The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

If it's just one line that truly bothers her, then she should've changed the lyrics like Mark did IMO. But to me this sounds similar to Kurt Cobain not wanting to play "Smells Like Teen Spirit" after so long, because he was so sick of being defined by it and felt they had much more to offer artistically that people should be paying attention to. It's like Tom not wanting to waste his time playing ATST/First Date/etc. Why fake your way through a song that doesn't even feel like "you" anymore? From an artistic standpoint, I get it. At the end of the day, it is their choice. If their show numbers dwindle because of it (which I doubt they will), then they can either bring it back or fade off. 

For true artists who are in it for the music/art-form, this is how they express themselves and it just happens to resonate with a bunch of people. They aren't monkeys in a zoo where you show up and demand tricks.

1 minute ago, Ry-Bread said:

For true artists who are in it for the music/art-form, this is how they express themselves and it just happens to resonate with a bunch of people. They aren't monkeys in a zoo where you show up and demand tricks.

...are we still talking about paramore?

• Haha 1

Just now, _Kyle_ said:

...are we still talking about paramore?

I don't listen to them so I don't know how genuine they are, but I am choosing to acknowledge their lead singer as an artist who maybe cares about her work and has feelings? It takes guts to drop your only popular song...

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

Paramore dropping their most popular song live because it has a line about a whore is beyond ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure Hayley never said that was the reason. It's fine to speculate that it is (and imo it's likely that it contributed to the decision), but since she didn't specify, it doesn't make sense to judge her as if that was the case.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

I'm pretty sure Hayley never said that was the reason. It's fine to speculate that it is (and imo it's likely that it contributed to the decision), but since she didn't specify, it doesn't make sense to judge her as if that was the case.

Just going off an article I read this morning and they referenced that line as the reason. I read through the lyrics and the whole song seems like throwaway teen oriented lyrics to me. Isn't that what most of their songs were? At least in the early days

Apparently a lot of people.

Here's a quote from her about it:

"The problem with the lyrics is not that I had an issue with someone I went to school with. That's just high school and friendships and breakups. It's the way I tried to call her out using words that didn't belong in the conversation. It's the fact that the story was setup inside the context of a competition that didn't exist over some fantasy romance," Williams said, adding.

Translation:

omgz i called a girl a whore when i was 17. it was totally authentic then, BUT: the over-PC crowd is pissed. must never play my most popular song liver ever again.

• Like 7

On 9/11/2018 at 5:33 PM, Ghent said:

Apparently a lot of people.

Here's a quote from her about it:

"The problem with the lyrics is not that I had an issue with someone I went to school with. That's just high school and friendships and breakups. It's the way I tried to call her out using words that didn't belong in the conversation. It's the fact that the story was setup inside the context of a competition that didn't exist over some fantasy romance," Williams said, adding.

Translation:

omgz i called a girl a whore when i was 17. it was totally authentic then, BUT: the over-PC crowd is pissed. must never play my most popular song liver ever again.

Stupid fucking bitch. Dead to me, she’ll be gutted to hear. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 4.40 said:

Random video of Matt changing the melody to Down. A bit odd but interesting. 

I actually really liked that. It’s definitely not better than the real melody, but blink’s Live performances are so boring now trying to sound exactly like their album recordings, it’s fun to hear something that’s actually different for a change.

• Like 1