really interesting to me. I'd love to know more specific details.

The Wishing Well riff was meant for AVA from one of his modlife videos I believe.

2 hours ago, Chalk Outlines said:

The Wishing Well riff was meant for AVA from one of his modlife videos I believe.

Yup, from 2008 I think. sounded better in that clip than on the track itself tbh. 

On 7/7/2018 at 10:09 AM, Mau5 said:

Dunno if it's been posted, but Mark has a "best songs" playlist on spotify dating back from awhile ago, but hasn't put anything on it since March. There's like 600+ songs. He added Circle Jerk Pit by Tom Delonge this week to it. 

That is super random!

Circle Jerk Pit is pretty awesome though. He needs drop the lame AVA shit and do something different like that for a bit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kay said:

Yup, from 2008 I think. sounded better in that clip than on the track itself tbh. 

Is this video clip around somewhere? I love listening to Tom's demos.

Edit: I may have found it in one quick search oops.