Celebrate life in honour of Chester Bennington

Meltdown Tracker

I just hope they don't continue Linkin Park, I don't know, playing his music so soon after....I am split on that idea.....I think its best to retire it. I sure as shit know I wouldn't be up there playing his music like that. But if Chester would have supported it? I guess I can't question it.

Blink playing that song, it just felt like a big gaping hole. Its just odd. When Kurt Cobain died, the rest of Nirvana wouldn't have touched those songs with a ten foot pole, to me, its a respect thing. Sure 25 years later, when time heals things, then a one time thing is alright.

I guess it was just a bit odd for me.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

there's no need to be a douche in a thread about honouring the deceased lead singer...

i was being prickish, it's true. but that band suuuuuuuuuuucks.

i'm sure their singer was a fine human being, and was beloved, and it's sad when beloved human beings die early. that has nothing to do with my assessment of the music. put another way, it's totally fine to attend a funeral and whisper to your partner "jesus that guy was a jerk." i'm just whispering "god, that band was terrible."

I actually don’t mind Skiba’s guitar tone on “I Miss You”, the instruments all sounded fine IMO, but Mark’s vocals were embarrassingly off. It’s like he’s out of breathe all the time. Agreed that Skiba looked bored, I’d be bored singing someone else’s corny teen emo hit too. Tom was so bored of it he’d rather build a spaceship. 

Liked the idea of the cover, but Mark singing it just killed it for me. Travis killed it as usual, overall it was a nice gesture and I was glad everyone held it together emotionally. Don’t know how they did.

• Like 2

My cousin despised Linkin Park but saw them at a festival and gained respect for them, he said Chester sounded amazing and apparently he had the flu and still gave the performance 100%, my cousin told me he could never like them, but he respected them. I wish I got to see them live.

I like most of their music, it can be a bit formulaic, but I am not sure how anyone can say they sucked.

34 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i was being prickish, it's true. but that band suuuuuuuuuuucks.

i'm sure their singer was a fine human being, and was beloved, and it's sad when beloved human beings die early. that has nothing to do with my assessment of the music. put another way, it's totally fine to attend a funeral and whisper to your partner "jesus that guy was a jerk." i'm just whispering "god, that band was terrible."

I was never a fan, but I'm not going to use this thread as an opportunity to talk shit about them/Chester and you probably shouldn't either.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

I'm not going to use this thread as an opportunity to talk shit about them/Chester and you probably shouldn't either.

suggesting what i should or should not do goes well beyond simply disliking what i said. you declared the comment douchey, and i agreed with you.

edit: i was unaware that this man committed suicide. that is certainly no laughing matter. i do apologize for not having known this (just now looked it up).

2 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

suggesting what i should or should not do goes well beyond simply disliking what i said. you declared the comment douchey, and i agreed with you.

It does go beyond disliking what you said and I still stand by it. You can heed the advice or not, that's entirely up to you.

19 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

You can heed the advice or not, that's entirely up to you.

although your comment was ominous, i just did a search for linkin park on here and found a thread that was started over this past summer when the singer's death was announced. ok, you've got me here. i had no idea this band was so beloved. there were many touching comments on that thread about what this band meant to people. for someone of my generation (gen X), linkin park is universally mocked—they're in the same category as nickelback or creed.

and that was how i assumed my snark would be taken. but it would appear for people of a certain age that this band was quite important.

sorry i shitted on this thread. *out of touch middle age dude kicks can, exits scene*

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

My cousin despised Linkin Park but saw them at a festival and gained respect for them, he said Chester sounded amazing and apparently he had the flu and still gave the performance 100%, my cousin told me he could never like them, but he respected them. I wish I got to see them live.

They came to my town at the peak of Meteora, was so stoked to see them...get to the venue and Chester was “sick” and they cancelled the show. 

They felt so bad that they stood outside and signed posters. I’ve got a Meteora poster signed by everyone EXCEPT Chester... :( They never did make up the date.

26 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

although your comment was ominous, i just did a search for linkin park on here and found a thread that was started over this past summer when the singer's death was announced. ok, you've got me here. i had no idea this band was so beloved. there were many touching comments on that thread about what this band meant to people. for someone of my generation (gen X), linkin park is universally mocked—they're in the same category as nickelback or creed.

and that was how i assumed my snark would be taken. but it would appear for people of a certain age that this band was quite important.

sorry i shitted on this thread. *out of touch middle age dude kicks can, exits scene*

I would hate Linkin Park too if I wasn't a dumb millennial. But I am, so part of my loves them, their original stuff at least.

Regardless Chester is a phenomenal vocalist, non debatable.

2 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Davey being a pretentious dick shouldn't really surprise anyone.

nah, my views on linkin park don't fit that category (which, admittedly, is sizeable).  i just misjudged the crowd—and the first rule of discourse is know your audience. there is nothing pretentious about disliking linkin park; dislike for them would appear to be, as i pointed out, generational.

6 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

nah, my views on linkin park don't fit that category (which, admittedly, is sizeable).  i just misjudged the crowd—and the first rule of discourse is know your audience. there is nothing pretentious about disliking linkin park; dislike for them would appear to be, as i pointed out, generational.

I don't really like them either. Let me change my statement.

***Davey being a dick shouldn't really surprise anyone. 

• Like 1