Tom's "BCR" sound

Kay

This has probably been asked a billion times but does anyone know what kind of amps and settings Tom was using during BCR? I really like the guitar sound on that record specifically and I will be needing to buy a new amp in the near future, and I'd like to be able to achieve something similar (not the same) for a project I'm working on.

I can't match it because I have a telecaster and I'm not buying a new guitar, plus obviously I don't have Jerry Finn as a producer, I'm just curious about what I can do to get close to that general sound on a budget.

4 hours ago, Kay said:

This has probably been asked a billion times but does anyone know what kind of amps and settings Tom was using during BCR? I really like the guitar sound on that record specifically and I will be needing to buy a new amp in the near future, and I'd like to be able to achieve something similar (not the same) for a project I'm working on.

I can't match it because I have a telecaster and I'm not buying a new guitar, plus obviously I don't have Jerry Finn as a producer, I'm just curious about what I can do to get close to that general sound on a budget.

It ain't BCR a sound but I use Telecasters with a Rockerverb 100 mk2 stack. I love it! 

5 hours ago, Kay said:

What pickups do you have in the tele?

13 hours ago, Kay said:

BCR was his signature strats and Gibson ES-335 with the Triple Rectifier. He also used delay, flanger, and a few other effects IIRC.

Hopefully this gives you a better idea.

maxresdefault.jpg

The Marshall was Davids amp.

As far as that tone on a budget, there are some really good tube combos available (the Marshall DSL40C is very good). Regarding settings, just have an equal balance and have enough gain to saturate the tone.