Patient #48273

Religious/spiritual beliefs (or lack thereof)

It's been a while since we've had one of these threads, so what does everyone believe? What were you raised to believe and have you strayed from that?

Catholic school K-8th grade.

Agnostic since age 20 or so

Raised Russian and Greek Orthodox Christian, went to church every week, that sort of thing. Agnostic for a few months after turning 16 and then atheist ever since then. 

Dad has always been an atheist, mom would drag us to random church events (Christmas service, Easter etc). 

Atheist for a long time. 

I was raised by vaguely Christian, but not devout parents. I was 17 or 18 when I became an agnostic. I'm still technically an agnostic, but I lean heavily towards the atheist side.

I have a very "live and let live" attitude about religions though. I don't care what religious people believe as long as they're not trying to tell me what to believe or influence the government/public sector.

My parents aren't religious, neither are my living grandparents but they still saw fit to drag me to churches a lot as a kid - to this day I don't actually know why. I'm essentially agnostic. My father believes in some spiritual things outside of religion and there are some things that, despite logic and common sense, that I do kind of believe in as a result of that exposure. I think there is definitely something 'else' about the world that is out of our realm of understanding but I don't necessarily think it's a deity, or strong, or has any moral compass. 

I am not an atheist though, because as much as I think the concept of God is ridiculous, I think claiming that there isn't one with 100% conviction to be just as ridiculous. No one actually knows, to claim either is arrogant. 

My family are all Lutheran, Baptist and Catholic. My mother is agnostic and never pushed us in one way or another.

The older I get the less atheist I become, not in a sense of finding faith but more so just not caring. I don't identify as anything, I put my head down and worry about what I have in front of me. God or no God, it's no concern of mine.

I am, however, embarrassed about how angry, militant atheist I used to be ... People like that need to get their teeth kicked in. It never happened to me and I feel I was all the worse for it.

• Like 1

Just now, Speedo said:

I am, however, embarrassed about how angry, militant atheist I use to be ... People like that need to get their teeth kicked in. It never happened to me and I feel I was all the worse for it.

Haha, same. I think most non-believers go through that phase though. I certainly did. But I think most also grow out of it. Maybe there should be a time limit: get over your militant atheism within 2 (?) years or get the shit kicked out of you.

• Like 1

Raised Baptist, then Catholic, as a kid, up till about age 22 y/o, church was just kind of something I was forced to do, but I never gave it much thought.

Then when my grandmother died in 2004, I just couldn't accept that she could be totally gone, I had like this religious epiphany where I became determined to find proof of "the other side" and that she wasn't really gone. Needless to say, I never really found it. Although I did have one "experience" that can't be explained.

By 2007/2008 I really pulled away from it, and just started thinking in rational terms, and the rationality of it was that it was all a bunch of bullshit. Especially the organized side of things. It wasn't like this thing where I was mad at God or any of that shit. It just logically made no sense.

Now I am an agnostic, the way it is presented, I am about 99.9% sure is bullshit. HOWEVER, I am not smart enough, nor do I think anyone is, to have the universe figured out. So there might be something, and as I said, I've had unexplained "experiences" that would lend credence that there is more, but not as it is presented.

Also, from a historical perspective, Jesus likely did exist, but the whole "son of God" thing and most of the details of his life are likely bullshit.

I'd say I've grown halfway-75% out of my militant atheist phase. Although lately I just haven't been giving a fuck about anything anyone has been doing so the process of it is speeding up I think. 

2 minutes ago, Nasa said:

I'd say I've grown halfway-75% out of my militant atheist phase. Although lately I just haven't been giving a fuck about anything anyone has been doing so the process of it is speeding up I think. 

I'm coining the phrase "apatheist" ... That's basically me right now.

• Like 3

Just now, Speedo said:

Essentially, yeah. I think religion is garbage and the concept of God is silly, but I also think no one wants to hear me talk about that. Shaming people for their beliefs achieves nothing.

So now I just go about my life letting people live theirs. The only time I get militant atheist is in my own head when I read about something shitty that involves religion (whether it's in the news or in something for school) and I just spend a day stewing in my own head until I get over myself.

Went to Catholic school K-12 and a catholic university by coincidence. Parents are kind of religious, but it’s more of just a traditional and generational thing that you raise your kids in the church and take them to church on sundays sometimes. Been agnostic since when I started high school though.

Have always been agnostic, leaning on atheism. Was baptized protestant, but raised very non-religiously.

On 10/6/2017 at 5:21 PM, Speedo said:

I love it!

• Like 1

So, do we have any believers here? Have they been frightened off by all the agnostics and atheists who've posted already?

Raised Christian, but on a very 'light' environment; agnostic since I can remember (9 or 10, petty much). Really.

I never was obligued to go to church. I decided by myself to not take first comunion, as long as -since I remember- I alwas showed an agnostic attitude towards any way of religious expression. Never got interested. I've been lucky enough to have the type of parents that allowed me to be totally free in this regard. They never said anything against my decission.

I do respect those who are involved with any way, shape or form of religion/belief, if that doesn't interefere with me directly or tries to cut my way of living. I do believe there is 'something' out there (maybe because I just can't comprehend how big and wonderful the universe is and how it could happen). I don't have any idea of what's that, maybe is only an spiritual kind of interest, but I never explored it, if that makes any sense.

8 hours ago, Kay said:

I love it!

It's one of my fine moments, I appreciate the love.