Neighborhoods is six

Ixidor

6 minutes ago, Speedo said:

I feel like Tom does what I do in putting words in place that fit the melody and syllable structure as placemarkers for new songs only he then forgets to rewrite those lines and the placemarkers become actual lyrics.

would explain a lot of the 'wtf?' moments he has later on. I never do placeholder lyrics, because you'll never 'unstick' them from your brain, at least I don't. I have a starting line in one of my songs that goes "With 6 years inbetween us and nothing else except your disgusting sexual organ" which was meant as a placeholder until I could find something that said what i meant more succinctly (and less gross) but while I was working on it, I kept singing it automatically and after a while I was just using that line and my family had overheard me and were like "that line is awful" and I was like "well... I like it! it's staying!" ITS BEEN THERE SINCE I WAS 21 SPEEDO, I CAN'T GET RID OF IT haha

• Like 1

I'm usually pretty good about changing them ... I can't think of any songs I have that the placeholder has stayed. I get messed up on inflection a bit and the emphasis on syllables ... I'll sing something one way for a while and decide it should go another way but recording it usually takes me a few times of singing it wrong before I realize my mistake.

1 hour ago, ryan1125 said:

Whatttt?! Wow I did not know that UAN got so much hate around here, f'ing love that song. Straight up banger and the lyrics hit me right in the feelssss. 

I love UAN, to me the lyrics are great and Mark and Tom play off each other well.  

I always cringe a little bit at the outro though, their attempt to go "heavy" just kinda makes me chuckle.  Top Blink song for me, although it has never really worked live. 

38 minutes ago, Kay said:

the lyrics are fairly weak. I mean seriously, opening line "Everyone wants to call it, all around our life with a better name." what the fuck does that even mean? 

I've always just taken it to mean that everyone tends to over exaggerate things about their own lives... aka giving a "better name" to describe things you are doing. The whole song is about an internal struggle at that point in their lives...it's genuine and I've also felt like a lot of it is directly from Tom in regards to his history with Blink... 

Everyone wants to call it all around our life with a better name, (Over exaggerating their own life)
Everyone falls and spins and gets up again, with a friend who does the same. (Having a falling out with a good friend, love this line as this has happened to me. Also could be Mark + Tom)
Everyone lies and cheats their wants and needs and still believes their heart... (Doing things selfishly, and believing it's fine...)
And everyone gets the chills, the kind that kills when the pain begins to start (Trying to describe the point of being overcome with emotion/pain)

Let me get this straight, do you want me here? (Tom directly asking about his involvement with Blink)
As I struggle through, each and every year (In regards to depression/drug use/boredom/growing up)
And all these demons, they keep me up all night... (Self explanatory, all the crazy things in life keep him up at night)

Everyone's cross to bear the crown they wear on endless holiday (The burden of being treated like a "king" (celeb) wherever they go with endless time off...)
Everyone raises kids in a world that changes life to a bitter game (Self explanatory, raising kids with no experience and how it changes everything)
And everyone lives to tell the tale of how we die alone some day... (We all live and die alone when all this is over...)

It was exactly what I wanted and expected from grown up Blink-182.

• Like 1

The only songs I don't really like are MH and Love is Dangerous and even those aren't that bad. The rest of the album is pretty great, looking back. Although I don't listen to it much, I probably enjoy this album more now than I did when I first heard it.

Also, even with all the post-reunion bullshit, the buildup to Neighborhoods was such an exciting time to be a blink fan. To this day I've never been so excited to hear a song as I was when Up All Night was released. I don't know that I'll ever feel the excited about a piece of new music ever again. I literally almost cried tears of joy hearing Mark and Tom trading off vocals on a song for the first time since the hiatus.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ryan1125 said:

Whatttt?! Wow I did not know that UAN got so much hate around here, f'ing love that song. Straight up banger and the lyrics hit me right in the feelssss. 

I think the lyrics are a bit ridiculous, but the music of the song is so terrible that the lyrics actually lift the song rather than dragging it down. The chorus is nice though. But fuck that terrible riff.

Haha, I love the riff and intro. Up All Night always got a mixed reaction on this board. Only signed up over a year ago, but I did regularly check the boards out to read other opinions of blink fans and I remember when it was released, people either loved it or hated it.

Hearts All Gone got a much better reaction. But it was like an unmixed/raw version. That or either a different mix.

4 hours ago, ryan1125 said:

I've always just taken it to mean that everyone tends to over exaggerate things about their own lives... aka giving a "better name" to describe things you are doing. The whole song is about an internal struggle at that point in their lives...it's genuine and I've also felt like a lot of it is directly from Tom in regards to his history with Blink... 

