The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Your imagination is rad. I haven't heard about this case, but I don't see how that girl is not just in appearance and that she could still get sick with old age, but I do like the idea. I think that Oliver is in the stage that is the "normal" late twenties type of person that wants to grow up and thinks that everything needs to be serious and what not, when people get older they usually get over that and starts acting childish again and stop being pretensious, but people are different I guess.

Well there was this whole special on the girl, not only does she not get older, her organs don't either, including her heart and her brain.  This is why they believe she can't die of old age.  I'll try and find her info, because I was blown away about what they were saying about her. 

Also thanks for the compliment on my imagination, I can say that that is the first time anyone has ever said anything negative or positive about my imagination.  It feels good to have people acknowledge and appreciate the way you think.

Oh and here's a quick article with links about the girl: http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/story?id=7880954#.T3Td0zEQt4E

Her name is Brooke Greenberg, and i guess shes 19 now, not 18.  (article is from 2009).  She even somehow inexplicably lives through conditions that should kill her, like a tumor 13 years ago.  They are calling her the fountain of youth and they truly wish to understand what makes her so unique.

Your imagination is rad. I haven't heard about this case, but I don't see how that girl is not just in appearance and that she could still get sick with old age, but I do like the idea. I think that Oliver is in the stage that is the "normal" late twenties type of person that wants to grow up and thinks that everything needs to be serious and what not, when people get older they usually get over that and starts acting childish again and stop being pretensious, but people are different I guess.

Well there was this whole special on the girl, not only does she not get older, her organs don't either, including her heart and her brain.  This is why they believe she can't die of old age.  I'll try and find her info, because I was blown away about what they were saying about her. 

Also thanks for the compliment on my imagination, I can say that that is the first time anyone has ever said anything negative or positive about my imagination.  It feels good to have people acknowledge and appreciate the way you think.

Oh and here's a quick article with links about the girl: http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/story?id=7880954#.T3Td0zEQt4E

Her name is Brooke Greenberg, and i guess shes 19 now, not 18.  (article is from 2009).  She even somehow inexplicably lives through conditions that should kill her, like a tumor 13 years ago.  They are calling her the fountain of youth and they truly wish to understand what makes her so unique.

Mike, I admire how interesting of a thought this is, and believe me I wish that something like this could be discovered, but I really don't think there will ever be the possibility of "turning off" aging. Just because this girl isn't getting bigger or developing doesn't mean that her cells aren't aging. Science doesn't understand the true meaning behind what "aging" is, but just because someone doesn't grow doesn't mean that they aren't getting older. Many effects of aging are due to hormonal changes, and yes it's true that maybe this girl won't get a lot of those as she gets older (mostly because hormones don't seem to be having much of an effect on her, I'd bet that some of her growth hormone or thyroid receptors are out of whack), there are inevitable changes that will happen to everyone. Arteries lose elasticity, lungs lose compliance, etc. There's tons and tons of factors that go into it, but unfortunately I don't think there's a serum or a gene that can prevent people from aging.

Edit - I forgot to add that she's really too young for scientists to say that her organs don't age, she's only 19

Anyway, I do think that was a really interesting article, so thanks for posting it! Also, I liked your theory a couple of pages back about the Box Car songs

OK, let me bring the thought back to the world we currently live in and not the possible future.  I do believe it is possible.  Maybe aging can't be turned off, but the process of aging does seem to be something that could possibly be manipulated and slowed down significantly based on the article.  Which as they state could have great uses especially for space exploration.

Anyway, let me word my thought process like this.  If you are Hugh Heffner, are you going to stop fucking 20 year olds who happily throw themselves at you even though you're 80 years old?  Now we can all look at Hugh and be like that's not right, he's so much older.  But in reality, why isn't it right?  Everyone is consenting and of age to consent.  Age is what you make of it, and yes the bigger success you are in life, the easier it is to stay young at heart.  Sure this can be dangerous (Michael Jackson), but it can be completely innocent (dying hair), the key is to live in your life to the fullest extent, Mark seems to be doing just that and what he's doing isn't hurting anyone, so I just don't see how or why its an issue.

