Jump to content

Recommended Posts

With regards to Tom's sticker strat, does anybody know how often he switched to the Seymour Duncan Hot Rail in the neck position? Did it contribute to much of his sound back then or was it rarely used? Any info or pics would be great! Even a list of songs that you might think are using the hot rails

Thanks, Gary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GaryTheStone said:

With regards to Tom's sticker strat, does anybody know how often he switched to the Seymour Duncan Hot Rail in the neck position? Did it contribute to much of his sound back then or was it rarely used? Any info or pics would be great! Even a list of songs that you might think are using the hot rails

Thanks, Gary

my guess, from playing my own guitar, was almost never. there are a couple recordings i suspect it could be on (emo, for one). and that would have been at trombino's suggestion. because mark trombino actually knows about guitars.

live? never, to my recall. and i saw blink play dozens upon dozens of times 1995–1998. tom didn't know shit about guitars then. he doesn't even know much now.

i'd bet you dollars to donuts, he had a tech friend that recommended all that gear. and the hand cut angled position for the X2N? everyone was doing that because billy joe did it to his fernandes strat copy 'blue.' few people knew what it does to the tone (due to the change in resonance, you get bassier bass and sharper treble in the angled position). there's a video with billie joe's own touring guitar tech, and he didn't even know this. 

the best evidence for this was, when it came time to design a custom fender strat, what did tom do? he took everything off, even the fucking tone knobs! that's like saying "i don't care to learn about different guitar tones." i doubt he ever touched the pickup selector, unless by accident, on his sticker strat.

in my own playing, i use the X2N for soCal punk rock (blink, bad religion, NOFX, pennywise, all that good stuff). tone on 10.

for other bands that are sort of the like the in between zone of pop punk and emo rock (motion city soundtrack  being one example), i tend to set it to use both duncans. tone still on 10.

for bands with a thick, syrupy sound (this is like many alternative rock 90s bands i play, like weezer), i use the neck duncan only, tone down to zero. it's so thick you can stand a spoon up in it.

all of this is running through my ampeg VL 1002 with marshall cab. channel 1 i use for classic rock distortion through the X2N (bands like AC/DC). using the duncans on channel 1 gets me a dry indie rock tone (great for bands like the get up kids, promise ring, etc). channel 2 is the punk channel, completely overdriven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, daveyjones said:

my guess, from playing my own guitar, was almost never. there are a couple recordings i suspect it could be on (emo, for one). and that would have been at trombino's suggestion. because mark trombino actually knows about guitars.

live? never, to my recall. tom didn't know shit about guitars then. he doesn't even know much now.

i'd bet you dollars to donuts, he had a tech friend that recommended all that gear. and the hand cut angled position for the X2N? everyone was doing that because billy joe did it to his fernandes strat copy 'blue.' few people knew what it does to the tone (due to the change in resonance, you get bassier bass and sharper treble in the angled position). 

the best evidence for this was, when it came time to design a custom fender strat, what did tom do? he took everything off, even the fucking tone knobs! that's like saying "i don't care to learn about different guitar tones." i doubt he ever touched the pickup selector, unless by accident, on his sticker strat.

I had read in a few places that all Tom wanted was that searing punk tone. His rig at that time was as punk as it got. The only time it wasn't like that was when he screwed around with the volume knob during songs (i.e. Untitled, Ben Wah Balls).

However, with your experimenting with the amp and other pickups, it makes for an insanely versatile instrument, which is why I'm so hype to start mine when I can ;D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Q182 said:

with your experimenting with the amp and other pickups, it makes for an insanely versatile instrument

yea i'm SUPER stoked. with these pickups, a single guitar, and two amp channels, i can get more than a dozen tones to play along to all my favorite bands.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't of asked for a better response! I've never delved into the early side of blink too deep, I became a fan when Enema came out (I was sixteen) & always loved Budda & Cheshire Cat to listen to but it ended there! I just bought a second hand Hotrails from eBay & a wire is broken so not sure if it's going to affect the sound much or not at all, but if the pickup is going to be mainly visual then I won't worry too much! I also play in a blink tribute band, so trying to get as close to the original sound live is something I want to try & achieve too!! 

Cheers for the info regarding tones for other bands too Davey, I'm looking forward to getting the Sticker Strat finished so I can play about with the pickups & tones (running through a Mesa duel rec & jcm900 via an ABY) 

Also, do you think the trem on Tom's Sticker Strat was blocked off as obviously trem wasn't his thing & It might of been something the tech done when the pickups were fitted?!

Either way it's something I'm definitely going to do to mine, it would just be nice to hear others opinions!

 

Also, thanks again for the stickers Davey, your a top guy!

 

P.S referring to the angled pickup, I got my first Strat in 94', I angled the humbucker too purely because Billie Joe did!! : )

I tried to upload a pic but for some reason I can't upload picture to this website?! It keeps saying file size can't be bigger than 49mb but none are? Anyone else have this issue?!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the angled pickup ACTUALLY changes anything. By angling a standard spaced pickup, you're just lining it up with the strings correctly. A Fender-spaced humbucker that's installed normally would achieve the same effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2017 at 7:29 AM, GaryTheStone said:

I'm looking forward to getting the Sticker Strat finished so I can play about with the pickups & tones (running through a Mesa duel rec & jcm900 via an ABY) 

Also, do you think the trem on Tom's Sticker Strat was blocked off as obviously trem wasn't his thing & It might of been something the tech done when the pickups were fitted?!

What version of the guitar are you going with? I’ve seen with the others that have done it that the Dammit version is very popular. Also what version of the Dual Rec are you using? The 2 channel or 3 channel? I don’t think the trem was touched at all because things like that never phased him in the slightest. The only thing that was changed about that piece was when the saddles got swapped in ‘96. Regarding image hosting, you need to use a third party image hoster like this: http://postimages.org/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2017 at 10:33 AM, ryanmfears said:

I don't think the angled pickup ACTUALLY changes anything. By angling a standard spaced pickup, you're just lining it up with the strings correctly. A Fender-spaced humbucker that's installed normally would achieve the same effect.

 

no an angled pickup changes the sound of the strings in relation to the bridge. the closer to the bridge, the more trebly the sound, the further from the bridge you get it gets more bassy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/12/2017 at 3:52 AM, Q182 said:

What version of the guitar are you going with? I’ve seen with the others that have done it that the Dammit version is very popular. Also what version of the Dual Rec are you using? The 2 channel or 3 channel? I don’t think the trem was touched at all because things like that never phased him in the slightest. The only thing that was changed about that piece was when the saddles got swapped in ‘96. Regarding image hosting, you need to use a third party image hoster like this: http://postimages.org/

I think I'm gonna go all the way with the stickers, I believe Lagwagon was the last added! I've managed to find a White Strat body with a two point trem & I'm putting the neck from my first guitar, which was a squire strat which happens to be a 94' which is a cool coincidence I think. I've got the three channel Mesa, it works really well along side the Marshall, looking forward to trying the Sticker Strat through it! I just meant do you think the trem was disabled coz the two points are a bit more lively & i could imagine it being a pain in the backside live. I just wedged a block of wood in mine which works a treat, just would be good to hear other opinions! : )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2017 at 7:33 AM, ryanmfears said:

I don't think the angled pickup ACTUALLY changes anything.

no, it does. because science.

just google around some guitar tech sites and you'll see a lot of documentation about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×