The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

18 hours ago, Champ182 said:

This is just out of curiosity cause there's not much going on, what age range did you guys consider pop punk to be your favorite genre of music? And if you still do, how long have you loved it?

I got into it when I was pretty much a little kid haha around 1998, through my neighbor's CDs. Next few years I loved stuff like Green Day, Blink, Lagwagon, MxPx, Goldfinger, Ten Foot Pole, Sum 41, NFG, Rancid, NOFX. Got into emo-punk stuff too like Jimmy Eat World, Saves The Day, Get Up Kids, Motion City, some Taking Back Sunday, Dashboard. Blink was and will always be far and away my favorite in the "punk-ish" genre.

It kinda worked out perfectly that they broke up in 05 because by that point pop punk shifted into a different vibe that I never liked. And I was going way more into that early/mid 00s indie (Bright Eyes, Death Cab, Cursive, The Good Life, Rilo Kiley, The Shins)

Nowadays I never listen to any pop punk from between like 2004-2014 or so haha but there are suddenly TONS of great new bands in the pop/emo/punk genre who grew up on the same stuff I did, (Modern Baseball, Pup, Sorority Noise, Fidlar, Wavves). It's pretty awesome in my opinion that the genre kinda cycled through the more glossy stylized phase and is back to just normal dudes with guitars and shit. 

As soon as I started getting into music more around 2000, I liked pop punk pretty much straight away. Would've been about 7. It's a musical family so I started liking music pretty early. Offspring was another band I loved too. Want You Bad used to be one of my favourite songs. Back then though, I only ever heard the singles. Foo Fighters, Wheatus and heck, even Nickelback. RHCP were a band I liked too. Same with Limp Bizkit. Also liked Puddle of Mudd. The first full album I loved would've been Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory. Listened to that album nearly every single day. Used to love Avril Lavigne's first album when I was like 8-9 as well. And God forbid, Busted. Alien Ant Farm were another band that seemed huge at the time too. Oh, Bowling for Soup were a band I loved for years as well.

I look back on that and most music, I just think "wtf? Did I really listen to that back then?"

I guess it was 2002 when I started getting more into pop punk. I loved blink with their Take Off album. Was only 9 years old. Good Charlotte's Lifestyle of the Rich & Famous was an important album for me too. Sum 41, New Found Glory with their early albums. So the age was definitely 9 years old. Weirdly enough, I didn't know too much about Green Day back then. The only song I remember at the time was Time of Your Life, which was still huge in 2002, despite being released years before.

But I hated that song. Wasn't pop punk to me. Was just some acoustic folk crap in my mind back then. Also remember the Boxcar Racer song There Is being played on Kerrang TV shit loads back in 2002 as well. Loved that song and the video. Then blink came out with the smiley face album in 2003. Didn't hate it but I didn't know what to think of it. Was so strange and I never heard anything like it before (and even now, there's never been a band that sounds like that apart from blink IMO, and to an extent +44/AVA).

I just didn't know what to make of it until around 2007, when it just became my all time favourite album. Green Day came up with American Idiot in 2004 which I hated at the time as well, partly because it was overplayed in my house by my damn Mum, who'd play the full album on the stereo speakers on full blast nearly every day. She did that when she was on the treadmills. Didn't really appreciate Green Day until around 2007-2008.

As for the likes of NFG, Good Charlotte, Bowling for Soup etc I started disliking them and even their early albums. I got more into the punk side of pop punk, started coming across bands like Rancid and NOFX. Began to fall in love with Green Day. Also started liking +44's album and falling in love with it. Started to understand AVA a bit more and loved their first 2 albums. Around 2010, I started getting more into older bands like the Cure, Queen, Sex Pistols, U2. 30 Seconds to Mars were another band I started to love as well. Yellowcard stuck with me past 2010 though.

I guess that's when I started growing out of the pop punk stuff, but my favourite bands tend to be punk rock or pop punk, but they no longer play that genre. AFI is another one I love as well. Although their last 2 albums are a bit off with me. But I was 9-17 years old when all I could listen to was pop punk or punk rock.

Despised FOB, Panic at the Disco etc. They never remotely sounded like a pop punk band to me. I did like MCR though. Always felt they sounded more like a pop punk band than FOB & Panic too.

• Like 1

Got into pop punk when I was 13, I think? I was always into blues/classic rock before then. I knew of blink since I was in 1st or 2nd grade, enjoyed them quite well, but didn't fall in love with them as my all-time favorite band until 2003 when I heard Feeling This. I did really like TOYPAJ and Enema from when I was younger but didn't own them other than a burned CD.

Anyways, it was around the time Untitled, American Idiot and Chuck came out, the trifecta as I call it. Being a skater I fell in love. Dug up their old discography, loved how raw the earlier albums were (for blink anyways).

I think my musical tastes started shifting when I was 18/19. At the time, blink had broken up, FOB was letting the pop in pop-punk rule their music and I started to realize how whiney the bands all sounded. Like, I get Tom's voice is grating to a lot of people, but Good Charlotte and Simple Plan, holy fuck did they sound bad to me. Was this the kinda music I truly enjoyed? A 30-year old still singing about his dad? I rejected the direction the genre was going with the watered down copy cats making their way into the scene. Though ironically this is probably how the old punks from the 70's/80's felt about the 90's wave. 

