The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

1 hour ago, Speedo said:

The first time I saw Against Me! was in 2003 or 04, I can't remember ... the played in Phoenix with Lucero and Grabass Charlestons. There were only like 20 to 30 people there and it was a total blast. I spent the evening smoking cigarettes and chatting up a lovely young woman whom I promptly made uncomfortable and ruined any chance of a little late night romance with ... see, she asked for a drag off my cigarette and I said 'Sure! Wait .... you don't have herpes, right?' She pretend smiled, gave a half laugh and things were never the same the rest of the night. 

Moral of the story: herpes jokes aren't funny and offend people.

Hahahhahahahhahhahaha!! :D

2 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

http://www.fatherjohnmisty.com/sap/

I highly recommend this new way to listen to music.

this is hilarious. lol

53 minutes ago, Ghent said:

The lead singer died, but his brother took his spot and sounds pretty good. I wouldn't say it's a cover band at all. He's been singing in his place since the 80s..

I mean i'm no hardcore Skynyrd fan, but that's just a stupid remark. They have a lot of good songs. I'm guessing you think Sweet Home Alabama and Free Bird are the only two?

They're no Father John Misty though, that's for sure.

i can vouch for skynyrd and FJM! idk if you've listened to FJM outside of mocking kyle but he's damn good. as for skynyrd, they were really good in their time. in terms of the southern rock bands or whatever, i don't think they ever held a candle to someone like the allman brothers, but i grew up listening to skynyrd's hits and they even had solid album cuts too (ballad of curtis loew). 

except i can tell you that i think the skynyrd that exists now is garbage. i've posted elsewhere here it was my first concert and it was right before they put out this album called god & guns. i don't remember the concert being too bad, but they're just an absolute mockery of what the original band was/stood for. all they do is play the ted nugent/charlie daniels circuit for old racists in like mississippi who were once slightly rebellious but aged into prejudice and shit lol. their redneck fanbase (not sure if it was as bad in the 1970s or something, but it's all they've got now) is completely disgusting lol.

does this sound like simple man?? lol. this was their song about hating obama lol. generic as hell, an affront to the original band, but it's pretty catchy. lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

I've never been a LS fan. Freedbird is awful and it was actually my class song. I think it was a good representation of us though.

SAP is a revolutionary way to hear a song and decide if you want that song. It's quite simple so maybe that's why it's throwing you for a loop. You're too used to the old fashioned way of downloading and consuming music. This compresses the song to the essential elements so you can digest it easily and freely. Then if you like what you hear, you can go buy the album. It helps you, it helps the artist, it helps the world.

So what exactly makes it better than something that has been around for years at this point like Spotify?  Spotify lets us listen to anything and everything for free.  I guess it doesn't have a link next to each of their songs to buy individually (Though they often have links next to bands to buy their singles, albums, merch and concert tickets).  Unless I'm missing something, SAP isn't really bringing much of anything new to the table.

So I listened to Down from the BBC Rock All Dayer thing again today, then later I went outside my dorm and this dude was playing Down on his acoustic guitar. I happened to have a blink shirt on and he said "nice shirt!" in the middle of his performance. I love how relevant blink is right now. Since I've only been a fan for a couple years this is my first time seeing so many people liking them.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, nextmarkhoppus44 said:

Am I the only person here who thinks 95% of music pre-1980s is overrated?

Probably not. There are people with horrible taste everywhere. 

Music after 1980 is terrible for the most part. OOf.

the beatles are okay....i think 40% of what they did was pretty good and new. the other 60% was pure garbage

the stones were boring

the who and pink floyd were great  bands.

the 80s gave us awfull pop music, horrible rock bands...but also gave us bands like The Cure, New Order, U2, and i love MJ....

the 90s were fucking awesome (nostalgia)

00s were fucking awesome (nostalgia)

10s started of with horrible pop music, i would say 2016 pop is much better than 2010 pop. bandwise i think the 10s are cool. ....maybe i just have huge nostalgia for the 90s and 00s....

I like The Beatles a lot. I feel like a lot of the people who say "What's the big deal with The Beatles? 'I Want To Hold Your Hand' is simplistic pop trash." haven't heard any or much of their later stuff. I also think they're overrated, but maybe that's because pop music and its musical structures are nothing new to me. For most of their hardcore fans who grew up with their music as it was coming out, that's probably not the case.

I haven't dug deep in The Rolling Stones' catalogue very much, but I do like their most famous songs.

I think The Who are underrated. And I think The Beach Boys are even more underrated. Pink Floyd though, they're overrated. Even as a major fan, I only listen to about 3 of their albums on a regular basis. You could probably guess which ones.

The 1980s really changed things for music because of the rise of mediums like MTV. The image became just as significant as the music, I feel like. Musicians and people who perform music aren't the same thing in my eyes. 

But there has always been shitty music imo. Music's quality didn't suddenly take a nosedive after the 1990s ended. The only reason it seems like there wasn't any shitty music back then is because society forgot all about the shitty music in favor of the bands/artists that made good music, which we remember today. Things always look better with time. We're already having nostalgia for 2000s pop music and that decade just ended lol. 

4 hours ago, nextmarkhoppus44 said:

Am I the only person here who thinks 95% of music pre-1980s is overrated?

How can literally decades of music spanning countless genres be "overrated" ? 

• Like 4