WHAT IF: Enema was released today

bojangles

I think Enema would be popular in the underground / non-mainstream punk world, but certainly not anywhere else. Guitar-based music has been on the decline for years.

I also don't think it would have been very much of a problem in PC culture... PC people hardly ever pay attention to song lyrics to the point where, upon giving them closer attention, they point to them as examples of something like sexism. They're more likely to complain about representations of women in movies or video games because those mediums are visual and it's a lot less work to attack them.

I don't think music gets attention from people for its sexism or misogyny unless it's really, really overt. Like Eminem's song "Kim" and parts of the rest of The Marshall Mathers LP. And that was in 2000. That Usher song "OMG" featuring will.i.am has lyrics like "Honey got a booty like pow, pow, pow / Honey got some boobies like wow, oh wow," and that didn't cause a stir in 2010 (and that's a pop song). I don't think it's any different in 2017. Lyrics from all genres of music that are more and less sexist than "I need a girl that I can train" aren't blowing up. Music is not a medium that PC people really pay attention to.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nasa said:

I think Enema would be popular in the underground / non-mainstream punk world, but certainly not anywhere else. Guitar-based music has been on the decline for years.

I also don't think it would have been very much of a problem in PC culture... PC people hardly ever pay attention to song lyrics to the point where, upon giving them closer attention, they point to them as examples of something like sexism. They're more likely to complain about representations of women in movies or video games because those mediums are visual and it's a lot less work to attack them.

I don't think music gets attention from people for its sexism or misogyny unless it's really, really overt. Like Eminem's song "Kim" and parts of the rest of The Marshall Mathers LP. And that was in 2000. That Usher song "OMG" featuring will.i.am has lyrics like "Honey got a booty like pow, pow, pow / Honey got some boobies like wow, oh wow," and that didn't cause a stir in 2010 (and that's a pop song). I don't think it's any different in 2017. Lyrics from all genres of music that are more and less sexist than "I need a girl that I can train" aren't blowing up. Music is not a medium that PC people really pay attention to.

Unless it's a Lily Allen video where they haven't noticed the white dancers, then it's all gone to crap. 

1 minute ago, Nasa said:

^^^^ True.

Or if Taylor Swift is ripping off Beyoncé or something. But again, that’s not about lyrics.

double truth, people get super weird about music videos.