By my third year in college, I was getting into rap and, gulp, jam bands. I didn't pursue jam bands on my own per se, just all my friends were into them and I'd accompany them to shows. But rap I dove into. Kinda random. 

Then I was making a punk rock movie for my friend with a pink Mohawk 5 years ago and he gave me a real punk CD. You know, with protopunk songs, early punk like Kennedy's etc and I thought, huh, suddenly polished Enema/TOYPAJ blink sounds closer to the backstreet boys than their punk  rock descendants. I dug up almost every band on that list (easier to do these days with Shazam), and I haven't looked back. After all these years, I feel I'm finally an actual punker at heart.

But it's hard because blink is my favorite band and I know the flak they get in the scene, even to this day (well I have no defense anymore after the Cali release so I don't even try). But I still listen to Sum 41 after Dave came back. Occasionally some old green day records. Not so much Yellowcard. Or FOB, ever. I like me some White Stripes when the mood hits (though they're in a genre all their own). Offspring, Rancid, I still enjoy them but I get why old time punks hate them. 

2 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Despised FOB, Panic at the Disco etc. They never remotely sounded like a pop punk band to me. I did like MCR though. Always felt they sounded more like a pop punk band than FOB & Panic too.

FOB had me fooled in high school for 1 album. Hate Panic. Death of pop-punk right there. But MCR has some great tunes. I really love their first 3 albums. Always thought they were banished from the scene because of the makeup and black parade outfits but some of their songs are more punk than even the giants from back in the day. Side note, I met Gerard Way this summer and he's a hell of a comic book writer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

But it's hard because blink is my favorite band and I know the flak they get in the scene, even to this day (well I have no defense anymore after the Cali release so I don't even try). But I still listen to Sum 41 after Dave came back. Occasionally some old green day records. Not so much Yellowcard. Or FOB, ever. I like me some White Stripes when the mood hits (though they're in a genre all their own). Offspring, Rancid, I still enjoy them but I get why old time punks hate them. 

FOB had me fooled in high school for 1 album.

haha saaaaame. i saw a cali-styled pin the other day and my girlfriend urged me to buy it, but i couldn't. there's no defending this band anymore. love the old music, which could have been hard to defend for some, but now i'd be wasting my time.

as for the FOB stuff, i find that a lot of their material prior to their ill-fated reformation to be pretty compelling, mostly folie a deux. their debut is a classic for sure, and the two afterward aren't particularly horrible to me... the guyliner and TMZ shit irritated me at the time, but the music was never particularly bad to me. folie a deux is where they expand considerably, it's all over the place. i'd recommend it to anyone on this board not into straight pop punk. while overproduced and overlong, it's real funky and creative, a good listen.

I thought i would be listening poppunk my whole life when i was a teenager. only 22 but i am not that interested in it anymore.

I love blink. like some various poppunk records but i really enjoy something with a groovy bassline, funky guitar and some disco drums. 

Listening to a shit load of MJ and some indie bands

On 2017. 09. 10. at 2:49 AM, jordidanen95 said:

I thought i would be listening poppunk my whole life when i was a teenager. only 22 but i am not that interested in it anymore.

I love blink. like some various poppunk records but i really enjoy something with a groovy bassline, funky guitar and some disco drums. 

Listening to a shit load of MJ and some indie bands

believe it or not, it's also temporary. you will hate this crap in a few years.

7 hours ago, Zoltan said:

believe it or not, it's also temporary. you will hate this crap in a few years.

Well, I also love a lot of different styles now and i am not bound to a genre anymore. A good song is a good song and i kinda like that every genre has such a different flavour. I was very narrowminded as a teen. Still enjoy poppunk though. I just think i've listened to that enough and theres nothing more to explore there.

On 9/9/2017 at 4:17 PM, boxelder said:

haha saaaaame. i saw a cali-styled pin the other day and my girlfriend urged me to buy it, but i couldn't. there's no defending this band anymore. love the old music, which could have been hard to defend for some, but now i'd be wasting my time.

as for the FOB stuff, i find that a lot of their material prior to their ill-fated reformation to be pretty compelling, mostly folie a deux. their debut is a classic for sure, and the two afterward aren't particularly horrible to me... the guyliner and TMZ shit irritated me at the time, but the music was never particularly bad to me. folie a deux is where they expand considerably, it's all over the place. i'd recommend it to anyone on this board not into straight pop punk. while overproduced and overlong, it's real funky and creative, a good listen.

I think FOB is really good pre-hiatus. Take this to your grave is some of the best pop punk around and Folie A Deux is my favorite from them, really good catchy music. It's too bad fans gave them shit for it so they virtually ignore it live

On 9/10/2017 at 9:12 AM, Kay said:

Because it looks like two nerdy stoner teens against a green screen who are mentally stuck in the 70s? thats what I'm assuming anyway. 

I made it 47 seconds in before I turned it off ... what an unfortunate group of people.

I hope the fat drummer is driving the tour van when he has a heart attack, the van wrecks and rolls killing everyone else in the band except for the dumb shit, weirdo bass player who gets ejected mid roll and lands unconscious but relatively unscathed in the medium and who would have woke up and changed his life around ... quitting music and finishing school to become a leader in the forefront for the development of alternative fuels and energy sources ... if not for a rogue keyboard that also flew from the van mid roll and landed directly on his stupid fucking face, caving it in, squirting his brains out the top of his skull and shooting them into traffic, putting the final nail in that shitfest of a band's coffin. Fuck that band.