The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

32 minutes ago, darkarrow said:

Didn't eveyrone get mad at Tom cause he supposdely was just in it for the money?  Mark and Travis very obviously are just playing it as safe as possible in order to make as much money off of their old band name as possible at this point.

I mean, there's good points to Cali/DLX, but nothing on it touches any of the honesty in Mark's previous efforts, it's not genuine music, it's music catered to selling/making money.

But wait, I thought you guys were saying "it barrrrrellllly made gold" "it was a flop" etc.  

Did Mark flop, or did he make millions?  Pick one. 

36 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

But wait, I thought you guys were saying "it barrrrrellllly made gold" "it was a flop" etc.  

All they know is they grew out of blink and are left scrambling for a way to rationalize it. They've chosen online complaining.

Don't ask difficult questions like this.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

RIAA of today is willing to inflate the actual buys with digital spins (this wasn't happening with Neighborhoods). It's not even the same.

this IS an interesting point. though i doubt cali deluxe made that big of a dent in sales enough to get it to 500,000 (good sales in today's climate). i think the fact was, however we want to discredit the music, cali sold much better than neighborhoods because of better promotion and a big single (two, really)

3 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I never said anything like that.  Imo it's crap compared to previous blink releases musically, but it's designed to sell well, that's obvious.

Also jeez my typing was terrible on my last post.

3 hours ago, Ghent said:

All they know is they grew out of blink and are left scrambling for a way to rationalize it. They've chosen online complaining.

Don't ask difficult questions like this.

I don't think I grew out of blink, I think this is crap record musically/creatively.   I prefer honesty from my favorite bands, and nothing on Cali/DLX feels half as honest as their previous efforts to me.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, darkarrow said:

I don't think I grew out of blink, I think this is crap record musically/creatively.   I prefer honesty from my favorite bands, and nothing on Cali/DLX feels half as honest as their previous efforts to me.

Pretty much.

The people that "grew out of Blink" left this forum before Neighborhoods came out. California is a more generic take on Blink, and deserves the criticism it gets on here. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, justin88182 said:

Serious question here...

In regards to parking lot on California has anyone made the connection that’s it’s a blatant rip off of this classic?

Yeah ... I did ... the day they released it. Welcome to the party. Everyone has gone home but you're more than welcome to hang for a bit. Just turn the lights off and lock the door when you leave.

27 minutes ago, Speedo said:

Yeah ... I did ... the day they released it. Welcome to the party. Everyone has gone home but you're more than welcome to hang for a bit. Just turn the lights off and lock the door when you leave.

Wouldn’t have noticed. I shy away from the forums because it disgusts me seeing the one timers who come on here begging for download links whenever something new is released.

Congrats to the band for going gold. Mark really deserves it after all the shit he’s been through with tom.

I really enjoy Cali and the deluxe. They’re good fun songs but a band that has Matt Skiba, Mark Hoppus and travis barker in it can do way way better than this.

They have got to let Skiba write more and have Feldman take a backseat on the next record. Matt Skiba is probably my favourite musician of all time and he could do amazing things with this band if they give him the chance.

if the next record is California pt3 then honestly it really should be the last. 

• Like 1

In regards to asthenia on Untitled has anyone made the connection that’s it’s a blatant rip off of this classic?

In regards to the rock show on Take Off Your Pants And Jacket has anyone made the connection that’s it’s a blatant rip off of this classic?

Worth the 20 minutes. The first long-youtube video that hasn't been made by either a Tom-Bot or someone with an invested interest in blink. Pretty objective, and what first starts out to be this fan-made tribute video turns into a really, really enticing mini-documentary. I think this guy has it spot on. It made me incredibly sad to see what's happened to my childhood hero.

• Like 1

Yeah I think Tom lost grip on reality around 2005 and nothing I've seen since then has made me think he ever got it back. My personal hope is that he got abducted by aliens around that time and they replaced him with an alien imposter (who happens to be deteriorating at a rate faster than humans) and someday they'll return him.

• Like 2

exactly,

i don't think i grew out blink.

I grew out their childisch pop-punk phase they grew out themselves in 03... well tom did.

mark plays along whatever you put him on the table... if feldyboi says bubblegummy songs catered to 13year olds is the way to go, mark is on board.

@JarJarBlinks thats what i meant with my post earlier. Tom doesn't want to do music anymore so he quits it. Sad but at least he's not a total yes man to the industry with absolutely no ambition to try and grow as a musician. that's where my loss of respect comes from

23 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Nothing worse than a musician that wants to make a new album with his band and tour! What a dick!

a musician that wants to have a new album for the sake of promo and touring. I see absolutely no desire in mark to actually be a creative musician anymore. he wants to release records sure.... but the approach that they openly agreed on confirms he has no desire to write them.

and no, sitting at johns kitchen table and thinking about wildfire and putting together a couple powerchords and lyrics you openly admit , you have no idea what they're about, is not writing...