If you can do stuff like that and you want to then why not?  Obviously in a proffesional environment it wouldn't fly but I don't think that's an age thing, it's just where you are.  A 23 yr old dude could be in a job where he can't dye his hair and a 60 yr old dude might do it just because.  It's all good, it's just hair.

OK, let me bring the thought back to the world we currently live in and not the possible future.  I do believe it is possible.  Maybe aging can't be turned off, but the process of aging does seem to be something that could possibly be manipulated and slowed down significantly based on the article.  Which as they state could have great uses especially for space exploration.

Anyway, let me word my thought process like this.  If you are Hugh Heffner, are you going to stop fucking 20 year olds who happily throw themselves at you even though you're 80 years old?  Now we can all look at Hugh and be like that's not right, he's so much older.  But in reality, why isn't it right?  Everyone is consenting and of age to consent.  Age is what you make of it, and yes the bigger success you are in life, the easier it is to stay young at heart.  Sure this can be dangerous (Michael Jackson), but it can be completely innocent (dying hair), the key is to live in your life to the fullest extent, Mark seems to be doing just that and what he's doing isn't hurting anyone, so I just don't see how or why its an issue.

I know, and I agree with you. I have no problem with Mark doing it, in fact I hope he keeps doing it if it makes him happy (and consequently lead to more blink material haha). It does depend on the profession though, like fate-fell-short said. Would you go to a doctor that dyed his or her hair blue?

I know, and I agree with you. I have no problem with Mark doing it, in fact I hope he keeps doing it if it makes him happy (and consequently lead to more blink material haha). It does depend on the profession though, like fate-fell-short said. Would you go to a doctor that dyed his or her hair blue?

Maybe.  I see no real correlation between the color of one's hair and how good they are at their profession.  If you're a doctor, that means you took at least 7 years of school beyond high school, passed your internship and then passed your residency.  If a doctor wants to dye their hair, they should (I emphasize should) be able to do that as they wish.  Of course that isn't the world we live in, the professional world has rules about hair, tattoos, piercings, etc.  Of course someone can be just as successful as a doctor but be in a profession where not only does no one give a shit if you do such things, its almost expected of you, like someone in a professional band.  I would never expect to come across a doctor in this day and age with blue hair, but I don't think that it should be as looked down on as it is.  I understand professionalism, and how society overall works, but for me personally I really don't think I'd have an issue if my doctor dyed his hair.

Don't get me wrong I do get your point, and agree with you, but I guess I just don't look at the world in the same old-timey way that Oliver seems to.

Maybe.  I see no real correlation between the color of one's hair and how good they are at their profession.  If you're a doctor, that means you took at least 7 years of school beyond high school, passed your internship and then passed your residency.  If a doctor wants to dye their hair, they should (I emphasize should) be able to do that as they wish.  Of course that isn't the world we live in, the professional world has rules about hair, tattoos, piercings, etc.  Of course someone can be just as successful as a doctor but be in a profession where not only does no one give a shit if you do such things, its almost expected of you, like someone in a professional band.  I would never expect to come across a doctor in this day and age with blue hair, but I don't think that it should be as looked down on as it is.  I understand professionalism, and how society overall works, but for me personally I really don't think I'd have an issue if my doctor dyed his hair.

Well said, sir. I'm glad you didn't leave the board for good (I remember you had been thinking of it a little while ago), I enjoy your discussions!

Blink started to break up when Tom started abusing pain killers. BCR just made Mark and Tom's relationship more strained.

Watched Hoppus on Music last night and really dug it. It's getting better.

I hope it gets better, Mark seems to love the show, so hopefully its successful.

if I liked lots of music(modern music as well) I'd probably enjoy that type of show, I hate most music though so I can't really watch it, I liked the oasis interview because they talked about the Beach boys. Some of them are fun to watch on youtube, I just hate most of the bands.