Everyone wants to call it all around our life with a better name, (Over exaggerating their own life)
Everyone falls and spins and gets up again, with a friend who does the same. (Having a falling out with a good friend, love this line as this has happened to me. Also could be Mark + Tom)
Everyone lies and cheats their wants and needs and still believes their heart... (Doing things selfishly, and believing it's fine...)
And everyone gets the chills, the kind that kills when the pain begins to start (Trying to describe the point of being overcome with emotion/pain)

Let me get this straight, do you want me here? (Tom directly asking about his involvement with Blink)
As I struggle through, each and every year (In regards to depression/drug use/boredom/growing up)
And all these demons, they keep me up all night... (Self explanatory, all the crazy things in life keep him up at night)

Everyone's cross to bear the crown they wear on endless holiday (The burden of being treated like a "king" (celeb) wherever they go with endless time off...)
Everyone raises kids in a world that changes life to a bitter game (Self explanatory, raising kids with no experience and how it changes everything)
And everyone lives to tell the tale of how we die alone some day... (We all live and die alone when all this is over...)

It was exactly what I wanted and expected from grown up Blink-182.

Thats some extreme speculation, batman.

From a pure songwriting perspective, starting a song with a lyric that refers to something as 'it' is silly. you haven't established what you're referring to, so starting with 'everyone wants to call it all around our life with a better name' doesn't make any sense. you don't establish what 'it' is, and you don't really lead on to explain 'it' later. if the theme was built up previously, and this line was included later on, it would make sense but as a starting point it just doesn't - it's an incredibly awkward sentence. theres other actually okay lines in the song, and im sure there are hidden meanings, but a lot of it is just clunky and awkwardly written - a kind of classic Tom thing to do, really. he has a very tenuous grasp on the structure of the english language. I'm dyslexic and even I know the guy can't string a coherent thought together. 

14 hours ago, Kay said:

the lyrics are fairly weak. I mean seriously, opening line "Everyone wants to call it, all around our life with a better name." what the fuck does that even mean? 

You say that yet I know you love Kaleidoscope (i do as well). The verses in that song are just random phrases that have nothing to do with each other. 

2 hours ago, knapton said:

You say that yet I know you love Kaleidoscope (i do as well). The verses in that song are just random phrases that have nothing to do with each other. 

Yes but they at least make actual sense within themselves. Plus, each line in Kaleidoscope is about being denied the chance to do what you like, and wasting time in the interim. all of Mark's lyrics are literally "ffs just let me do blink" 

• 2 weeks later...

One of the weird things about this album was how 2 versions were released. The Deluxe is the real version according to the band. The standard edition is stupid because the songs it excludes are all good (Snake Charmer, Hearts All Gone Interlude, Fighting the Gravity, Even if She Falls). I just never understood the track order, which was always perfect on their other albums. Also why would the label think 13 songs + an interlude is too much? And its not like CDs were still a popular thing by this point

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

One of the weird things about this album was how 2 versions were released. The Deluxe is the real version according to the band. The standard edition is stupid because the songs it excludes are all good (Snake Charmer, Hearts All Gone Interlude, Fighting the Gravity, Even if She Falls). I just never understood the track order, which was always perfect on their other albums. Also why would the label think 13 songs + an interlude is too much? And its not like CDs were still a popular thing by this point

I always thought that was super weird too. I think they didn't think it was "too much," I think they just thought a cheaper version of the album would attract more buyers. They definitely should have cut different songs out for the short version.

12 hours ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

i think this was interscope just being stupid... they didn't know how to market rock acts at that point and i know neighborhoods' performance was a strong reason they left interscope the next year

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

I think it was just Interscope or whatever double-dipping. Kid at Wal-Mart or Target, sees Neighborhoods, picks it up. That same kid sees a longer version of the album online or at best buy, buys it again. Based on neighborhood's sales, this marketing plan wasn't too successful. 

Yeah just a weird attempt by the music industry to prop up album sales for a few years there. Don't really see them bothering with that anymore.

5 hours ago, Sebastián said:

(I've recently read a book called How Music Got Free, on the advent of the MP3, music piracy and streaming, and if I remember correctly, it stated that 2000 was the year in which the most CDs were sold)

this is a FANTASTIC book, i urge anyone on this board to read it if you're interested in how pirating music became so common

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Champ182 said:

Yeah just a weird attempt by the music industry to prop up album sales for a few years there. Don't really see them bothering with that anymore.

Nah I'm still a CD guy due to my car but CDs are dead. But sometimes you can only buy certain songs on an album if you buy the entire thing on iTunes, which is like the reverse of this trick in my book.