Blink-lite

High Value Man

18 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I am very surprised to learn that you guys aren't enjoying blink-182 without Tom Delonge.

Also, what do you think of this John Feldmann character?

The problem with your theory is that I can't stand Tom, I haven't liked him since 2006.

It would take you, I don't know, another 8 years to catch up to me with me on that idea?

But if you watch that video, it really is like "What the fuck"?

It is stuff like that which really makes me think Blink should have never come back after 2004. Imagine the legendary status they'd have now? I think I'd take that over what has transpired. I'd get over not having Neighborhoods/California and drunk fat Tom standing around onstage with  love shirt and tight jeans on or Matt awkwardly having zero chemistry with the band.

It would have been better to have gone out on top.

• Like 4

One video was them 20 years ago playing at breakneck speed. Sometimes it was amazing, other times it was awful.

The next video was them in their mid 40s playing the same song at album tempo. Sometimes it's tight and sounds great, sometimes it's uninspired.

On 9/4/2017 at 7:05 AM, Olidamus said:

Do they do backing tracks on all the songs? I thought it was just a few. I don't see why Feeling this would even need a backing track.

They use backing tracks on all the songs. Feeling ThIs has the tambourine jingle at the end of the song which is obviously backtracked. If you pay close attention, I'm confident every song has some sort of backing track.

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

One video was them 20 years ago playing at breakneck speed. Sometimes it was amazing, other times it was awful.

The next video was them in their mid 40s playing the same song at album tempo. Sometimes it's tight and sounds great, sometimes it's uninspired.

Its not just about the speed.

Also, not sure what them in their 40's has to do with anything, as if you are somehow old and slow in your 40's...LOL. Maybe 80's, but I think some 40 year old can handle fast songs.

I mean look at Feldman, he is in his 50's and seems to have the energy of like two 20 years old combined.

Although he smokes crack, so there is that.

• Like 1

I bet if you showed Mark some of those videos of them playing at high speed he would think they sounded like shit. (And IMHO a lot of them are too fast). I do think the backing tracks severely limit them, but the trade-off is that everything is perfectly in sync, including the videos/pyro/etc. People tend to think Blink are some sort of joke band, so I bet by having a huge choreographed show that sounds almost identical to the album is something Mark thinks is good . The downside of this is that every show is basically the same, with very little room to improvise.

After doing this for 1.5 years straight, it's going to be hard to maintain that raw magical "energy" you all speak of every single night. (Kurt Cobain was going to quit Nirvana because of this, and Tom has alluded to this as well saying he didn't want to go play the same songs every night...) But, for 99% of people who just casually go to one show, it sounds great and they don't know enough about the dudes to recognize this magical "energy" (or if Mark is faking it or is a grumpy Dad now). For the 1% of us who give a fuck about Blink and compare every performance to prime Blink, then yeah it's going to be different. 

I'm definitely glad they made Neighborhoods/D.E.D./Cali/DLX.

• Like 1

I've got a rip of an entire show that was posted for download here in 2004. Was in Orlando I think. Anyway, they sound so shitty playing the entire setlist fast. Then you couple in Tom's slurring words.

It was one of those things. When they were on, it was cool as fuck. But when they weren't, it sounded really shitty and stupid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Olidamus said:

The problem with your theory is that I can't stand Tom, I haven't liked him since 2006.

It would take you, I don't know, another 8 years to catch up to me with me on that idea?

But if you watch that video, it really is like "What the fuck"?

It is stuff like that which really makes me think Blink should have never come back after 2004. Imagine the legendary status they'd have now? I think I'd take that over what has transpired. I'd get over not having Neighborhoods/California and drunk fat Tom standing around onstage with  love shirt and tight jeans on or Matt awkwardly having zero chemistry with the band.

It would have been better to have gone out on top.

I agree.

Also could live without Neighborhoods/DED/Cali. And yeah, the band might have been perceived differently today (iconic even?)

• Like 1

Sure, comparing to blink in their prime, their live show will always look bad.  But compare today's shows with Matt to the shows with Tom from 2011-2014 and its absolutely a noticeable improvement.  Tom definitely got more shitty, no doubt about that, but your complaint here would be even more valid if Tom was still in the band.  Frankly, they never sounded particularly "good" live as it was, you go to one of their shows for the fun of the rock show, not to be blown away by how amazing they sound live (with exception to Travis who always puts on an amazing display with his talent).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ghent said:

I've got a rip of an entire show that was posted for download here in 2004. Was in Orlando I think. Anyway, they sound so shitty playing the entire setlist fast. Then you couple in Tom's slurring words.

It was one of those things. When they were on, it was cool as fuck. But when they weren't, it sounded really shitty and stupid.

but thats how they sound all the time now.  Its not fair to use the excuse of that was so long ago, theres zero reason they cant still be like that today.  The band is just plain boring now.  Matt is not a good replacement for Tom, who was the main frontman for this band.

17 hours ago, Dylan_ said:

Age shouldn't matter at all. The guys are only in their 40's.

They sound boring and lackluster these days.

Even 4 years ago they sounded a hell of a lot better when I saw them

I was at that show, right up front. I've seen 60+ concerts and that was by far the craziest show I've ever been to. I feared for my life at times. They were pulling people unconscious out of the crowd. Saw one crowd surfer who came up, unconscious, eyes rolled back in her head. It was too much.

On 5/9/2017 at 6:22 PM, horchata said:

They use backing tracks on all the songs. Feeling ThIs has the tambourine jingle at the end of the song which is obviously backtracked. If you pay close attention, I'm confident every song has some sort of backing track.

And, if not, they are 'pacing' the songs by click track (Travis, setting the tempo hearing it on his ear monitors)

On 9/5/2017 at 1:39 PM, Dylan_ said:

Age shouldn't matter at all. The guys are only in their 40's.

They sound boring and lackluster these days.

Even 4 years ago they sounded a hell of a lot better when I saw them

I'm jealous you saw this show. It was my dream to see blink in a smaller venue. But you know, with Tom. Looks like a blast and they sounded great!!!

On 9/5/2017 at 2:28 AM, Feeling_This_1 said:

i love the 2004 performances of old songs that they kinda tried to make sound like the cure. they were really on to something with that blink meets the cure sound. too bad they never actually rolled with it when they reunited. that cover of "another girl another planet" is the closest we'll ever get to it. obviously, it's not a cure song but it showed what they were capable of doing 

• Like 3