The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

1 minute ago, JarJarBlinks said:

As amazing as Untitled is....I think it was the worst thing to ever happen to Blink.  

yeah kind of true!

i'd like to know where blink would be now if box car racer would've turned out shit and would have absolutely flopped.

Although i think untitled needed to happen to keep blink interesting, i wish i'd would've happened because all of them grew together as a band, and not tom getting god complex

3 hours ago, Mau5 said:

Worth the 20 minutes. The first long-youtube video that hasn't been made by either a Tom-Bot or someone with an invested interest in blink. Pretty objective, and what first starts out to be this fan-made tribute video turns into a really, really enticing mini-documentary. I think this guy has it spot on. It made me incredibly sad to see what's happened to my childhood hero.

That’s 100% what’s happening. Poor bastard

yea i totally get what you're saying.

I'm not a fan of what tom is doing right now, but it doesn't bother me at all. he quit doing music. whatever he does now is not important in blinkland imo...

i don't care about the success of them either.....the chainsmokers are extremely successful as well.... doesn't make their music any better.

As i said earlier, its good for them california was such a success with the grammy nomination and all.

but if my favourite band being nominated for a grammy makes me discredit said awards credibility the most, it just makes me sad.....

10 minutes ago, Nasa said:

If you’re going to call me out, then call me out properly, Ryan! :D 

“Army” is better than anything on California and California Deluxe combined.

Couldn't remember who it was and didn't feel like digging for it. It's not meant to be negative at all, it's just pointing out how different people's tastes can be.

9 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Ben Folds' farts sound better than new blink.

I disagree, and yet we are both right... 

3 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Couldn't remember who it was and didn't feel like digging for it. It's not meant to be negative at all, it's just pointing out how different people's tastes can be.

Haha I know. The smiley face was to indicate that I was joking.

I like that there’s a diversity of thought on this board about the “quality” (whatever that means) of the music from this era of blink. But I think that shaming other people for their music taste (on both sides) is childish and stupid and that’s one thing I’m not looking forward to when we get news from blink about new music. 

8 minutes ago, Nasa said:

Haha I know. The smiley face was to indicate that I was joking.

I like that there’s a diversity of thought on this board about the “quality” (whatever that means) of the music from this era of blink. But I think that shaming other people for their music taste (on both sides) is childish and stupid and that’s one thing I’m not looking forward to when we get news from blink about new music. 

Stop trying to take the fun out of the board!!

• Haha 1

The only album I feel like I've outgrown is Take Off. Enema & Dude Ranch always will be way more to me than that album. As for the smiley face album, that album is literally my bible. There's just no way California is all Mark and Skiba can do. Travis, he does anything. He's amazing on everything. But Mark? He wrote the +44 album with no help, he wrote some kick ass songs on Neighborhoods which I also believe are the best Neighborhoods songs.

As for Tom, I don't think he's lost it musically. Maybe as a solo artist or when he's not got Mark & Travis by his side. We have to remember Boxcar Racer was the first time he tried something completely new. I think it was just a bit of a fluke that he happened to write great songs by himself. If it wasn't a fluke then AVA wouldn't be nowhere near as inconsistent. There's not one great AVA album in my opinion. Solid maybe. The Dream Walker was solid to me because it felt more like a band. Just it wasn't with the usual AVA members. It was with the Rubin brothers.

I also believe another reason BCR worked so well is because of Travis. That album would be insanely different without him as the drummer IMO. He's helping to carry the sound. Hip hop is on that album. No way Tom could get that Brooks guy or whatever and have hip hop drums clashing with punk rock guitars. Maybe he'd be able to do it but nowhere near as creative and as great as what Travis did.

BCR also has that angst that blink always had. There's none of that in AVA whatsoever. I just believe Tom was never meant to go solo or to another band. His best will always be in blink and it shows. The dude can just turn up for 5 minutes and give Mark a riff to play around and it's probably gonna be amazing like 80% of the time. Neighborhoods is so damn good but it has the inconsistencies. But on that album they do show how great they are. I don't hate California. Has some great songs on there, but apart from 2 songs I hardly listen to it. One of the main things missing from it is honesty. That album isn't a blink effort IMO. Yeah, they worked hard, but it has Feldman's fingerprints throughout.

Can't say that with Finn. Finn worked differently with other bands. He treated every band different, so we can't say about Finn. I'm glad that the album has earned the Gold thing. Blink do deserve it after all. And California is decent. But it shows how shite the music industry is nowadays when that's one of the better albums of the year, because to be honest, I actually do believe it was one of the best albums last year. Maybe now they've gone Gold they won't feel the need to prove their relevance, and just write an honest rock album.

I do believe what Tom said around 2013 or 2014 or whatever year it was. "We have nothing to prove". Blink had nothing to prove before and after the release of Neighborhoods and they had nothing to prove before and after California either IMO. They've already done it. So they can afford to write albums that aren't written to sell records.

• Like 1

To be fair I do like some of the new songs, but they have no depth, they don't resonate with me as the songs off of every other thing Blink has released.  I'm still hopeful for the next album.  I just kinda find it sad that this is the album that received a grammy nomination. Their past stuff deserved it much more imo.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ghent said:

It will be pretty hilarious when Tom comes back and they continue to work with Feldmann. Music will be similar, but all the bots who spent months crying on here will suddenly love it. Guaranteed.

Tom is so far down the AVA/Space rabbit hole I don't think he can even write a song Feldman could turn generic and poppy.

Decided to listen to the entire Blink discography again these past two days ... It's okay. I probably overplayed Blink in my younger days, so that sucks. I am, however, enjoying the fuck out of the rare and B-side shit though, I forgot about a lot of them.

• Like 1