RomeoAndRebecca

A boring story about why I'm here

Hi, all. I'm 23 years old and I love to play drums. I'm from the Midwest. In the past I've typically browsed r/blink182. I stumbled upon this community recently and found the discussions much more honest, thought out, and (for the most part) mature.

Here's a boring story about why I'm here: I loved this band, hated them for a period, then grew to love them again. I became a serious blink fan in about 2009 when I was 14. Enema and Dude Ranch were my first full blink albums. I explored the rest of their catalogue up to untitled. Travis had a considerable influence on me as a drummer, as I played in a band of my own during this time. Throughout high school and community college my music taste began to shift, and I dropped blink. Out of curiosity, I gave the "Up All Night" single a listen in 2011. I didn't follow up with other releases.

In 2015, I moved off to university. One drunken night I decided to see what one of my "older" favorite bands had been up the past few years. I discovered Dogs Eating Dogs first. Instantly loved DED. I was super pleased with the direction and sound blink had pursued. A month later I heard Neighborhoods for the first time. Another instant classic for me. Both of these releases drew me back into the band, and still deliver a rush of nostalgia for that time of my life.

I was insanely excited for the release of California, mostly due to the indication of more experimental, mature music. California was obviously approached in a different way than most of us expected, but I still enjoyed a few listens here and there. This album, to me, is a clear indicator that the willpower and artistic strength of this band is, and has been, diminishing. I think both Tom and Mark are to blame for that in their own ways.

Still, I've been glad to call myself a fan of these guys again, and glad to have found this community. Just for shits, here are my top 5 favorite releases by the boys:

1. Dogs Eating Dogs
  2. Neighborhoods
  3. The Dream Walker (AvA)
  4. Dude Ranch
  5. When Your Heart Stops Beating (+44)

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Welcome! You seem like an interesting poster. I hope you stick around. :)

• Like 1

Stick around, don't take yourself or other people here too seriously and stay away from Jan.

• Like 1

Hi, and welcome! I'm a new forum member as well, but I've enjoyed the forum a lot - hopefully you will too. :)

I liked your introduction! I'm curious:

1. I'm also influenced by Travis' playing in a way, eventhough I play guitar. What are your favourite Travis' parts? Or, just in general, what have you learnt/discovered from listening to him?
  2. What music/artists were you listening to in high school & community college, when your "music taste began to shift"?

14 hours ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

Welcome!

You do realise that tom had nothing to do with california?

Thanks!

I do know that. I was mainly referring to Tom delaying album releases and not committing entirely. I don't hold anything against him for leaving though.

Welcome dude. Glad someone else can appreciate both Dream Walker and Dude Ranch haha

On 10/19/2017 at 2:59 AM, boxelder said:

great post, hope you stick around. that's an interesting ranking of the albums you've got there haha

I have a true love for all blink albums, but this is probably just a list of those I connect with the most.

On 10/21/2017 at 1:15 AM, Sebastián said:

Hi, and welcome! I'm a new forum member as well, but I've enjoyed the forum a lot - hopefully you will too. :)

I liked your introduction! I'm curious:

1. I'm also influenced by Travis' playing in a way, eventhough I play guitar. What are your favourite Travis' parts? Or, just in general, what have you learnt/discovered from listening to him?
  2. What music/artists were you listening to in high school & community college, when your "music taste began to shift"?

1. It's hard to describe how he's influenced me. He has a certain flair. He listens to simple guitar riffs and fills them with an interesting feel or color. Travis has taught me to listen to a melody, consider all possibilities, and really practice out the most appropriate drum part. Sometimes you have to apply more, sometimes less will do. His drumming in Dumpweed was really influential to me. Clever use of halftime, weird inversion of rhythms, good fill transitions, sensible rhythmic attack on the guitar melody, etc.) It's been awhile since I've been in a band classroom, but that's the best way I remember how to describe it. I might post some of my bands songs at some point. Even growing up in my local music scene, the older drummers I looked up to had some type of Travis Barker influence in their playing. It was just all over the place.

2. My music taste began to shift when I started to listen to more indie or alternative bands. I strayed from blink and listened to Minus the Bear, Third Eye Blind, Street Smart Cyclist, Radiohead, polarOPPOSITEbear, So Many Dynamos, Snowing, TTNG, Algernon Cadwallader, Ten Grand, and a bunch of other random shit. They allowed me to grow as a musician, but I never really strayed from my Travis influence. It was great for me as a drummer. I think my love for indie and alternative is why I love Dogs Eating Dogs and Neighborhoods so much. It was just such a good direction.

• Love 1

On 10/23/2017 at 3:20 AM, Kay said:

Welcome dude. Glad someone else can appreciate both Dream Walker and Dude Ranch haha

Looks like we're a rare breed. Every release is special in its own way.

7 hours ago, RomeoAndRebecca said:

Kansas! No Oz references, please.

What a wonderful place!  What do you do in your spare time?

On 3/11/2017 at 2:08 AM, RomeoAndRebecca said:

1. It's hard to describe how he's influenced me. He has a certain flair. He listens to simple guitar riffs and fills them with an interesting feel or color. Travis has taught me to listen to a melody, consider all possibilities, and really practice out the most appropriate drum part. Sometimes you have to apply more, sometimes less will do. His drumming in Dumpweed was really influential to me. Clever use of halftime, weird inversion of rhythms, good fill transitions, sensible rhythmic attack on the guitar melody, etc.) It's been awhile since I've been in a band classroom, but that's the best way I remember how to describe it. I might post some of my bands songs at some point. Even growing up in my local music scene, the older drummers I looked up to had some type of Travis Barker influence in their playing. It was just all over the place.

Interesting points!

Especially the one about 'weird inversion of rhythms'. For almost 10 years, the rhythmic aspect of some songs confused the hell out of me. The intros in "Don't leave me" and "Violence", the pre-choruses in "Going away to college", the solo in the outro of BCR's "Sorrow"... sometimes he accentuates off-beat so, when you think you are following the music, a guitar or a vocal (or another drum line) seems like it comes out of nowhere. It took me a long time to understand the rhythm and accents in "Going away to college" and "Violence". Those songs/albums have a lot of replay value! :)

I'm not sure if we are thinking the same thing, but I wanted to point that out.