The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

ha, i think "this is the first song on our new album" is a reference to what they say before i want you to want me on cheap trick's at budokan album. cool!

skimming through that show, some observations: ultra-loud kick in that mix, but appreciate the bass being turned up too. not a horrible show though, really, and the response on reckless abandon is encouraging. and i know, said 100x, but a 72-minute set? they're breaking records, and not good ones

4 hours ago, bastard said:

Is Travis in Feldmans band? Or just doing a tour together? Or am I imagining things? Haven't been following Blink much lately.

He did the drums for the album. So if he’s touring with them too, then yea I’d say he’s in the band.

14 hours ago, boxelder said:

not a horrible show though, really, and the response on reckless abandon is encouraging. and i know, said 100x, but a 72-minute set? they're breaking records, and not good ones

i skimmed to get a bit of each song. awful mix, yes.

whomever said (i think it was here in the general thread) that blink is essentially a tribute act at this point, well here we go, this performance is exhibit A.

blink are not funny, and not interested. matt appears to be here for the paycheck only. mark is having fun, but only with himself, only to himself. he's playing the way a middle aged guy would along to the stereo in the man cave studio basement when his daughters have friends over. travis is playing drums because that's what travis does, he's clean and sober and survived death and this is what he knows how to do.

i've seen high schoolers at parties do a more passionate rendition of dammit.

sad.

• Like 6

I watched ~30 minutes of that Life is Beautiful stream, obviously the mix is horrible but I actually enjoyed listening to Mark on bass loudly the whole time! Skiba seemed to move around a bit more, I saw complaints that he seemed drunk which I didn't really notice from what I watched...

Matt posted last night that the "California" touring cycle is officially over... the only thing left on the schedule is the Linkin Park/Chester memorial show next month, will be interesting to see what they do at that one. 

Curious to see how quickly they jump back into the studio.

16 hours ago, daveyjones said:

i skimmed to get a bit of each song. awful mix, yes.

whomever said (i think it was here in the general thread) that blink is essentially a tribute act at this point, well here we go, this performance is exhibit A.

blink are not funny, and not interested. matt appears to be here for the paycheck only. mark is having fun, but only with himself, only to himself. he's playing the way a middle aged guy would along to the stereo in the man cave studio basement when his daughters have friends over. travis is playing drums because that's what travis does, he's clean and sober and survived death and this is what he knows how to do.

i've seen high schoolers at parties do a more passionate rendition of dammit.

sad.

Feel you. Totally.

Everytime I see blink nowadays, it makes me feel really weird about the band. I just' can't get into it as if it was blink. I mean... anymore with this approach and situation you described. If I change the name in my mind pretending it to be a side project who covers blink ocasionally, ok, then is a little bit less weird. And that just makes me think about how weird should be for people like you, who were so close to the band since the very beginning. My gosh, what a trip.

A lot of people making a big deal about Skiba's Instagram post reading like a goodbye...

"Tonight completed blink-182's touring on CALIFORNIA. Thanks a MILLION to markhoppus and travisbarker as well as our AMAZING crew for all the great shows and tours. I feel blessed and very honored. Thank you guys for having me. I love you all very much."

IMO it's Matt just being humble, but it does sorta show that he still feels like an outsider.

They should do that tribute show and call it a day.

Its just an embarrassment now. They can't even be bothered to learn songs off the Deluxe album?

Mark is scared shitless to do anything other than phone it in, Matt is a bad fit, and they have a writer for hire, writing mediocre songs. Don't really care about any upcoming releases with Feldmn behind the wheel. Don't care to see them live. They are slowly fading away.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dylan_ said:

I really hope it isn't Matt just being humble and he is done with blink for good.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Tom's agreement with them was for one album and one touring cycle as the lawyers sort out the rest of the BS. Could've been why they dragged the tour out so long, and technically had to release new songs as "California Deluxe"... if that were the case, Skiba's post would make sense as he may not really know what's next...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

If I change the name in my mind pretending it to be a side project who covers blink ocasionally, ok, then is a little bit less weird.

that was my feeling when skiba was first announced. just do a new name (ala +44), and we can judge the effort honestly without bringing all the baggage in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Olidamus said:

They should do that tribute show and call it a day.

Its just an embarrassment now. They can't even be bothered to learn songs off the Deluxe album?

Mark is scared shitless to do anything other than phone it in, Matt is a bad fit, and they have a writer for hire, writing mediocre songs. Don't really care about any upcoming releases with Feldmn behind the wheel. Don't care to see them live. They are slowly fading away.

I would argue it isn't slowly anymore.

3 hours ago, ryan1125 said:

A lot of people making a big deal about Skiba's Instagram post reading like a goodbye...

"Tonight completed blink-182's touring on CALIFORNIA. Thanks a MILLION to markhoppus and travisbarker as well as our AMAZING crew for all the great shows and tours. I feel blessed and very honored. Thank you guys for having me. I love you all very much."

IMO it's Matt just being humble, but it does sorta show that he still feels like an outsider.

Maybe it's time for some Trio stuff. I would hope so. 

Or maybe it is a goodbye and Tom's announcements for announcements is that he's back - Again. And a new album is due to release sometime 2022

3 hours ago, ryan1125 said:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Tom's agreement with them was for one album and one touring cycle as the lawyers sort out the rest of the BS. Could've been why they dragged the tour out so long, and technically had to release new songs as "California Deluxe"... if that were the case, Skiba's post would make sense as he may not really know what's next...

This makes a lot of sense, except I would expect Tom to be constantly saying "I'll be back after this album cycle" rather than "I can come back whenever I want."